Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can pumps draw fluid from open hatches?  (Read 2365 times)

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can pumps draw fluid from open hatches?
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:33:56 am »

I'm about to build an array of water reactors to power my pump tower drawing magma from the depths, but I'll need a way to stop them as and when I like to spare my FPS. Will lever-operated hatches allow water through while open?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can pumps draw fluid from open hatches?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 05:34:43 am »

Yes they will.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:01:01 am »

Couldn't you just put a gearbox in the middle rather than an axle and disengage it?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:45:19 am »

If you use a lever-linked gear assembly to connect the water reactor to a room full of gear assemblies, you can make it stop because it can't provide enough power to turn everything.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:32:27 am »

If you use a lever-linked gear assembly to connect the water reactor to a room full of gear assemblies, you can make it stop because it can't provide enough power to turn everything.

That's not very effective though as you'd need to set aside a MASSIVE space to build enough gear assemblies to kill a reactor with a multi-KiloUrist output.  Putting hatches over the screwpump's intakes and closing them would kill the reactor outright quite quickly and easily with just two floodgates and four mechanisms (discounting the one needed for the killswitch lever, of course)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »

Or you could use that lever-linked gear assembly to connect the water reactor to whatever it is you're powering.

I've used bridges as off switches in cases where there are no gears between the reactor and the pump stack, but hatches would be so much neater when going through the list to connect levers to 'proper' bridges.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:27:45 pm »

The best way to control a water reactor is to use a hatch to block the intake. You can disengage the gears connecting the reactor to the things that need power, but unless the pump is stopped it will continue to power the water wheels, which will power the pump. To do that you'll need to block the intake, or drain the reactor. Blocking the intake is the best option.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:10:27 pm »

I normally just make sure there's a gear assembly between the water wheels that generate power and the pumps that move the water, so you can shut off the flow when necessary. The disadvantage of this design is that the reactor takes a short while to power down as the remaining water dissipates, and it needs to be restarted manually by dwarves working the pumps. Though I suppose you could build a separate "starter motor" with just enough power to run the pumps. Anyways, that design worked well enough for me.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 11:24:47 pm »

Right, thanks. New system is working pretty well except for one part of my magma pipe bursting for some reason and killing a dwarf, then 5 more trying to retrieve his belongings.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 10:31:10 am »

Hmm, I think I might have misread the OP a little. For some reason my brain jumped straight to the pump stack when considering the position of the hatch.

Perhaps the OP could look into sending water off the map edge (thus making it flow) and then blocking off the map edge (which should stop it flowing, but the game doesn't notice) and making all the water under the waterwheels 7/7 and unmoving (but still registering as having flow).

Depending on how deep the depths are you could build a one-wheel reactor at intervals up the pump stack and fill each one to the point where there's no moving water*. It's rather wasteful compared to an array as you need one extra pump for every eight levels, but the number of extra pumps required may be small enough to not matter.

*One-wheel reactors can be filled like this. Two-wheel reactors aren't so consistent.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 12:20:55 pm »

Right, thanks. New system is working pretty well except for one part of my magma pipe bursting for some reason and killing a dwarf, then 5 more trying to retrieve his belongings.

Dwarf Fortress - where "working pretty well" means "only six friendly casualties".  :)