Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red Shift  (Read 739 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Red Shift
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:06:32 am »

Right, link first: http://messier8.com/Blog/

Now, some clarification, it's in alpha, made by one guy, looks nice so far.

Now for a better explanation, from his description it sounds quite a bit like Aurora, except it has graphics and is not mind bogglingly complex (I tried it once, fumbled around for half an hour before quitting in a fit of annoyance), you have your nation, you go out after others, planets are divided into sectors so you can have multiple nations on one world. There are man made structures like stations and stuff, battles seem to be in real time, done in a skirmish mode of sorts, ship customization is in, although not very complex right now.

So, discuss.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Red Shift
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:39:36 am »

Looks decent, though it reminds me more of EUIII (et al.) in space, rather than Aurora. For one, it's RTwP rather than TB. For another, not enough complexity rawr.

That said, it has potential, and I might be interested in a more complete version for the right price. Though I am a bit concerned that he'll end up falling into the trap of making things prettier rather than more complex. Have Earth and Mars look shiny is nice, but being able to read about exactly what happens in hard numbers when you bombard them with high-radiation warheads is better.

Another major factor for me would be how he handles tactical combat. Space is an Ocean works with Aurora because of the format and because of the source material; this has the potential to do proper 3D space combat. If it is anything like Homeworld combat, that'd be pretty much an instabuy for me.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:41:20 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 12:10:53 pm »

Looks incredibly smexy.

I hope it will be like Aurora regarding ship design though, as that is always a good thing.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 12:34:26 pm »

not realy a fan of the whole "ocean" ships in space but there realy isn't much to go off of in terms of combat spacecraft

as for the game itself, will be interesting to play it and learn what makes it tick but i'm getting kind of the impression that there wont be that much to learn about from the game itself...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:55:53 pm »

Im def keeping a look at this game!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?