Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92251 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #285 on: October 19, 2012, 05:29:18 pm »

I saw Gnomoria a while ago, it's pretty clearly heavily influences from DF, like the guy said.
As long as it goes in its own direction, I'm cool with it. If it continues to sit in the wake of the Bay12 vessel nibbling at the strands of seaweed that get dislodged, then we have a problem.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 19, 2012, 05:31:28 pm »

Not everyone can live up with only donation and thats his right, he is using a genre, and last i know of genre cannot be copyrighted and bashing the game/author is acting like fanboys are we REALLY fanboys? Its not like he made a direct attack to DF or stole a copy of the source and sold it or nothing like that, he used a genre, like RTS FPS DF just dont stick to any predefined genre, maybe some GOD genre?

Heck everytime a game break the mold and then another game pop-out using the same genre the second get BASHED for exploring the genre altogether with the other, ok it might make competition between the 2 game but HECK without competition a genre can die pretty quick. With competion come innovation.

Minecraft came first, then lets take an easy example terraria, minecraft bashed terraria real hard just because it had the same spirit, sandbox-ressourcegathering-survivalish-buildyourhouse type of gameplay.

Now let be civilized say that you are angry, that you dont like the fact he is using the same genre right, but for god sake dont bash the game or the author mindlessly like a *insert your favorite insult here*

Calm down dude. Nobody is angry but maybe you are. I don't know who you are referring to but I didn't notice anyone acting like a fanboy in this thread. Both sides (ank, especially) are making good points and fanboys don't make points. Also, nobody here talked about the author of Gnomoria.

If you would like a simple DF with graphics and "better" interface, then Gnomoria is a good thing.
If you don't like that idea, it's a bad or meh thing.

I am glad that so many new games are looking to DF for inspiration, but some designers actually build their game from the ground up, like Towns. While on the surface also being similar to DF, Towns does everything in it's own (sometimes idiot) way.

That doesn't look like fanboysim to me. As a neutral I still don't agree with him but I have to confess that Ank made some good points in this thread and he never insulted anybody. And you have to be careful when you call someone a "fanboy" because that can make you look like a fanboy yourself.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 19, 2012, 05:37:44 pm »

You are right i may sound angry but i am totally not, and about looking like a fanboy, re-reading what i wrote indeed make me look like one and i want to apologize, maybe its pure badluck but ive hoped a few page and each time i aws hitting something either insulting or borderline insulting either toward the game or the autor, page 1

Copy of a wannabe, maybe its just my frenchiness speaking but wannabe is most of the time used as an insult in french, if it wasnt meant as insult then sorry for taking that post in my pool.

Again i meant no harm in my previous post and will be more carefull in the futur.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 19, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »

It's okay buddy, don't feel bad. We are just writing, not speaking. Stuff like that can happen on the internet :)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 19, 2012, 08:55:12 pm »

Most people in this thread have been reasonable with the exception of Mictlantecuhtli who has been writing inflammatory statements such as:

"And how will you feel when the developer takes the money and runs with what he's suckered you out of already? Poor steam greenlight too, supporting endeavors like this will only ruin their future credibility. Moneygrabs are not how we should be expanding the genre, sorry. Same way PES is an awful junk soccer game; Gnomoria is a junk 'strategy'/management game.

If you can tell me with a straight face that most everything in Gnomoria isn't directly ripped from DF's take on the genre, you're blind. The rabid defence of this moneygrab on Toady's forum is what I find most ridiculous. This man is charging people for an unfinished and unplayable alpha that he's worked on for very little time, while Toady has worked off of donations for years. Seems a bit insulting to defend one person trying their damnedest to siphon money from someone else's ideas."
Only a simple mind can be certain.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 19, 2012, 09:00:33 pm »

Must have been my french sense misunderstanding some points then.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 19, 2012, 10:22:30 pm »

I have to agree with hemmingjay. I honestly don't know if Mictlantecuhtli is flame baiting on purpose, but he's doing a masterful job of it anyway.

It pretty much just boils down to the fact that the man (assuming, lol) has built the game from the ground up and has put work into the game and I don't think it makes any sense to put him down for selling it, DF-likes will be similar to DF (surprise surprise) and just making a game LIKE something else doesn't magically produce the code and artwork it just provides direction.

This happens with everything, once a game reaches a certain level of attention people are going to attempt and recreate that, albeit for a variety of reasons but overall it just means Dwarf Fortress has finally grown enough to produce offspring and it's legacy into future generations secured.

Also, why don't we just wait and see? The game's in alpha, meaning the creation of core content and ironing out critical bugs, It's not going to show it's true unique colors until beta. Just look at Minecraft, was it strikingly a lot like Infiniminer? Hell yes, but now in the present it's a very different animal.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #292 on: October 19, 2012, 10:24:56 pm »

Most people in this thread have been reasonable with the exception of Mictlantecuhtli who has been writing inflammatory statements such as:

"And how will you feel when the developer takes the money and runs with what he's suckered you out of already? Poor steam greenlight too, supporting endeavors like this will only ruin their future credibility. Moneygrabs are not how we should be expanding the genre, sorry. Same way PES is an awful junk soccer game; Gnomoria is a junk 'strategy'/management game.

If you can tell me with a straight face that most everything in Gnomoria isn't directly ripped from DF's take on the genre, you're blind. The rabid defence of this moneygrab on Toady's forum is what I find most ridiculous. This man is charging people for an unfinished and unplayable alpha that he's worked on for very little time, while Toady has worked off of donations for years. Seems a bit insulting to defend one person trying their damnedest to siphon money from someone else's ideas."

Thats a good point Jay, it seems like what we are seeing here is kinda a back-lash effect of all the bashing that used to happen on this forum. Now folks are going so far as to give any old ripoff their blessing. Kinda funny, it is. Sorta like anit-fanboy-ism.

But thats capitalism for ya, theres no law to stop him from doing it, whether it's unethical or not. This should be a clear message to Toady in my opinion, if he cares about making money from DF at all, which he may not. From my viewpoint, Toady has ignored the requests of this community for a decent UI and some other features. He wants to do it his way, despite what many people have expressed they want. Totally his right to do that by the way.

So the Gnomoria guy is getting the money.

I'm not saying he deserves it, but I'm not sure sure Toady does either. Toady's not adding many features I care about any more, and hes certainly not adding them at any sort of speed that would constitute a full time job.

In our culture of supply and demand, folks will pay for something if they think it's worth it. Whats my point? I think I made it in here somewhere...maybe.
I got nothing

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 20, 2012, 08:18:51 am »

Yeah, Gnomoria is ripping from DF. Whatever. I don't see that as a really bad thing. If anything, existence of Gnomoria will make people more interested in DF.

Gnomoria doesn't have the complexity of DF and DF doesn't have the graphics and UI of Gnomoria. If you are a complete stranger to DF and Gnomoria and want to play a DF-like, you get two choices to choose from.

BTW, I have never played Gnomoria so I'm just making assumptions based on what I have seen from the people talking about Gnomoria.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 20, 2012, 08:38:19 am »

I dont really see a problem as long as it's his code.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 20, 2012, 10:41:22 am »

i've always been defensive of most so called df ripoffs; goblin camp, survivors of ragnarok, even dwavesh, and i bought gnomoria in good faith, but i feel it is really too similar to df, and it is the first df-like that i feel deserves the description of ripoff, what it didn't rip off of df, it ripped it from various fan created utilities, or was fairly obvious things like mouse support, etc. i think it still has a chance to set itself apart from df and shine by it's own merits, but it hasn't done so yet, and the fact that it's already for sale irks me a bit.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 20, 2012, 10:42:46 am »

Yeah, Gnomoria is ripping from DF. Whatever. I don't see that as a really bad thing. If anything, existence of Gnomoria will make people more interested in DF.

Gnomoria doesn't have the complexity of DF and DF doesn't have the graphics and UI of Gnomoria. If you are a complete stranger to DF and Gnomoria and want to play a DF-like, you get two choices to choose from.

BTW, I have never played Gnomoria so I'm just making assumptions based on what I have seen from the people talking about Gnomoria.

Exactly!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2012, 12:03:03 pm »

i've always been defensive of most so called df ripoffs; goblin camp, survivors of ragnarok, even dwavesh, and i bought gnomoria in good faith, but i feel it is really too similar to df, and it is the first df-like that i feel deserves the description of ripoff, what it didn't rip off of df, it ripped it from various fan created utilities, or was fairly obvious things like mouse support, etc. i think it still has a chance to set itself apart from df and shine by it's own merits, but it hasn't done so yet, and the fact that it's already for sale irks me a bit.

I think it's value is that is does compile features from DF, as well as the various utilities and suggestions others have made. I also would like to point out that Gnomoria has a mechanic where if you don't light up your mined areas with torches Golems come out of the rock and murder you.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2012, 01:08:43 pm »

why doesn't town/goblin camp gets the trolling?

towns even has the catchy guitar tune!

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »

why doesn't town/goblin camp gets the trolling?

towns even has the catchy guitar tune!

Coz they are way more original!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27