Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Heroes of Might and Magic III - Still the best TBS since sliced bread (tourney?)  (Read 18116 times)

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile

To be frank it did add some good things to the core game.
I personally liked the Commander system,even though it could use some balancing.
Also having extra rules/options at the start of a game is nice.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile

Anyone mods this ?

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

I've never done any mods for HoMM3, but I did muck around a bit in part 4. It came with a construction set and all.

Actually, it used to make me laugh a bit. Me and a mate used to play a fair bit of HoMM4 competitively against each other, and then stumbled onto the Equilibrius mod. It fixed so many things, but then went ahead and left so much unchanged. The broken spells kind of stayed broken, the harder races were still harder to play. But for some god-alone-know's-reason, it made necropilis(undead) even better. And more versatile.

It was fun having to make house rules about spells, units able to be used, and even factions that could be fielded, whilst using the best balance mod available for the game. Equilibrius was so very cool, but the game was still so very broken.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:07:32 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

I'm partial to Forest myself. Stacks and stacks of upgraded elves FTW. Especially with Treants to keep units out of the elves' faces.

I still have my CD of this, I should reinstall.
Above applies to me as well.

I also had Homm4. I think Homm3 was a better game, but I really enjoyed the voice acting in Homm4. Gauldoth Half Dead in particular.

The thing that I disliked the most of Homm4 is they blew up the world that previous Might and Magic games were set in. It was very disappointing since I had Might and Magic 6-8, I played the crap out of the computer first person shooter of Legends of Might and Magic (which was awesome and you can find online for free if you look hard enough, not sure if people still play but they did as of a few years ago) and also had Homm3. I mean, in Might and Magic 8 you save the world from being blown up and then they go and blow it up anyways.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

So. Who's up to playing a test round of unmodded HoMM3 this week? Maybe even today.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's reason to necro this topic.

A new heroes 3 expansion was released a few days ago: Horn of the Abyss. Not an official expansion, but you can't tell by the quality, the new units, artwork and other content fit right in. It's amazing how playable the game is after all these years, and if content like this keeps getting released it will be playable for many more years to come.

Apparently the expansion had been released before, but in russian. There's an English translation now.

Forum topic can be found here:
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=39830

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Amazing. I'll have to finish all three official campaigns first though :P. I've only ever finished the very first human one xD

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I felt that, while all the game after 3 got more polished, the # of options continued to swiftly dwindle. Something about heroes in 5 really bugged me, because it felt like they were X, Y or Z hero with 1 or 2 different traits to set them apart.

I have the best memories of 3 but admit there's a lot of nostalgia there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I prefer 3 over 5 too.
I stopped playing (the demo of) 6 pretty early on because the campaign was just plain stupid. I might be mistaken but I think there was an Orc named Martin Luther Mandela Bloodgorge King.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is one of best games i ever played and still do, and with Hota or WoG, new heroes can not compare to them.

But i liked heroes 5 with all the expansions.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is one of best games i ever played and still do, and with Hota or WoG, new heroes can not compare to them.

But i liked heroes 5 with all the expansions.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Someone bumped a topic about the best game of my childhood, and everyone's childhood?
YES!

That being said, nobody talks about HoMM IV, the underrated masterpiece. :'(
*DarkDXZ is a sad panda*

Alright, to be fair, it had its flaws, but it was very much enjoyable, in a way different from its previous and future installments, but still, it was still a good game.

This game. It just doesn't die. And I'm very proud it doesn't. :D
Shame I can't say that about HoMM4, but alas...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:57:03 am by DarkDXZ »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Couldn't agree more!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Also, this might be irrelevant to most of the community, but I also really enjoyed the Polish localization of the game, though voice acting was kind of wonky at times (at least that's what I heard, to me it sounded good.).

Downloading HotA right now. I tried to play it a few months ago, but it's definitely not a good way to learn Russian. :P
Does it require a regular installation of HoMM3 or what?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the installation instructions:

Platform and installing
The whole modification is created by reverse-engineering Shadow of Death files. So, HotA is to be installed on top of clean Heroes III: SoD or Complete edition. We do not guarantee stable work on any “optimized builds” or with mods that can change original game files (except for HD mod, which is 100% compatible). The modification surely will not work on AB, RoE or WoG. No ERM (or other script language) support is available.

So it seems like you need the SoD expansion or the complete edition for this to work.
Most of the Homm3 community these days is Russian, Polish or Chinese. There are tons of maps out there that look great but are written in unintelligible gibberish. I'm glad Hota was translated, it's an amazing mod.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:28:05 am by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6