Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Necromancer !!Science!!  (Read 2842 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer !!Science!!
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:45:55 pm »

So I have two necromancers squatting within easy crossbow range, but I feel like it would be better to use them for some sort of corpse-generation training scheme. Anyone got a thread I can read up for the !!Science!! of it?
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer !!Science!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 06:05:54 pm »

Could try killing one and seeing if the other will resurrect him? and if so, can a necro'd necromancer necromance?  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:11:15 pm »

That is an idea- could you set up a necromancing loop where you would have a dead necromancer, have necromancer 2 raise him, then kill necromancer 2 for necromancer 1 to raise again?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 06:15:04 pm »

Ok so tell me if this will work:

A room divided in two with fortifications in the middle, and a raising bridge. The necromancer is hanging out in the first room. Make a small corpse stockpile and order the militia in. Lower the bridge and he will animate the corpse. Kill it, rinse and repeat.

Of course the trick is now to get him in there in the first place.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:36:18 pm »

Necromancers try to reach corpses on their on, so if you dump some outside(just an example) they will try to reach it.

That said:

You can trap them somewhere with a corpse bait.(Otherwise they might run after some time)
Prepare a training room.
Lead them there somehow. (Cages? Another bait? You can figure that out now)
Begin training.

Have fun prepping corpses for them to rise and fighting them off with your militia.
Just make sure that if any zombie is lucky and kill your militia(this is DF...it will happen) have a Lockdown system so you can buy some time.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 06:40:28 pm »

Ah yes, I got the necromancer problem solved by poking a pit trap hole right next to him. He walked in with a gobbo corpse and I sealed him up quick.

Just in time too, another gobbo siege just showed up :D

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 06:57:56 pm »

Necromancers can't turn Necromancer corpses into Necromancers.
 I've tried this many times over in object testing arena.
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 07:32:55 pm »

A room divided in two with fortifications in the middle, and a raising bridge. The necromancer is hanging out in the first room. Make a small corpse stockpile and order the militia in. Lower the bridge and he will animate the corpse. Kill it, rinse and repeat.

I have made this. Is a wonderful training system. There is nothing best to harden solidiers that make them kill their lovers corpses
over and over and over.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 08:06:36 pm »

Well then that's what I'm going to do!

Also I need to investigate mass pitting, I built a ton of cage traps to contain goblin bowmen and need to get rid of them and disassemble the cages.

Feeding them to the forgotten beast should be fun.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 08:53:08 pm »

As fun as it is to feed a beast prisoners, anyone can get a lucky hit and kill it. Feed it enough and it'll happen. I prefer a 20-40z drop onto upright spikes. Vamps and necros get sealed into a hollow cast obsidian cube. Of course, I don't see vamps hardly anymore since the 06 reduction, but it's still fun to imagine them sealed in a cube, solid rock on all sides. For eternity :D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 08:55:12 pm »

Well then that's what I'm going to do!

Also I need to investigate mass pitting, I built a ton of cage traps to contain goblin bowmen and need to get rid of them and disassemble the cages.

Feeding them to the forgotten beast should be fun.
Wiki has an excellent section on mass pitting. Don't forget to disarm the gobs first..
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 12:24:31 am »

Necromancers can resurrect other necromancer corpses, but they'll just be regular corpses. The syndrome gets lost when they become undead. Well, dead then undead.

Here's a fun thing to do, if you embark within range of two or more towers, you can capture two opposing necromancers, and create a perpetual zombie combat machine.

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 01:14:53 am »

Necromancers can resurrect other necromancer corpses, but they'll just be regular corpses. The syndrome gets lost when they become undead. Well, dead then undead.

Here's a fun thing to do, if you embark within range of two or more towers, you can capture two opposing necromancers, and create a perpetual zombie combat machine.
I said:Necromancers can't turn Necromancer corpses into Necromancers.
Not:Necromancers can't resurrect Necromancers into undead.
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 05:20:24 am »

I have made this. Is a wonderful training system. There is nothing best to harden solidiers that make them kill their lovers corpses
over and over and over.

Why their lovers? Children causes a tragedy thought of the exact same strenght, and are an otherwise useless and renewable resource.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 02:18:02 pm »

I said:Necromancers can't turn Necromancer corpses into Necromancers.
Not:Necromancers can't resurrect Necromancers into undead.
I was adding information to your point, not opposing it.
Pages: [1] 2