Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92311 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2012, 10:20:28 am »

Looks pretty cool, not only a fun new game but a way to get other people into the genre without starting with something quite so extreme as DF.

It does sadden me that anytime anything comes out remotely similar to DF people start screaming "Clone!" but at least it appears to be a little better in this thread (ironically since this game actually does look similar, not like Minecraft or Dwarfs! in the past).

I am downloading the demo to give it a shot, frankly we wouldn't have the truly great games of today if nobody ever took inspiration form previous games. 

If there is a contest I'd love to try to earn a free copy (Cause hey, free is free, and us medics don't get paid as much as we should) but if not I'll probably buy it anyways if it seems worth it, seven bucks is hardly a fortune (Plus I just paid twice that for a game on steam that is sorta 'meh'..).

Random question.. Can you lower the speed? I like playing DF with the FPS locked at 60, lets me see what's going on, can you do that in this too?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:22:21 am by Mickey Blue »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2012, 10:37:35 am »

Yes, buy it from Desura! It updates with the new versions and is the easiest way to keep up with Alpha/beta games. Consider it Steam for Indies.

Second, yes, you have 2 speeds for gameplay and a pause(spacebar or pause button).
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2012, 11:20:35 am »

Yea but even the lower speed is still pretty fast.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2012, 12:43:10 pm »

I am running an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5Ghz with dual GTX 570 cards and I don't find the slow speed to be too fast unless I have more than 30 gnomes. I also use the pause a lot though, so it might be a difference in play styles.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2012, 02:04:45 pm »

This really looks quite nice. But something in my mind snaps when it comes to Gnomes. Garden gnomes. You know?

At least DF has proper Tolkien-ripoff species. :P

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2012, 02:14:45 pm »

Robobob, the dev, states that the Dragonlance gnomes were a big part of his inspiration.

The wikipedia page for Dragonlance has this to say about the Gnomes:
Gnomes (also called minoi or tinker gnomes) were created after Reorx, god of the forge, cursed the scions that were helping him in forging the world after these tried to develop items for themselves.

Gnomes are quite short with brown skin. They are constantly thinking of new inventions and have developed a tendency for speaking faster than the Common speech. Each gnome is given a life-quest which must be accomplished, but is passed on from generation to generation if not completed. Their names are created by basically repeating the history of their entire ancestry and can go one for volumes if not stopped. Also, gnome inventions have a reputation for never working since once something works perfectly, there is no enjoyment in fixing it.

The gnomes are considered one of the races of the Graygem because they are the ancestors of dwarves and kenders.

It is also widely suspected that WoW used these same Gnomes for their inspiration.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2012, 04:18:46 pm »

how do I rotate stairs?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2012, 04:43:31 pm »

press "r"

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2012, 05:01:46 pm »

thanks  :D

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2012, 10:07:42 pm »

Why der fuck would you call your game Gnomoria? Sounds very STD-y.
Oh thank god I'm not the only one.
I thought this too, for the record. And the immigrants are known as 'Gnomads', according to the wiki.

Also, you apparently need a 3D graphics card to play.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2012, 06:09:45 am »

what do I do with all the corspes?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2012, 07:57:42 am »

designate a stockpile for body parts. There are no graves in the game yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 02, 2012, 05:53:21 pm »

I can wholeheartedly say that after thoroughly attempting to fumble through .83, that this game is very much a simplified version of Dwarf Fortress. Except my gnomes keep getting stuck for no reason in the middle of stockpile work/mining and almost starving to death, it's pretty neat. This game would be quite the achievement if DF wasn't already doing everything it wishes it did, heh.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 02, 2012, 05:59:21 pm »

That's a little bit brutal way to go about it.  Right now development is entirely on bugfixes.  Soon you'll see fun content cropping up, especially in the machinery area.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 02, 2012, 07:20:53 pm »

i did buy the game, though i regret it now. i wish the best to the developer and the game, but i really don't have that much to spare and didnt get much enjoyment out of it. the completely mouse based interface makes the game too cumbersome, navigating menus is much more cumbersome in the long run than memorizing a sequence of 3 letters, and the isometric graphics are another hurdle to overcome. i never used tilesets for dwarf fortress either, and never actually played with stonesense on. aesthetically speaking, i prefer df

overall, i feel dwarf fortress is still the superior game, both in gameplay as well as in interface, and although i can't argue it is graphically superior, i find ascii graphics more interesting.

i did enjoy some parts of the interface though, mainly the management screens. i even prefer the ingame "gnome therapist" than dwarf therapist, though that wasnt enough to wash off the feeling that i could be having more fun playing df
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27