Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92283 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2012, 09:18:41 am »

i believe "x" and "q" are down and up 1 z level
Only a simple mind can be certain.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2012, 09:20:22 am »

I am currently at day 6 of Spring and for the first time I have enough food AND a proper metal industry, albeit copper. Even at it's higher speed it's painfully slow with the original 9 gnomes. Looking forward to migrants and merchants!
You have a metal industry at day 6?  :o
That's amazingly fast, unless you mean Summer or something.

It's day 6 Spring. I got lucky as the first layer of stone I hit(sandstone) also had coal and copper. It was very cool, although with such a low population, there isn't much to do with it at this point.

My first 3 actions are clear an area of trees.
Plant a farm for each of the two starting crops(food runs out at day 4-6 unless careful).
Dig down until I hit stone. You can't build anything really without stone blocks.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:50:17 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Breadwinnner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2012, 10:19:11 am »

I for one welcome a more user-friendly Dwarf Fortress style game. Towns still has a way to go to fill that criteria, it seems this game has far more potential to conform to my hopes of such a game being created.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2012, 11:18:59 am »

Once you start using the arrow keys to navigate the right-click menu it becomes very user-friendly.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2012, 11:32:33 am »

Any info on modding support in the future? :)
Genesis mod 2: Dwarves strike back.

LET'S KILL SOME GNOMES!
If it gets anything even a bit similar to DF modding (I mean ability to mod/add/remove creatures, races, items, workshops and reactions), I am going to buy it and release a ton of mods for it, and of course graphical tilesets :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2012, 11:38:14 am »

I for one welcome a more user-friendly Dwarf Fortress style game. Towns still has a way to go to fill that criteria, it seems this game has far more potential to conform to my hopes of such a game being created.
from what I've read, it's not more user friendly.
To each their own etc, but imo it's at least 10 times more user friendly.

Yes, navigating the menu requires a lot of clicks, and some people have trouble with the selection wireframe. (I don't, but anyway the dev will try some stuff to remedy it)
But saying it's less user-friendly than DF...that's madness.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2012, 12:00:32 pm »

How exactly do you mine out higher levels of elevation? I ended up with a floating island of dirt.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2012, 12:02:36 pm »

So, nobody here played Aurora I guess. After that, DF is a total cakewalk.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2012, 12:09:32 pm »

The "Remove Floor" command will shave off the upper layer and prevent gnomes walking there.
The "Mine -> Wall" command will remove the wall but not the floor above nor the floor below.
The "Dig -> Hole" will remove the floor it's placed on and the wall underneath.  It works like DF channeling except no ramps.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »

How exactly do you mine out higher levels of elevation? I ended up with a floating island of dirt.
The best way I can tell is to dig holes from the upper level down.  When there are a few plots left, mine up ramps.  If you get any miners stuck, you may have to build a temp ramp.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »

The best way I can tell is to dig holes from the upper level down.  When there are a few plots left, mine up ramps.  If you get any miners stuck, you may have to build a temp ramp.
Correct. As you said the order gnomes dig down in not very smart so you might end up with stuck gnome miners.
But a weird, awesome workaround was posted: Instead of digging holes, you dig ramps. That way they can always go up or down, then you remove the ramps and the whole levels is gone, floor and wall, hassle-free.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2012, 12:22:01 pm »

Correct. As you said the order gnomes dig down in not very smart so you might end up with stuck gnome miners.
But a weird, awesome workaround was posted: Instead of digging holes, you dig ramps. That way they can always go up or down, then you remove the ramps and the whole levels is gone, floor and wall, hassle-free.
The problem with ramps is that you have to designate them one at a time.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2012, 12:37:53 pm »

So, nobody here played Aurora I guess. After that, DF is a total cakewalk.
Aurora doesn't work well on anything its chosen resolution(s) aren't, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RoboB0b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2012, 12:44:45 pm »

The problem with ramps is that you have to designate them one at a time.

You're right!  I just changed it right now.  It will be an area select action in the next update.

Breadwinnner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2012, 01:04:05 pm »

I hope there'll be some sort of craft which would allow your gnomes to create/tame automated guards such as wolves or automated drones to patrol your base.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27