Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: exploring/expanding?  (Read 2941 times)

methodman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
exploring/expanding?
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »

hey

i know of dwarf fortress for quite some time now but i havent really started playing because i couldnt get the hang of it. i spent like a day watching lets plays and understood a good amount of content and got playing, but theres one thing that bugs me

when you start in fortress mode, can you not explore beyond where you started? are you restrained to this single patch of land out of 257x257 blocks?..that would ruin the experience for me because i assumed this game is meant as a way to make your fort, protect against shit and try to expand/explore/conquer/trade? what am i missing or what am i doing wrong

im new to this game, dont start telling me about this "fun" crap because im having fun but im wondering if what i asked is possible somehow, because i know you cant scroll with the arrow keys beyond a certain point

thanks for any answers, sorry if im a noob or something

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
Re: exploring/expanding?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:15:18 pm »

not really. but since wars and traders come to you, you will have plenty of that. you can also expand your starting size too if you want for a larger area.

though visiting old forts in adventure mode is fun, lots of loot  :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:18:39 pm »

some of the things you mentioned are on the to-do list, but I don't think you'll ever be able to make this a 4X game
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:32:20 pm »

Quite. On the army arc I believe, where more interactions from the world outside will come to you, and of course, you will end up being able to interact more with the world.

As of now though, you are constrained to whatever embark size you picked. Larger areas would... Well, destroy is generous. Your computer would vaporize. Trade is possible. Exploration is especially possible.

You just have to dig deeper.

methodman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 01:50:05 pm »

ohhhhhh yea now i see. so honestly is the entire world map is almost useless? (almost) i mean, sometimes i generate a world and there are those strongholds, are they only for adventure mode?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 02:12:03 pm »

ohhhhhh yea now i see. so honestly is the entire world map is almost useless? (almost) i mean, sometimes i generate a world and there are those strongholds, are they only for adventure mode?
Only adventure mode?
They're two sides of a constantly growing fractal.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 02:16:05 pm »

No, because that is where your trades and wars come from. Also as you build more forts in the same world you  can reclaim old forts or build in other places.

The forts and your adventurers will change the course of history over time, and your interactions with other civilizations can change politics (to a degree). They really arn't 'useless' because that is where the "outside" world originates in how everything works.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 05:19:22 pm »

You can't explore horizontally.
Vertically however; the sky is the limit. Underground sky. Yeah that was bad.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

ccoolleeiiss

• Bay Watcher
  • Welcome, goblins, to the seige kill...waiting room
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 06:50:38 pm »

Only adventure mode?
They're two sides of a constantly growing fractal.

Yea, according to the dev log, adventure mode is officially getting pimped out. The way entities interact is going to make adventure mode the most complex RPG ever made, unless it already is.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

methodman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 03:40:10 am »

would still like to see a way to expand and taking over the entire world

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:59 am »

it would be fun to generate a world with a single water source

and build a fort over it

and have the whole world siege your fort

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 05:13:25 am »

would still like to see a way to expand and taking over the entire world

Why would you want the world?  Can you even control the little slice of it you have?

DF isn't really a "you win everything forever" kind of game, if you want that experience you need to look elsewhere.  DF is more about "You have this.  It's not yours by any particular right, but you can keep it if you can hang onto it.  Oh, and try not to rot from inside while you're walling off the outside."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:18:17 am by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 08:39:32 am »

Indeed. Before you go off exploran everywhere, just try your luck in your fort. You'll find the challenge sufficiently daunting. If you really want to conquer the world, you could always try Adventure Mode and kill everybody.

Of course, you'd be the King of Nothing... or the King of Limbs. or King Crimson.

I should stop going to /mu/.