Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Heroes of Might and Magic III - Still the best TBS since sliced bread (tourney?)  (Read 18129 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Ok so my viwe on the series.
You forgot HoMM6, aka the most horrific butchery of the series possible.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TBH i never played it because my PC runs on steam and HoMM V was the last one i was able to somehow run.
What happened in HoMM6?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TBH i never played it because my PC runs on steam and HoMM V was the last one i was able to somehow run.
What happened in HoMM6?
It became the most horrific butchery of the series possible.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What happened in HoMM6?
There are many ways to butcher a series. Kings Quest got butchered by turning it into a Action RPG.
What did they do to HoMM that HoMM4 didn't already do?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What happened in HoMM6?
There are many ways to butcher a series. Kings Quest got butchered by turning it into a Action RPG.
What did they do to HoMM that HoMM4 didn't already do?
To be honest, I don't even remember. It's been a while since I played. However, three things I'll never forget: first, one faction had a Snow Maiden unit, which could be upgraded into Yuki-Onna. Aka the DIRECT FUCKING TRANSLATION of the original name. Second, insanely slow unskippable animations (even at the top speed), which additionally got regularly 'spiced-up' with, again, unskippable, slowed-down intricate kill animations on critical hits. And third, bonus resources, artifacts and stuff if you're logged in their online service while playing. I know it doesn't sound that bad in words, but it is HORRIBLE, believe me.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:47:45 am by Dariush »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile

To be honest, I don't even remember. It's been a while since I played. However, three things I'll never forget: first, one faction had a Snow Maiden unit, which could be upgraded into Yuki-Onna. Aka the DIRECT FUCKING TRANSLATION of the original name. Second, insanely slow unskippable animations (even at the top speed), which additionally got regularly 'spiced-up' with, again, unskippable, slowed-down intricate kill animations on critical hits. And third, bonus resources, artifacts and stuff if you're logged in their online service while playing. I know it doesn't sound that bad in words, but it is HORRIBLE, believe me.

I believe you are exaggerating. Although the always-online DRM is really that awful.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

He also left out the most horrific insult, they killed the town screen, I mean, if you have an engine that's better than the one in V (which had the best looking cities ever (3 was good too, but those were hand drawn so they're their own league) where you could fly trough the damn things and marvel at all the purrdy stuff you don't go an make the damn thing a pop-up window that gives you a slightly tilting image of a very poor looking town *glares at the Necropolis*

Also, I'm not sure why but I've been playing KB lately and I greatly prefer it's combat system for some reason, not sure why but the whole thing is much more fun than the one in HOMM, maybe it's the units themselves or the dragon thingy.

That said, HOMM is still one of my dearest games, the third one especially since I wasted so many hours with it when I was a kid.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

there is a pretty awesome mod called Wake of Gods that I usually install with the game when I am itching to reinstall it.

http://heroescommunity.com/forumdisplay.php3?FID=12

More specifically: http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=32519
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:56:02 am by ductape »
I got nothing

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Second, insanely slow unskippable animations (even at the top speed), which additionally got regularly 'spiced-up' with, again, unskippable, slowed-down intricate kill animations on critical hits. ,

You can turn them off in the setting screen, and even then they don't take that long, about the time of a normal stab and kill.
one faction had a Snow Maiden unit, which could be upgraded into Yuki-Onna. Aka the DIRECT FUCKING TRANSLATION of the original name.

How the heck is this a butchery on the series!? This counts mostly as a nitpick.

And third, bonus resources, artifacts and stuff if you're logged in their online service while playing. I know it doesn't sound that bad in words, but it is HORRIBLE, believe me.

Seeing as the game is far harder than typical at times, it's kind of neccessary, though I do like the leveling up items to be honest.
He also left out the most horrific insult, they killed the town screen, I mean, if you have an engine that's better than the one in V (which had the best looking cities ever (3 was good too, but those were hand drawn so they're their own league) where you could fly trough the damn things and marvel at all the purrdy stuff you don't go an make the damn thing a pop-up window that gives you a slightly tilting image of a very poor looking town *glares at the Necropolis*

This however, was a bit of butchery. Pretty much one of THE main complaints for Homm6

Really the only game that was a horrific butchery on the series was Homm4, I mean the horrible town system, the horrible pick and choose monsters, the fact it changed from cities to "Order, chaos, death, life" and other generic crap if I wanted that I'd play lord of magic, at least they tied it in properly to the races. The only good thing in that game was the storyline, and it wasn't worth playing through for.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:49:43 pm by ZebioLizard2 »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And third, bonus resources, artifacts and stuff if you're logged in their online service while playing. I know it doesn't sound that bad in words, but it is HORRIBLE, believe me.

Seeing as the game is far harder than typical at times, it's kind of neccessary, though I do like the leveling up items to be honest.
What.

WHAT.

Increased difficulty justifies what is in essence a completely bullshit discrimination of people who for some reason can't or don't want to login/stay continously online while playing a single-player game?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile

Really the only game that was a horrific butchery on the series was Homm4, I mean the horrible town system, the horrible pick and choose monsters, the fact it changed from cities to "Order, chaos, death, life" and other generic crap if I wanted that I'd play lord of magic, at least they tied it in properly to the races. The only good thing in that game was the storyline, and it wasn't worth playing through for.

There are many things I dislike in HoMM4, but the magic/town system - or, rather the idea of it - ain't one. It's executed consistently throughout the game.
Now, if you said bad balancing, ugly isometric graphic style, Necropolis/Inferno merger, lack of unit variety in your armies, ...
And I'll be the vocal minority in that I liked H6, and am quite excited to see where it will go after the obvious two expansion packs when we have more than five towns (lol). The obvious huge blunder is the always-online DRM, it's just that godawful. It also has a bit of a pacing problem. Dynasty System is kind of unneeded but doesn't exactly destroy the game, if you dislike it you can disable it for your skirmishes. But it is a worthy successor in my eyes, and a good Heroes.

Also, did someone mention H5's derpiest AI of them all that takes anywhere from five minutes upwards for a turn come late game and larger maps? Thankfully there is an AI patch that makes it quite a bit faster and not quite as dumb.

The defense rests.

/e: Ah, while we are at it, I presume that everyone of us didn't refuse to outright play both the third and the fifth part. What faction/hero spec do you prefer, and how do you do the skilling?
Personally, I either go for a) light-magic wielding knights or b) magical masters of Blowing Stuff Up. H5's Firetrap is the best spell ever.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:30:38 pm by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile

I also think the third one was the best in the series, at least it was the one that kept me playing longest. However "best TBS" is a little far. I still prefer Civ 4 for its more epic feel through time, plus I prefer being able to choose where to site my towns. And, from what I remember, the random maps in HoMM III didn't mesh as well as I would have liked.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What.

WHAT.

Increased difficulty justifies what is in essence a completely bullshit discrimination of people who for some reason can't or don't want to login/stay continously online while playing a single-player game?

The only online part miffs me very much, I was not justifying the online portion, I just mentioned I enjoyed the bonus parts to it, I thought you were just being angry about the bonus issues, not the online part, sorry to mus-interpret you on that. But it's ubisoft, what can one do for them with their DRM anymore as they consistently skew facts, various issues, constantly trying to justify it to the point of insanity. As it is, it's simply the worst part of them, it's like Activisions dickery, EA's horrible release schedule which forces companies to release far earlier than planned, you just...Sort of expect it now, which is depressing.

What faction/hero spec do you prefer, and how do you do the skilling?
Dungeon ranged build, with a hint of debuffing dark magics.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile

What.

WHAT.

My biggest gripe with HoMM6. Right there. Why should I be punished for buying a game and not being able to play it?
I am in a huge love-hate relationship with Ubisoft. They butchered this series, but then they go to E3 and just wipe the floor with everybody with Watch dogs, AC3 and ZombieU. I'm hoping that that wake up call continues and they fix this game, but I got low hopes after 6 or so months and they still haven't fixed this game.

More on topic though, HoMM3 had that random element with the magic spells. How many of you actually liked that? I thought the progression system in HoMM6 was better (where you picked the spells you wanted from a tree) because it seemed more tactical, but that meant that only a few unique builds are any good. However, in HoMM3 you had no choice, but that could lead to issues where you didn't get the spells you really wanted/need for your strategy. Thoughts?
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

and here i thought this thread was going to be about the awesome game HoMM3, how much longer are we going to gripe about the other stuff? I can come back later...
I got nothing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6