Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Age Of Myth: Platinumgod  (Read 6112 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age Of Myth: Platinumgod
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 01:00:01 pm »

Chapter 12: Duke and Duchess

Nothing major happened this month- for the fortress at least.  For me, much has happened.  But everyone has been entertained at least.  Well, I’m just going to write what happened to everyone and let whoever gets the chance to read this goddamn thing be the judge.

After that encounter with the gho- okay.  I’ll be fair here.  No one else actually believes that it was a ghost.  They can go to hell.  I believe it was a ghost so I’ll reference it as such, because this is my journal and I’ll do with it what I’ll like...

Either way, I was terrified.  After the initial consolations by the other men they stopped caring once my face didn’t look like marble.  This took about an hour, so I understand that they were done.  Rooms had to be mined after all.  They were happy to be busy.  Some one or another had to leave to go scout.  I didn’t really notice.  No one really wanted to talk to me and rumor quickly spread through the ten people here. 

However, one person stayed with me.  One person I have been seriously neglecting.  Even reading through this journal I realize I’ve only mentioned her a few times, and sometimes I even post her as a background person.  She said that it was okay, and mentioned how I had saved her from the beast.  But if I am brave and loving then I like mushrooms as a spice.  I am as much of a fool as I am a dwarf.

However, she is not.  She stayed with me, knowing that I was still hurt- and I told her everything.  I didn’t leave a single thing out- it was natural for me.  She was jokative without being rude, and the humor made it easier for what I saw to bear.  She stayed with me until I fell asleep from, and then I woke up alone- it was as if I was falling into a void, but without even the contact of air to keep me company.

I never wanted to be alone again.  I decided that it was time for us to stop ignoring eachother because of our troubles.  Love is strongest with a challenge, and both of us are used to the struggle.  We already had a son a few years back, and others already called her the duchess after the twenty five years of courting, but it was never official.  The gods never heard of my affection for her.

So I had the blacksmith forge me a platinum necklace with a roll in his eyes, and she walked in a few days after we had sacked the mayor’s supplies and asked me if I needed anything.  I said no but mentioned that she did.  She turned her head, curious.  Her eyes looked into me, and I knew it was the time.  Then I handed it to her, a blush going across my face despite all we had been through.  She did the traditional dwarvern marriage ritual- she put the amulet around her neck and slugged me across the face with her fist.  It was romantic.

The feast was fantastic- in short we burned through all the fine wine the mayor had stocked up, and there was rock music.  We had enough rock instruments to create a band and we did- a horrible, terrible, armok damned band.  The screeching of the metal against the harp, the terrible coordination on the part of the flute.  We didn’t have much selection.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 01:18:29 pm »

It's like when you get a whole bunch of ammo and supplies in Stalker. You just know that this is the calm before the storm. The poor, poor Duke.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWXZ1lj5JRs

Move like leaving a saferoom in l4d
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 02:49:52 am »

Wow. When you said "it's happy", I thought you mean it's happy for Armok.
It's happy for...Well, me, at the very least.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 12:36:38 pm »

Wow. When you said "it's happy", I thought you mean it's happy for Armok.
It's happy for...Well, me, at the very least.

Well they had to use all that ale SOMEHOW.

In other news I've actually begun to write out the background lore for TAOM series.  However, I need some serious help with the mountainhomes names.  So far I've come up with

Goldenhold
Ironforge
Kingsground
Battledragon
Oceanlord
Cavernrealm
Silverfall

Yeah.  Those aren't very cool.  Additionally I need names for some vassal states along with human, elven, and goblin ones.  So, throw cool city/civilization/group names at me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:46:00 pm by RabidAnubis »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 04:42:27 pm »

What sort of name are you looking for? The bizarre (Trumpethands)? The disturbing (Incestrapes)? The metal (Volcanowars)? Something else?

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 10:39:30 pm »

I'm looking for the normal almost, but if you can think of some cool names write them down.  I'll need more than 7 fortresses.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 01:33:06 pm »

Chapter 13: Halls of Death

It was dark, and it was eerie.  When there’s a necromancer outside, you pass up every coffin expecting a hand to shoot out and grab you.  My footsteps felt loud in the silence of the long hall, passing coffins. 

I didn’t know why I went down there.  Or what purpose there was to it.  I’m not even sure if there was one besides ceremony.  But as I passed each coffin a look at them, the engravings.  Some had the names of my friends.  But none of my family.  As nobility we get our own tombs.

But many I never knew nor had a desire to.  To me they were just peasants- the scum of the earth not worth bothering with.  They had simple coffins, stacked one on top of the other.  A small inscription in the front of each gave their name, profession, birth and death date.  As I go further down the death dates gradually start to not appear anymore, but the bodies are still in there.

The warrior tombs had a bit more flair.  The warrior tombs actually had small holes dug out just for them, allowing a few personal possessions to be stored for the afterlife.  In one of these coves I saw a toy forge collecting dust.  Inscribed:  B. 512 D. 524.  Goblin Ambush.

What cruel god could send a boy soldier to his death?

May he rest forever.

The tunnel seemed to never end as I walked down it further and further.  Four hundred years of history passed by as I walked, but I was in truth heading to the end.  The coffins started to turn to marble as the fortress dug deeper.  Then up came a left turn.

I took it into the noble’s room.  Here, the coffins were made of iron.  Every grave had it’s own separate crypt, with only their spouse buried with them.  As I come across doors unopened I read the plaques above them- marriages of alliances and the rise of Platinumgod.  Some of failings- like the mutilated body of the Red Duke of Platinumgod.

I guess I’ll write his story.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 08:31:01 pm »

Savagecrystal
Faircanyons
Earthholy
Copperbarb
Pantherlashed
Truthfulgolds
Heathercastle
Soulboulders
Canyonmerged
Waxirons
Anvilclans
Fissurebastion

Some names acquired straight from DF. Hopefully some of those will be useful.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 09:59:54 pm »

Interlude: Red Duke Of Platinumgod

Born 6 Granite 463, The Age of Myth

Dwarf women tend to be tough.  Dwarf noble women tend to be angry and needy.  This makes them undesirable, but there is really no way to turn your back on them.  After all, politics is important.  A few hundred years ago though, the heir to Platinumgod was forced to marry one of these women.  They had a true born son, heir to both Platinumgod and Steelridge.  As neighbors, the combined realm would have had the power to declare independence from Goldenhold.

But that is not what this story is about.  No one tells this legend because of how this caused the failure of a rising power.  They tell it because of how the assassination went:

He had just finished cheating on his wife.  He walked out of the room, his grey beard tucked into his belt.  A sword at his hip shined with the look of new steel.  His red vest covered his chest against the cold winters that came into the valley outside platinumgod.

And he looked to his right, screaming as he saw a dwarf with a knife and a buckler approach him, his face hidden by the cowl of his black cloak.  The assassin could have ended the Duke’s life then and there.  The duke began to draw out his sword with his right hand but suddenly stopped.

He had no more right hand.  The assassin had lopped his arm off with the knife in his hand.  Why he didn’t end the Duke there and then was a matter of tradition, still time honored to this day. 

You see, ending an enemy has to be an art- the louder he screams the more the gods hear of their creations.  A simple stab to the neck is considered dishonorable because of this- a killing should be gracious and slow, the sounds of yelling and pain acting as a harmony of the world.  Pushing them into lava is double the glory.

The blood began to spray out of his arm, staining the floor.  But he ran, faster than the assassin on his two light feet, faster than the wolf prowling at night.  Some say he ran faster than most gods on a good day.  Either way, once the sweat began to pound off his forehead he saw he was in a cavern.  Between losing his arm and reaching this point he only remembered screams.  And the laughs.

But for now, as he sat down, he only saw the cliff behind him, looming over the waters of the deeps.  Moss beneath his feet made it hard to move, and although there was little light he could see some of his blood leaving a trail.

Suddenly, he felt very weak, and very tired.  His skin was lighter than normal.  It was only a matter of time before- he heard footsteps.  Multiple footsteps beating against the cavern floor.  Suddenly instinct won him over.

He dodged a bloody knife to his throat, drew his sword with his left hand, and failed to block a supposedly killing blow with his clumsy counter attack.

But it wasn’t fatal- his intestines were just pouring out of his stomach.  The duke sheathed his sword.

But when did intestines ever stop a true master of the sword?  The duke pulled out the blade, throwing it to the ground.  Then he once again unsheathed his sword.  Another knife flew at him, he took a step back, the knife going right over his head as he went down over the edge of the cliff, into the water below.

He fell, screaming.  He lived however with his broken leg that hit the rocks at the bottom.  He tried to swim but didn’t know how, but slowly he managed to walk his way across the bottom, his boots entrenching themselves in the much.  Just before he was out of breath he steamrolled up a ramp, and lied dying beneath a fucking mushroom that would eventually be used as a fucking spice.

It took him three weeks to die.
Pages: 1 2 [3]