Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need some help disposing of children.  (Read 2218 times)

LordTumbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need some help disposing of children.
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:59:26 am »

I was at 21 dwarfs with 4 children. 

Now I am at 50 with 21 children.

Mother of god help me D:  Best way to deal with this situation?  I'm thinking of only getting rid of children not 10 years or older.

is this cruel or undwarfy of me to want to expunge the worthless non-working force?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need some help disposing of children.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:53 am »

I'd do it one at a time - otherwise you're just asking for a tantrum spiral. But a fully armed Goblin pit would probably work.

LordTumbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:08:44 am »

this is actually really early in the forts develoupment. (mid-spring 2nd year)

so I have no gobbos yet.  But I do have magma...

But how do I get them to go to the particular spot I want them in?

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:34:06 am »

Give them a bedroom and lock them in when they go to sleep. Eventually, they'll starve to death( or dehydrate, that usually happens faster) or you can flood the rooms with magma. You'll lose the beds if you go the magma route.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:46:15 pm »

Give every child a 1x1 room to live in - and then lock them in.

They will become dehydrated and die. All of them at the same time ... but! because no one has seen the corpses; the parents and friends will be oblivious to the death. Then you can open the doors and have them be discovered as you please... or when their restless spirit shows up.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:43:15 pm »

Actually, after a week they'll have been missing for a week, and they'll be counted as dead. Then, you'll not only get death bad thoughts, but rotting bad thoughts, too. Those happen whether the body has been found or not, as far as I know. If you do it that way, make sure you have enough slabs ready to go and a stone detailer to engrave them as soon as the kids are reported as missing.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:13:32 pm »

A more productive answer would be to lower the child percentage of your pop cap, but otherwise, have you tried the dwarven shotgun? D=
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111303.0
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:48:02 pm »

A minecart that never stops... And a burrow full of children that happens to stand on the minecrart tracks....

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 12:38:51 am »

burrow on a bridge above magma, Pull The Lever™. They'll evaporate simultaneously and thus become "missing" (--> no tantrums). After they've baan missing for a week, engrave and build a slab to prevent them from turning into ghosts and freaking out the parents.

I think child disposal is the norm rather than the exception among bay12:ers... ???
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 01:08:58 am »

A more productive answer would be to lower the child percentage of your pop cap, but otherwise, have you tried the dwarven shotgun? D=
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111303.0

This.  Edit init.txt and change the baby_cap to numbers you are happy with.  The default values won't stop pregnancies until there are 10 kids for every adult or 100 kids, whichever comes first.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 08:24:55 am »

I think child disposal is the norm rather than the exception among bay12:ers...

Yah, it says something that when I replied, the thought of editing the raws didn't even occur - I went right to "How can we commit mass murder?"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 09:37:43 am »

editing init isn't raw editing. Raw editing would be making it so that dwarfs grow up to adults when they are 6. Or 2.

Ayway, that minecart idea sounds fun, though if you make it a bit slower you either get good doctors or the children become amazing dodgers, those that survive that is... do they actually get points in dodge from that? it would be a new version of daycare
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:04:22 am »

Hmm, if you loaded a minecart shotgun with harmless items like pigtail socks, you might be able to dodge train dwarven children...
But i think even socks are lethal at high velocity.
Off to the childcare thread a !!!science!!!ing i go.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Wyrmnax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 11:09:17 am »

I burrowed mine in the area of the magma anti-goblin trap for the test run.

Changing the child settings on the init only prevents pregnancies, not children flooding into your fort during migrations.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 01:00:46 pm »

Burrows allow you to atom-smash children quite efficiently. As a bonus, this seems to produce the missing status as well, and avoids the hassle with magma.
Pages: [1] 2