Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Kickstarter: CLANG  (Read 9516 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Kickstarter: CLANG
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:30:51 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

Sounds really cool TBH

At first, it'll be a PC arena game based on one-on-one dueling (which is a relatively simple and attainable goal; we don't want to mess this up by overreaching). Dueling, however, is only the tip of the sword blade. During the past few years, we have been developing a rich world, brimming with all manner of adventure tales waiting to be written--and to be played. In conjunction with 47 North, Amazon.com's new science fiction publishing house, we've already begun publishing some of those stories, and we have plenty more in the hopper. Once we get CLANG off the ground we intend to weave game and story content together in a way that'll enhance both the playing and the reading experience.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter: CLANG
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:55:20 pm »

That looks really interesting. I'm not really sure what that control method is they're using, though. Is that a PS Move? Or what?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:27:05 pm »

I like Neal Stephenson a LOT.  I don't know about the game-making expertise of Subutai, but capitalizing on Stephenson's cred is worth a lot for me.  We'll see if they release any more media or information about their plans.

That aside, what 3rd party device do you think they're talking about?  I haven't played around too much with any of this gen's consoles, so I don't really know the best candidate.  I mean, I don't know of any motion sensing equipment that isn't Wii, PS3, or Xbox360 related and I don't know about the sensitivity of said systems.

Does Nintendo still try to keep everything on their consoles G-rated?  Might exclude the wii, if they're not down for people getting impaled and chopped with a longsword.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 06:35:09 pm »

Does Nintendo still try to keep everything on their consoles G-rated?
Short answer: No.
Long answer: No, and I don't think they ever have.
Ultimate version: Madworld. No More Heroes. Turok. Shadowrun. Red Steel. Conker's Bad Fur Day. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. I could go on.

On topic...this looks interesting, though I question how well it will work. Even with a vibrating function built into the controller, it won't have the same impact of a real swordfight. Still, watching this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:52:07 pm »

Is that Gabe Newell hammering a crowbar?

E: Gabe, you so funny. "these things *hammers the crowbar* take time"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:01:29 pm by Ricky »
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 06:56:53 pm »

That aside, what 3rd party device do you think they're talking about?  I haven't played around too much with any of this gen's consoles, so I don't really know the best candidate.  I mean, I don't know of any motion sensing equipment that isn't Wii, PS3, or Xbox360 related and I don't know about the sensitivity of said systems.

The controller they use in the video seems to be this: http://nerdreactor.com/2011/01/10/ces-2011-razer-showcases-their-wiiplaystation-move-like-motion-controller-again/

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 07:48:50 pm »

So basically this is going to be Die by the sword 2?

Dis gon b gud.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 08:55:03 pm »

No, seriously, do wii need that controller?
I'll bet wii won't but I'll need to play it at my station when we move.
I'm sorry I had to.

In all seriousness, this game looks very awesome. Want.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »

So they think they will manage to make a profit selling a low-budget game that require a rather expensive 3rd party device to function. As much as I like Neal Stephenson and I like the idea of a realistic sword fighting game, I just can't shake the feeling that this is doomed for failure.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:14:39 pm »

Apart from having one of the weirdest and most awesome kickstarter videos I've seen, this looks pretty awesome. I only hope its not a Wii only thing or I'll be real sad. I want that thing on my PC.

EDIT: I think it is possible to profit from it. There's tons of people out there that have been waiting for something like this. It wont be the next AAA title, but I think it can stand on its own and hopefuly inspire other devs to pick it up.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:20:40 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 10:49:21 pm »

Ultimate version: Madworld. No More Heroes. Turok. Shadowrun. Red Steel. Conker's Bad Fur Day. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. I could go on.

On topic...this looks interesting, though I question how well it will work. Even with a vibrating function built into the controller, it won't have the same impact of a real swordfight. Still, watching this.

Before the N64 Nintendo were really restrictive about what was allowed on their consoles, and weren't shy about requiring games to be edited so they were family friendly.

Also it says what controller they're thinking of using on the kickstarter page. The "Razer Hydra controller." Whatever that is.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 10:56:03 pm »

Before the N64 Nintendo were really restrictive about what was allowed on their consoles, and weren't shy about requiring games to be edited so they were family friendly.

Also it says what controller they're thinking of using on the kickstarter page. The "Razer Hydra controller." Whatever that is.
Shadowrun was a Super Nintendo game. Despite not having blood, there were lots of guns and violence, with a bit of implied sexual content.

Anyway, a Razer Hydra is basically a Wiimote for PC. There was a promotion on Steam for it a while back, basically it allowed you to play Portal 2 with motion control.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 11:01:35 pm »

Shadowrun was one of the few if not the only exception of that kind on the snes. In japan the games were allowed to have more mature themes though, but those were almost never maketed out of japan because american and european distributors thought there would be a major backlash against them if anything above cartoony depictions of blood got out.
Later on the restrictions got bit softer, but early on there was a huge bias towards family friendly stuff on the US and Europe regarding games.

Anyway, I think the reason motion controls didn't get big is because not many big titles make use of it, or when they do, its only in a limited or near impractical way, like PS3 games using the sixaxis controls.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 11:27:33 pm »

Shadowrun was a Super Nintendo game. Despite not having blood, there were lots of guns and violence, with a bit of implied sexual content.

Anyway, a Razer Hydra is basically a Wiimote for PC. There was a promotion on Steam for it a while back, basically it allowed you to play Portal 2 with motion control.

Yes Shadowrun was on the Super Nintendo. That doesn't mean the well documented fact that Nintendo had an agenda to keep the western versions of their consoles G-rated didn't happen. It just means it wasn't 100 percent effective. Have a look at the super mature adult world of nintendo (It's a list of their old censorship policies)

Just googled that Razor thing. 100 quid ain't cheap for a controller for a single game. I do hope these guys succeed because they have a point about sword fighting being badly mishandled by the majority of games. I just don't know how many people are going to be willing to spend 100 + kickstarter donation for it. There's a compromise there somewhere between the two extremes of a plastic trigger and an expensive thing with limited uses, and it's called a mouse. It's not perfect, but it's honestly good enough. If they're absolutely dead set on super accurate recreation style gameplay then they have another problem... Without some serious force-feedback I can't imagine it being terribly satisfying trying to have a realistic swordfight. I know nearly nothing about swords, but I'm fairly certain the weight of it has a big impact on how you'd fight with it.

Could be good, and hopefully it will be, but it's got a lot of obstacles to overcome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 01:46:45 am »

I just decided to take a look at that video...

I... have no witty response. I just... want this... o_o
Pages: [1] 2 3 4