Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: unobtainium is unobtainable  (Read 4036 times)

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
unobtainium is unobtainable
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:44:01 am »

New fort, havent played in while, so uped ores a chunk or two with slider thinggy to make starting a bit easier.

After a time, got a fit and ran reveal and prospect.
Magma is Waaay down, temple down and 3 temples! and no adamantine, 0, Zero. this buggs.

Anyone else get no funny cotton candy metal?
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: unobtainium is unobtainable
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:03:07 am »

Gimmie a second to remember how to spoiler spoilerite...
DF hack doesn't by default reveal
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Did you by any chance see empty boxes embedded into the bottom levels of the map?
That's where your
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:07:17 am »

don't you have to type "reveal hell" otherwise candy ore is hidden?
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:12:45 am »

yep, I havent played in while.
Now I can see perhaps 10 usable pieces of unobtainium rest is hot or wet rock or both, have to think how to drownd the magma and hope fps wont kill me, when draining caverns.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 02:20:25 am »

Sometimes, in very rare circumstances you get close to zero candy. My best was roundabout 300 candy, very best somewhere close to 20k.

Bad embark is bad embark, but the world is running fine too without any candy.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:46 pm »

Prospector will always tell you where the candy is.  Strange that you don't have any, are you running a small embark like 2x2 or something?  The way I understand the numbers, a 3x3 embark should always have at east 1 spire, and a 4x4 will have at least 4.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 02:47:19 pm »

i just learned (by building a staircase in one spire) that my 2x2-embark has in fact 3 ada spires oO
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:19:41 pm »

If you're (un)lucky you can hit an embark with no spoilerite. Spires are placed so there are some in every 4x4 location, but occasionally a 2x2 location will sit nicely between tiles and have 0 spoilerite.

At least, that's how it was explained to me that time I had no spoilerite and asked about it :p Was a shame too, volcano embark with thousands of bars of steel worth of materials at the surface.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »

It's at least one spire in every 2x2 section of the Local map (I assume starting at the corners). If your 2x2 embark is in two or more of these sections, it's possible for a particular section's spire to be in one of the two or three tiles your embark doesn't cover.

A 3x3 embark will always have at least one spire, because you can't not fully cover at least one of those 2x2 sections.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »

Wait you got three curious structures? Save plz.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 08:56:14 pm »

edit: sorry. nevermind
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:10:12 pm by nopil3os »
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 08:57:29 pm »

you mean adamantine spires?

Seriously, this is what happens when everybody uses euphemisms. Why can't things just be put under spoiler tags and/or put a spoiler heading on the title and be done with it?

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 09:02:17 pm »

edit: again, nevermind
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:10:36 pm by nopil3os »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 09:05:04 pm »

New fort, havent played in while, so uped ores a chunk or two with slider thinggy to make starting a bit easier.

Magma is Waaay down, temple down and 3 temples! and no adamantine, 0, Zero. this buggs.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 09:24:54 pm »

Yeah should have made this clearer in my last post. Technically when the full embark map gets generated, there are 17 points, 16 if which get assigned adamantine spires and 1 of which gets a temple. So if you got three temples, its likely you had three points where adamantine spires could have been placed, but the game decided to put three temples there. Also as far as I know it is possible to get a map with a temple but no spires.

The Bay 12 community would probably like to have the save, just so they can see what's going on there. Generally, only one temple should be placed in one region tile (that contains 16x16 embark tiles).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2