Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: conquering hfs with archers  (Read 8372 times)

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
conquering hfs with archers
« on: June 08, 2012, 04:38:38 pm »

i dug a long curved path to the candy spire, carved fortifications in the wall, built some bridges and then breached the candy. i stationed my archers on the other side and was very happy that they (or some lone elite ones of them) managed to kill the clowns with ease. i have their numbers down from ca 120 to about 90.
the problem is: despite being stationed in a HUGE ammunition stockpile i built next to the fortifications  before the gate of doom, my archers seem to have run out of ammo.
what can be done? why don't they restock their quivers?
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: conquering hfs with archers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:17:45 pm »

If they see an enemy and have no ammo, they want to hit it in melee. The solution (search for pillboxes) is to include raised bridges behind the first line of fortifications to block their view. They will 'disnegage' and restock their ammo. After that open the bridge again and let the slaughter continue.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:48:10 pm »

Or just make them go off duty to collect bolts. I'm surprised the clowns are being that patient for you, it's rather respectful really.

"No no, go get some more bolts, we've waited since world gen for this opportunity, a few more seconds can't hurt."

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 06:20:49 pm »

Or just make them go off duty to collect bolts. I'm surprised the clowns are being that patient for you, it's rather respectful really.

"No no, go get some more bolts, we've waited since world gen for this opportunity, a few more seconds can't hurt."

yeah well i thought, at least the ones with "deadly dust" and stuff would be.. well deadly. but so far i have not a single injured dwarf. a bit disappointing. maybe i should (really) open the gates and let the fortress go down with a bang.

as for drawbridges: unfortunately it's a bit late for that now. i'm currently carving a giant cave in trap above them.

what i don't know: the wiki says what to expect (only one big wave) and elsewhere, contrary to that, that clowns continue to wander into hfs from the edge. so if i wipe out the big wave, is hfs empty? can i settle there then? or will i continuously have to secure the gate?
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:25:25 pm »

What will happen is: you will still get demons from the edges like wildlife. You can totally settle there if you wall it in, but they'll keep coming in small numbers. Well smaller than the massive wave at the breach. So yeah, until the construction is done, you will have attacking demons.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:30:48 pm »

If they see an enemy and have no ammo, they want to hit it in melee. The solution (search for pillboxes) is to include raised bridges behind the first line of fortifications to block their view. They will 'disnegage' and restock their ammo. After that open the bridge again and let the slaughter continue.

Oh god. And I was going to attempt pretty much the same thing without the bridges and fail. :P Sure glad I browsed the forums...

What will happen is: you will still get demons from the edges like wildlife. You can totally settle there if you wall it in, but they'll keep coming in small numbers. Well smaller than the massive wave at the breach. So yeah, until the construction is done, you will have attacking demons.

Yeah, I found this out and managed to kill off the ones that came through with a single swordmaster (who proceeded to melt to death or something). Had sealed up the first ones and wanted to plug up the hole to get to the candy. It seemed like they pathed in instantly too, so I figure they don't just wander down there unless there's no path.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 09:40:54 pm »

This isn't _quite_ accurate.  Demons will spawn on the map edge, but only in a single group of roughly 3-5 and they'll eventually exit the map after a while if nothing happens.  Pretty much like surface and cave wildlife.  Killing the initial Clown Car rush of 40-odd demons is the real challenge.  The survivors of it are what generally give you an unhealthy roaming population in the HFS.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »

Of course, unless they fixed it only the initial wave of demons can fly.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:12:35 pm »

Of course, unless they fixed it only the initial wave of demons can fly.

Actually, they spawn right beneath the breach and 'magically' all path upwards, regardless of flying ability.  The Clown Car would be a LOT less threatening otherwise. (You usually only see one flying type in the random mix of demon types you get)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 12:43:10 am »

And up to 120 might spawn when you breach, too.

Also, fun fact: FBs spawn in HFS once it's discovered, like any cavern layer. And they are hostile to the locals.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 12:45:38 am »

And up to 120 might spawn when you breach, too.

Also, fun fact: FBs spawn in HFS once it's discovered, like any cavern layer. And they are hostile to the locals.
"Place your bets, place your bets! Forgotten beast made of ice, or snow spirit?"
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

reilwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 01:43:16 am »

what can be done? why don't they restock their quivers?

Have them patrol between an ammo stockpile and your firing range. Once they move out of line of sight of the clowns they should realize they need to pick up ammo.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 02:20:29 am »

I don't think this is true - Or at least I never saw it happen.  Could very well have been pure RNG luck on my part

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 05:16:13 am »

40-odd?

about 130 in my case.
the archers got almost 40 until they ran out of ammo and i out of patience.
since the clowns were all lined up pretty nicely in the "shooting range", i collapsed a bit of mountain in the room above which breached through the floor and killed all of them.

so i guess: initial wave survived with not a single casualty on my side

edit: are clowns butcherable?

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 05:33:58 am »

Oh god. And I was going to attempt pretty much the same thing without the bridges and fail. :P Sure glad I browsed the forums...

you're welcome :)
and i'd say it can totally be done (without the bridges) if the stockpile is out of sight so they DO go get new ammo.
i had 3 squads in rotation with the first being my main archer squad (4 elites, rest fairly good) and the other 2 entirely untrained peasants and fishery workers. the archers were 8 tiles away from the clowns and didn't get hit once by anything deadly.
Pages: [1] 2