Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire alcohol slowdown not caused by alcohol?  (Read 1866 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Vampire alcohol slowdown not caused by alcohol?
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:39:25 pm »

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Talk #18
Toady: Yeah. I mean, your fortress should eventually get marked as a death trap if you keep murdering your migrants and then since you'll have no one come to your fortress your vampires would start to slow down. They don't ever die from not drinking, they just get really slow. If they're at maximum slowness they might still be better overall than a regular dwarf in terms of their combat abilities and stuff because they have resistance to damage and higher attributes and stuff like that. There's not really a reason not to do it. I mean, you would have an evil fort, it would be bad to be a vampire. I guess you'd be more immune to zombie attacks because the zombies wouldn't attack your vampires.
Maybe this is why vampires slow down? Because everyone thinks that they slow down because of alcohol withdrawl, but maybe it isn't that. We need !!SCIENCE!!!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire alcohol slowdown not caused by alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »

They don't ever die from not drinking, they just get really slow.
[/quote]
get really slow
from not drinking

I think that alcohol is still the problem.

Alcohol is always the problem.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:55:41 pm »

EDIT: Total newb double post went here, sorry!

Please disregard.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Talk #18
Toady: Yeah. I mean, your fortress should eventually get marked as a death trap if you keep murdering your migrants and then since you'll have no one come to your fortress your vampires would start to slow down. They don't ever die from not drinking, they just get really slow. If they're at maximum slowness they might still be better overall than a regular dwarf in terms of their combat abilities and stuff because they have resistance to damage and higher attributes and stuff like that. There's not really a reason not to do it. I mean, you would have an evil fort, it would be bad to be a vampire. I guess you'd be more immune to zombie attacks because the zombies wouldn't attack your vampires.
Maybe this is why vampires slow down? Because everyone thinks that they slow down because of alcohol withdrawl, but maybe it isn't that. We need !!SCIENCE!!!

Easy to test. Get a vampire in your fort, and don't isolate/stop it. Let it feed as it wants. If it gets witnessed, convict someone else. See if the vampire can keep up the speed.

If the vampire slows down, post the bug on the bug tracker so that Toady can fix it. Post a link to the save file to give an example.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:06:25 pm »

Yeah, the key is a save file, preferable from a non-modded game, that displays the behaviour in question.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:44:59 am »

It would make sense, dwarven blood by all means should count as an alcoholic drink. ;D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Gigabytebob

• Bay Watcher
  • Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 01:11:50 am »

well did anything come out did he slow down or not
adamantine, the only material that can be honed to an edge so fine it can cut light, cleave steel like butter, and sever heads with the enthusiasm of a deranged bloodthirsty child.

Turn those goblinoid uglybolds into adorable cutebolds

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 01:19:48 am »

Answer on the wiki. Probably 5 years ago when this thread was last seen. Lack of alcohol slows down vampires.

Gigabytebob

• Bay Watcher
  • Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 01:28:59 am »

Answer on the wiki. Probably 5 years ago when this thread was last seen. Lack of alcohol slows down vampires.
thank you my good sir that is all i needed to know
adamantine, the only material that can be honed to an edge so fine it can cut light, cleave steel like butter, and sever heads with the enthusiasm of a deranged bloodthirsty child.

Turn those goblinoid uglybolds into adorable cutebolds

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 05:59:39 am »

Gods it's a long time since I've seen Urist Da Vincis miasma profile picture....
aaaand it's still funny.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!