Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92234 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:44 pm »

This game's success relies on it getting it's pre-orders in before Game of Dwarves starts selling. It's a fun little game and a no-brainer for me, I like DF, Towns and will be buying GoD.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 07:50:55 pm »

Here's a youtube video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E75mL6R42i0

Also, he claims to be inspired by Dwarf Fortress. He's not trying to hide it. I think I will have to give it a try.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 09:24:43 am »

Ok, so what exactly does Gnomoria make unique? Except the graphics nearly everything seems to be ripped off...  :-\ This game is just lacking charm and soul... Btw: the music is awful. :U

Not trying to be rude or anything but I dont know... This just steals so many ideas from DF and charges money for it. And the gnome theme... So slapped on! They look like Dwarfs, behave like Dwarfs etc... Meh, I dont like it!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:54 am »

it doesn't add anything other than animated graphics and a mouse driven UI. It sacrifices a lot of DF's complexity due to system limitations, coding experience and development time. He's charging for a more accessible but dumbed down version of DF.
I don't think DF lovers are the target demographic, but rather the enormous masses of the public who have found the UI of DF to be impenetrable. Once into the concept a bit, perhaps the transition to Df tilesets will be easier for them.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 12:10:49 pm »

About the title; I do get the whole Gnomoria/Gomhoria/Gnome-Moria thing, and always like a good pun... but I do see where you're coming from. It sounds kinda like it could be communicable.

Anyway, I know Tarn sometimes seems to be doing DF more for the art and sake of making the deepest simulation he can, but... at times this sort of thing feels really unfair to him. Still, at the end of the day, Gnomoria is just another small-scale Indie Game in a sea of games, made by another developer hoping to make it... and we can always hope that publicity of an accessible DF-like game will help people discover it, and Tarn too.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:30 pm »

Once into the concept a bit, perhaps the transition to Df tilesets will be easier for them.

The main thing is the interface in Dwarf Fortress, which is, and seems to forever be crap.

I use tilesets myself because I like seeing my work being communicated through better graphics, but the main issue I have is the horrid interface, once that's fixed people will flock far more to dwarf fortress than a standard tileset.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 12:15:23 pm »

if Toady just put this UI on his game, he would make so much more money and DF would be much more popular. And I would play it more than I do now.

*prepares to duck rotten eggs and tomatoes being thrown at him*
I got nothing

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 12:17:36 pm »

I don't think that opinion is so much an unpopular anymore, but remember that it's kinda like building the exterior paneling of the car before you design and build the engine and systems. The surface means little without the substance beneath... and as the internal workings change, you probably have to change or even completely rebuild the exterior to accommodate. For a 1-man development team, this is a significant chunk of time being saved... and at this point ASCII has become more a design choice and a statement about game design than anything else.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:19:07 pm by Solifuge »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 12:28:52 pm »

I don't think that opinion is so much an unpopular anymore, but remember that it's kinda like building the exterior paneling of the car before you design and build the engine and systems. The surface means little without the substance beneath... and as the internal workings change, you probably have to change or even completely rebuild the exterior to accommodate. For a 1-man development team, this is a significant chunk of time being saved... and at this point ASCII has become more a design choice and a statement about game design than anything else.

agree and disagree. most of that is excuses at this point, its not impossible to have a graphic interface and still change the mechanics of the game as it grows. In fact, someone please explain how displaying ascii characters is any less restrictive that displaying graphics as far as game mechanics go?

For example, our latest update, how would a graphical engine restricted the adding of vampires and werewolves, etc? You need to display something either way, be it a ascii character or a graphic, whats the rel difference? The community is verygood at coming up with graphics as we already know.

Anyway, I think all these games such as goblin camp, towns, this one and the many others are more of a statement about Toady's poor UI and refusal to listen to his audience who has requested a graphical UI and even gone to AMAZING legths to represent their world in graphics such as Stonesense. These developers are saying, well if He wont do it, I will because obviously people want it. In a sense, Toady not delivering what many people ask for is kinda like a big middle finger, seeing as how he does also take money for his game.

*this time he really prepares for rotten fruits and vegetables to be slung at him*
I got nothing

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 12:53:15 pm »

On the other side, a horrid UI keeps the stupid people away.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 12:54:11 pm »

Honestly, seeing as how you can have a fort with 200 migrants and countless other creatures all running around(which can still cripple FPS), adding proper graphics would be an obscenely intensive resource hog, which would prevent many people from ever being able to run it.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 01:11:23 pm »

Honestly, seeing as how you can have a fort with 200 migrants and countless other creatures all running around(which can still cripple FPS), adding proper graphics would be an obscenely intensive resource hog, which would prevent many people from ever being able to run it.
Actually, that's wrong. Graphics are drawn by a GPU and in any case 2D isn't that demanding, especially with Stonesense level of detail.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2012, 02:04:19 pm »

Actually, that's wrong. Graphics are drawn by a GPU and in any case 2D isn't that demanding, especially with Stonesense level of detail.
Also the fact that you can run stonesense along with DF on a modern computer disproves the point.  A proper interface is run in a separate thread.  We are well beyond the time when the interfaces relies on the program logic and would not repaint if a long running process was triggered.

But this isn't the thread for that.  On topic:

The developer seems pretty cool from the limited interaction I had with him.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2012, 03:28:05 pm »

Taken from his site.

What games have inspired and influenced the development of Gnomoria?

I play all the games I can get my hands on and have time for. To some degree, they have all had an influence on me. For Gnomoria, the biggest influence has of course been Dwarf Fortress. There are also influences from Dungeon Keeper, the Settlers series, the Anno series, The Sims and even The Incredible Machine.

I wouldn't call it a blatant ripoff. It's about as much of a rip off as the original call of duty was to medal of honor. I'd like to see what he can do with this, but it's not enough for me to drop any money on just yet. Now in the future, it may be different.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2012, 03:55:25 pm »

He says his name is Robobob in the video above. That name seems strangely familiar.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27