Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92244 times)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:46 am »

So, I decided to give this game a second go.

Here's my opinion, which is totally subjective and maybe incomplete and/or imprecise:

1. What is this game?
It's like DF with Stonesense, but with less diversity and a working UI. Sometimes I really wondered if I was playing DF or another game.

2. What are the main differences between Gnomoria and DF?
The 'Military' options are diverse and really useful (and working!). You have to search for/discover the engineering items (axles, crossbows, etc...) before using them. Migration of new gnomes is linked to the greatness of the main hall. Invasions seem to be better managed than in DF, with no big army in no times, and you have to light your "fortress" in order to see what's going on where your gnomes are not. And, last but not least, the UI is awesome and working. I think it's really a success. I found it far less confusing than, for example, the one in Towns, and it includes some awesome options like replacing walls and floors with other chosen types.

3. So, it's DF with a working UI?
Uh, yes, more or less, for now.

4. But is it actually enjoyable and worth its cost?
Yes it is! I don't regret buying it, and I will still donate to Toady.

5. Bugs?
I don't remember encountering bugs.

6. Other things?
Yes, guns (already in) and automatons (coming soon). It also seems like more original content will be implemented in the following months, as the "DF-like" base of this game is working great.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 23, 2012, 04:13:43 am »

5. Bugs?

Just wait till half your gnomes decides to get stuck on one tile, until they starve.

Other than that, I think your post is a very accurate description of the game.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #302 on: October 23, 2012, 06:52:27 am »

5. Bugs?

Just wait till half your gnomes decides to get stuck on one tile, until they starve.

Other than that, I think your post is a very accurate description of the game.

3 years of game so far and I encountered that bug only once, which was easily solved. Stairs have two portions, one in the block and one in the floor above, sometimes the game deletes one but not the other and the pathfinding goes FUBAR.

Also yes, the military screen on this game kicks DF's military manager's ass at any time.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 23, 2012, 07:44:43 am »

...and the job setting interface.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 24, 2012, 08:39:00 am »

Just a bump.  The path released yesterday included new enemies.  Previously, there were goblins, golems, and the mythical spiders which only spawned on super-low levels.  Now there are wildlife critters that avoid contact until chased around some, Bears, Monitor Lizards, and Honey Badgers, as well as a new invader type, the Mant which harasses gnomes during the day while Goblins come at night, and the Beetle that spawns similar to golems.

Monitor Lizards, Bears, and Honey Badgers can be hunted, spawn on the map's edge, and provide meat, bone, and hide.  A current bug makes Honey Badgers produce 30 meat.  Bears are lethal, Honey Badgers a little less so (they're not Giant variant yet), and I haven't faced off against a Monitor Lizard.

Beetles spawn underground, even as shallow as -6, and if left alone will place Cocoons, which will eventually hatch into a new Beetle.  They are very heavily armored and very dangerous, but only spawn in the dark.  Despite their nesting instincts, they wander quite quickly and will leave their cave.

Mants are killer.  Just brutal, they will rip into a gnome base incredibly fiercely and utterly destroy it.  They are to be avoided at all costs, even full iron and steel armor doesn't help a great deal.  I suspect firearms would work well, however.

Goblins also arrive with Ogres sometimes as well.  They're bigger and beefier, but don't wear armor.

Goblins and Trolls can be butchered for meat, bone, and hide, although the player must manually order the corpse to be butchered.  Troll Hide is the toughest form of leather available, although it's not as good as metal it is much lighter, perhaps suited to wall patrol and musketeers.

All factions are hostile towards each other.  Goblins+Ogres, Wildlife, Golems, Mants, Spiders, and Beetles will all naturally attack each other.  It may be entirely possible to defend yourself by letting the goblins and mants kill each other!

ebarstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 24, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »

What triggers the invasions? I downloaded the new version and played for a while last night, but I haven't seen any beasties while playing on Normal.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 24, 2012, 01:49:43 pm »

Summer Day 1 mostly.  First Spring is still safe.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 25, 2012, 08:38:03 pm »

Just posting to say if you thought the game was missing some *FUN*, this is the time to play it.
If you are starting a new fort, chances are the beetles and mants are gonna stomp all over your face, come the 1st of Summer.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 25, 2012, 09:49:03 pm »

I really only ever want to make above ground forts in this, and now I'm extremely paranoid since that takes time and makes me vulnerable in the early days... and Mants sound grade A fun, and burst that entire idea into a possible corpse carnival lol.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2012, 10:07:58 pm »

Underground is more dangerous, that's where the beetles are.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:24 pm »

update released today adds skeletons and zombies

also added more time before mants and beetles start showing up

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2012, 10:42:41 pm »

Also makes beetles spawn deeper, and makes goblins appear in larger number with lower skill.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »

Anybody here a lawyer?

I think you may want to offer Toady some advice if you know copyright law. It looks ripe.
火族

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 19, 2012, 10:45:50 pm »

I cannot express my level of LOL right now.  Gnomoria is to DF as Die Hard is to Terminator.  There's only so many ways you can produce an action shooter flick with massive explosions.  You cannot say one is in copyright infringement on the other.  And even if you could say it, there's other games doing the same thing.  Come to think of it, some ass clown always tries to pull the legal card on all those games too.  Why does no one ever complain that the next released FPS game has stolen from the last one, even if they're virtually identical?  Why do these colony style games get players so touchy?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 19, 2012, 11:19:33 pm »

Man, all this almost makes me want to make my own city builder game, just to watch everybody screaming for blood.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27