Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92242 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2012, 09:31:38 am »

Man, all this almost makes me want to make my own city builder game, just to watch everybody screaming for blood.
Don't you dare make an isometric viewer application... just don't do it you!
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2012, 09:43:25 am »

Why do these colony style games get players so touchy?

I think it's because these games make you think you are smarter than you actually are. It's the only excuse I can think of for this sub-human behavior.

Back on topic: This is now my favorite non-df game. I have 60+ hours in it and haven't experienced a bug in the last 2 versions. I still wrestle with the occasional design element that is different than what I would expect, but that's probably just due to my expectations being out of line with the reality of the project.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:45:21 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2012, 12:30:45 pm »

Why do these colony style games get players so touchy?

I think it's because these games make you think you are smarter than you actually are. It's the only excuse I can think of for this sub-human behavior.
QFT.

Do your gnomes in Gnomoria have any sort of personality or skills yet or are they just drones like in "Towns"?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:39 pm »

They have names and kills and attributes, but currently only combat stats matter.  That will be changed later, right now development is on things like auto-butcher and merchants and other basic mechanics.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 21, 2012, 06:22:55 pm »

Nah every skiill matters, you can clearly see miners with low skill falling behind while higher skilled one mine rock like it's hot butter.
Robob0b is changing things so that the difference will be even more apparent.

That is, they have professions, not everyone is doing everything like in Towns.

They don't have personalities yet, as in likes and dislikes. I think it's going to be the next development focus, after the current one which is management.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 21, 2012, 06:26:01 pm »

Where is this game going, in what direction?I know that towns are going in more majesty direction with dungeons, quests and heroes. Is this going more in DF direction?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 21, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »

Nah every skiill matters, you can clearly see miners with low skill falling behind while higher skilled one mine rock like it's hot butter.
Robob0b is changing things so that the difference will be even more apparent.
Yeah, but that's just speed.  Drop rate and production rates on crafting are fairly the same.  As I said, this is due for being changed so that quality and skills matter more in the future.

As for direction, the game is likely more "DF but different."  It'll be the same colony-builder archtype, but overall seems to be a smaller, slower scale.  No 200 dwarf forts, but rather 20's and 30's.  Underground seems to be a big deal as well, with enemies spawning in unlit tiles underground and generally harassing gnomes, it'll probably evolve to the point of full underground NPC villages, and there's been talk about having goblin sieges set up camp outside, like with tents and campfires and everything.  so I guess if you're gonna make a compare against DF, the biggest thing is "it'll have more importance with things happening on-map."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 22, 2012, 09:40:28 am »

It will also not have the adventure mode stuff.  Basically, focusing on the fortress itself and all the events that could occur.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 22, 2012, 12:05:43 pm »

Which in itself means less 'large world' since you don't have to make it RPG-interesting and only need it to be RTS-interesting.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 23, 2012, 02:13:34 am »

Comparing it to df is sooo last year.

This is basically minecraft multiplayer if the player were bot, or if you want a complete ripoff of the millionaire/minecolony mods

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #325 on: December 04, 2012, 11:23:56 am »

Quick question for those who play: One of my viewers just made a comment than in my latest video some of the military Gnomes drifted away from the training grounds while sparring and into the Alpaca pasture. Does anyone know if the sparring Gnomes occasionally injure people or animals that get caught in the middle of their sparring?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:38 am »

I believe combat is clean.  It's only ever between the two combatants.  I don't know about ranged combat, it may be possible to get caught in the crossfire.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 04, 2012, 11:31:22 am »

If you look at the logs it seems group combat is here

It happened to me that a gnome went off the training arra wothout the training job flag bring cleared but so fr they are harmless

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #328 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:06 am »

Phew, thanks for the help :) I was worried I'd have to move my temp training grounds (just got everything set up outside in the farm area while I prepare my fort to be moved inside properly)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 04, 2012, 11:51:25 am »

Group combat exists, but only in participants.  If a yak doesn't engage combat with sparring gnomes, then you can have yaks all over the place and none of them should be in danger.

If you want to test this, then place a 5x5 meeting hall, build a training ground atop it, and see if they start dying.  It should let you build a workshop atop a meeting hall the same way it lets you build furniture.  I think.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27