Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf bedroom sizes  (Read 1746 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf bedroom sizes
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »

How large do you make your bedrooms on average? I've been making em 3x3 so far, but I've been getting the feeling it may be a bit small.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf bedroom sizes
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »

One cabinet, one coffer, one bed!

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:00:00 pm »

Toady had told befor that 1x3 should be enough (bed, study, chest). You need bigger for nobles if I understodd correctly

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »

study? what's that?.. or rather where do you make it?.. same thing as cabinet?

btw, how do wep rack and armor stand work for an assigned bedroom? automatically stashes that dwarf's weapon/armor only?

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 02:26:00 pm »

I use 2x2 myself. Anything more would IMHO be too much for just a mere dwarf.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 02:26:00 pm »

Yep, sorry, cabinet. A mistranslation from english to french to english

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 02:43:00 pm »

Wow, I use 3x3 for my dwarves and they still get tantrums because of deaths and such. :P

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 03:20:00 pm »

I use 3x2 rooms, irregularly arranged into weird patterns   :roll:

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 04:13:00 pm »

Don't forget that when you need a specific dwarf to be happy, you can always detail their room.  Takes a while but seems to help a lot.

Is there a way to zoom to a dwarf's room from that dwarf's 'v' menu?  That might be useful...

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »

There isn't right now.  It could have to be wedged in there somewhere.  I guess there are only v+g,v+p,v+l,v+w...  are more letters safe?  Adding a zoom from the [vpz] list of associated rooms might be very sensible, if that's what you mean.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 06:09:00 pm »

That sounds good.  Plus there are many other ways to get to that screen (you can reach it directly from your main creatures list, for instance), so having it there will let players find individual dwarves' rooms easily through several interfaces.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 06:16:00 pm »

If you encounter ore in the bedroom area, leave the ore there; it'll improve the room rating significantly, and thus produce a happer creature.   ;)

[Edit: As for my dwarven bedrooms, i use 2x2 rooms attached to a hallway, attached to a meeting room, attached to the rest of the fort. Pretty much like an apartment building, where the meeting room is something like the lobby. The only problem there is with this is travel time, but it can be easilly fixed by sacrificing a room or two for a connecting corridor between hallways.]

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »

And the bonus is doubled if your dwarf likes the metal.  It's good quick way to please lower-level nobles, though making masterpiece statues from the ore takes the bonus further.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 07:10:00 pm »

Yeesh, I'm freaking generous compared to most of you people.  The smallest room I allow is 3x3, consisting of a bed, table, chair, and cabinet.  (No chests or coffers -- I haven't gotten to the economy yet!  For some reason I always abandon the fortress and start a new game towards the end of the third year.)  My important labourers (e.g., my Carpenter, my Metalsmith) get 3x4 rooms.  I tend to set aside 4x8 rooms for my nobles.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 09:08:00 pm »

I make rooms of sizes 2x1, 3x1, 3x2 then the common 3x3, and for my nobles 3x5, giving rooms for all of the economy rainbow. Poor unemployed losers get the 2x1, my non-noble legendaries get really wicked 3x3 rooms, and the normal kinda skilled and employed dwarf usually get a 3x2.

Question, if I make a 5x5 room, and put a bed, chair, table, cabinet, chest/coffer, weapon rack and an armor stand in it, can I mark the entire room 3 times for bedroom, study and dining room, giving my noble only 1 room instead of 3?

Pages: [1] 2