Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxy MMO successor ( Repopulation, Kickstarter, DONT MISS!! )  (Read 5421 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kickstarter,

I love that platform, i just found that little jewel for all SWG fans ( Pre-NGE fans ) Called Repopulation, basicly you end up on a planet pretty much like Earth and have to rebuild it from ground up with other players!. BEHOLD THE LINK!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/therepopulation/the-repopulation?ref=category

Just watch it if you ever liked SWG just a little. Its not in SW lore but offer nearly all what SWG offered. WADDA YA THINKY?

Alright for those who dont know what star war galaxy was, let put it bluntly, it was the BEST MMO mecanic wise, you had a huge open world, multiple planet, THE MOST DEEP crafting system, a very good skill system ( before the New Game Ehancement patch wich was basicly dumbing down everything to wow level ).

Im the worst guy when come time to explain stuff but if you like deep gameplay ( You like DF dont you? ) Ten do this game a favor and go look the kickstarter really. If you miss that your missing something big if you like gameplay and dept.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:00:01 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Star wars galaxy, your offspring shall take over
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 07:48:10 pm »

Man this looks amazing!

EDIT: jocan, may want to change the topic title and explain about the game better. Those who have never played SWG (I am one) may not know what you're talking about and miss out on this great project.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Star wars galaxy, your offspring shall take over
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 08:09:59 pm »

Man this looks amazing!

EDIT: jocan, may want to change the topic title and explain about the game better. Those who have never played SWG (I am one) may not know what you're talking about and miss out on this great project.

Im horrible when comes time to explain stuff... But ill try.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

SWG was the best MMO for sure, before the lame patch, but i did hate jedis in general, dumb.

theres also SWG  EMU which is moving along painfully slow (maybe its dead now?) and that has a thread buried deep on this forum somewhere. http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php
I got nothing

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile

SWG was the best MMO for sure, before the lame patch, but i did hate jedis in general, dumb.

theres also SWG  EMU which is moving along painfully slow (maybe its dead now?) and that has a thread buried deep on this forum somewhere. http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

Doesn't look too dead, if they're at the point of playtesting alpha.

Had a friend who was a major SWG lover before the combat patch, and he's got a huge boner for seeing this to completion. I wouldn't mind seeing what all the hype was about, because I have a distinct memory of looking through a encyclopedia sized players guide for the game, years ago.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

it was just very sandboxy. Beyond what you could do with your character, players could claim territory and construct towns. The towns were assembled of various building including player homes and shops. In the shops, you could place droids that would sell various stuff members of the village crafted or found, etc. There was a scripting language that players could use to make their droids, villages, and even their actual characters interactive while they were offline. This of course led on to some pretty strange automated dance parties full of emotes and special disco moves, a whole cantina full of bots dancing and emoting at each other fully automated while the players were offline. It was weird for sure, but the rest of it was pretty cool.

As I said before, the dumbest thing about the game was Jedis and also how it was incomplete. Such as the Droid Engineer class was pretty much nothing useful until later and that was after the "Dumbing Down" so it was never realized as it had been planned. I know because I played one for a while until i just dropped it.

The character skill and class system was my favorite. You gained experience in a skill by doing it, so if you wanted to be good at rifles, you shot rifles. If you wanted to be good at crafting, you crafted. You had a cap on how many skills you could have, so you could never do it all, but if you wanted to play a different class you simply stated doing those skills and eventually the other skills of your old class would drop off. Want to go from rifles to unarmed? Just start fighting unarmed and dont use your rifle as much.
I got nothing

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well from what the dev said its basicly the same skill wise exept he also state there was no skillcap, let's hope there is a soft-cap tho, there is no limit but the more skill you have the slower it increase, or else everybody will be self-suificient and intereaction will be kept minimum.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

Already pledged on this (why not just call the thread The Repopulation, you don't even mention the name of the game in the OP except in the link to Kickstarter) and was following it for a while before. Fond memories of my imperial town on Starsider and the experience of living and working together as a city are the best experience possible in MMOs.

SWGEmu is VERY alive still, it's a long process that's had several fundamental rewrites but they're at a point now where they're preparing for their last database wipe until Beta (barring major disasters) next week.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(why not just call the thread The Repopulation, you don't even mention the name of the game in the OP except in the link to Kickstarter)

Yeah. Right now it sounds like they're doing a kickstarter do repopulate SWG :P

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

Already pledged on this (why not just call the thread The Repopulation, you don't even mention the name of the game in the OP except in the link to Kickstarter) and was following it for a while before. Fond memories of my imperial town on Starsider and the experience of living and working together as a city are the best experience possible in MMOs.

SWGEmu is VERY alive still, it's a long process that's had several fundamental rewrites but they're at a point now where they're preparing for their last database wipe until Beta (barring major disasters) next week.

should we reactivate the SWGEmu thread we have? I have questions like, is building and bots in the game yet?
I got nothing

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

should we reactivate the SWGEmu thread we have? I have questions like, is building and bots in the game yet?

I'm pretty sure building is in, not sure if Droid Engineers are done yet. Sadly the community manager was hit by a van this spring and is still in a coma D: So they haven't been so great about posting updates on the blog.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hopefully they will actually give some balance this time.

While I hated the new upgrades, the balance was very poor between classes in SWG to begin with at times, especially near the middle..

Vainemoinen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game made me poke my head out of my lurker den.

I played SWG pre-CU and this game looks very much in the same spirit. I especially like the idea of weapons being aesthetic shells who's stats are determined by (player crafted!) augmentations; I find it annoying when I have to switch out a cool outift/weapon in a game for another one I like because the stats on the new one are a tiny bit better.

I also like the attention being played to non-combat skills. Too bad they don't seem to have any plans for a music skill in the game. Watching a bunch of aliens playing clarinet in unison was one of the iconic moments of my gaming life.

I'll keep an eye on this one.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only $5k left with 21 days to go. This project is going good.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

An MMO for 25k?

8/ So, no one else is skeptical at that suppose price tag?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: [1] 2