Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 11 years of ToadyOne, today.  (Read 4071 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: 11 years of ToadyOne, today.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:18:28 pm »

Capntastic, Tormy, Aqizzar, Draco18s...  I don't wanna name too many names because it would seem like I'm playing favorites.  Those are just names I recognized in the members list when sorted oldest to newest.  Until I got bored of looking someplace around 2006 date registered that is.  Well before I showed up anyway.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:20:36 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 03:49:27 am »

Get that toad a pint! Or hell, maybe a whole litre!

.... Is a litre more than a pint? I don't really know Metric, I'm American.

Yes, a litre is about 4 pints I think. I don't really care for the american system.

It's almost exactly a quart.

(Here's something great: the ratio between a mile and a kilometer is very close to the golden ratio!)

I'm an American and I don't know liquid measures in the US Customary system. Ever since high school, I've just tried to go with the metric system as much as I can so I don't need to use stupid mnemonics to remember what a teaspoon or tablespoon is and how many are in a gallon. I do know its 3.8 liters to the quart, though. What I don't know is how many teaspoons there are in a gallon. (It isn't totally "American". Two other countries use it too, but they aren't !!AMERICA!! so no one cares about them. Its based off the British Imperial system anyways.)
I'm American and I don't know anything about the conversions of liquid measurement. I use tablespoons and cups for cooking, and gallons for any high-volume stuff. Medicine is milliliters, although I can'tdon't really recognizeof amounts since that measures the amount of active ingredient it doesn't correspond to any observable volume. That's every situation where I ever work with fluid measurements, and none of it takes any conversion at all.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:23:19 pm by Cruxador »

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 05:19:51 am »

How long left until Toady inadvertently creates self-aware AI?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 05:18:42 pm »

Can frogs even live that long?
Toadyone the frog?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 11:13:45 pm »

How long left until Toady inadvertently creates self-aware AI?

Hmm, about six months and nine days, give or take a few hours.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 04:46:19 pm »

Woo 11 years!

Though as a side note the time registered is the same for everyone who joined the forum before the big forum move way back.  The old forum software did not keep track of the time registered.  But SMF requires it.  So all the oldbies have a time registered like that.

[The more you know.jpg]

Time, but not date, right?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 05:41:18 am »

Get that toad a pint! Or hell, maybe a whole litre!

.... Is a litre more than a pint? I don't really know Metric, I'm American.

It's just over 2 (2.113, to be exact); I don't know my own American system because it sucks, so :P

Unless you use UK pints, in which case it's 1.76 pints.

I wish the imperial system was at least consistent country-to-country and internally (16 ounces to the pound and 14 pounds to the stone? Why not the same number? 12 inches to the foot, 3 feet to the yard, 22 yards to the chain, 10 chains to the furlong, 8 furlongs to the mile. They didn't use the same number twice in that! And given that furlongs and chains aren't really used any more, you end up with 12 inches to the foot, 3 feet to the yard, 1760 yards to the mile, which isn't exactly nice to remember and no more consistent).

UK gallons are ~1.2 US gallons (same as the pints) which causes hell trying to decipher miles-per-gallon information for cars. "Is that a US mpg or a UK mpg?"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:49:22 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 05:51:43 am »

I wish the imperial system was at least consistent country-to-country and internally (16 ounces to the pound and 14 pounds to the stone? Why not the same number? 12 inches to the foot, 3 feet to the yard, 22 yards to the chain, 10 chains to the furlong, 8 furlongs to the mile. They didn't use the same number twice in that! And given that furlongs and chains aren't really used any more, you end up with 12 inches to the foot, 3 feet to the yard, 1760 yards to the mile, which isn't exactly nice to remember and no more consistent).

1000 milligrams to the gram, 1000 grams to the kilogram, 1000 kilograms to the metric ton (megagram).
1000 millilitres to the litre, 1000 litres to the kilolitre, 1000 kilolitres to the megalitre.
1000 millimeters to the meter, 1000 meters to the kilometer, 1000 kilometers to the megameter.

Any arguments why a country would NOT use a system like that?

Seriously, the imperial system is just... just...

Someone give me an adjective here...

And those were only part of the prefixes you can use.

Gimme a sec... Karl Marx Gave The Proletariat Eleven Zeppelins, Yo

Deca- Hehto- Kilo- Mega- Giga- Tera- Peta- Exa- Zetta- Yotta-

Microsoft Made No Profit From Anyone's Zunes, Yo

Deci- Centi- Milli- Micro- Nano- Pico- Femto- Atto- Zepto- Yocto-
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:57:23 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 04:06:33 pm »

(1)  for some applications you have a standard size that's not metric?  Like, 1 A.U. is a better unit for planetary distances than 149.60×106 km.  1 pint is a better size for a beer than 473 mL. 

(2)  10 and 100 are sort of lame numbers without enough divisors.  sometimes you just wanna divide by 3 evenly.

(3)  Celsius and Kelvin are fine in the lab, but terrible for describing temperature for human habitation.  In Farenheit: 0 is too cold to go outside, and 100 is too hot to go outside.

Karl Marx Gave The Proletariat Eleven Zeppelins, Yo

LOL!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 04:59:32 pm »

(1)  for some applications you have a standard size that's not metric?  Like, 1 A.U. is a better unit for planetary distances than 149.60×106 km.  1 pint is a better size for a beer than 473 mL. 

(2)  10 and 100 are sort of lame numbers without enough divisors.  sometimes you just wanna divide by 3 evenly.

(3)  Celsius and Kelvin are fine in the lab, but terrible for describing temperature for human habitation.  In Farenheit: 0 is too cold to go outside, and 100 is too hot to go outside.

LOL!

P. sure they use 500 ml in metric countries instead of a pint >_>

Also, I'm also pretty sure an A.U is used with SI/metric <_<

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 12:22:18 am »

Kelvin yeah, but Celsius? How is it terrible for describing temperature for human habitation? 0 is the freezing point of water (you'll know when it snows), 5 is chilly, 15 is fine, 20 is warm, 30 is hot.

Oh, and 0 Fahrenheit is not too cold to go outside. -40 Fahrenheit? Close. But then again, -40 F = -40 C.

100 F is not too hot to go outside, but close.

If you really want a terrible temperature scale, use Rankine. That scale shouldn't be used anywhere outside... outside... I don't know, a hipster's thermometer?

...except when you stop to think and realize it makes more sense than Fahrenheit...

And what Putnam said.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:37:08 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 06:20:14 am »

Kelvin scale ftw.

"Oh don't worry, it's just 0 Kelvin outside, I'm sure all you'll need is a coat or something."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »

An important thing to remember about imperial measurements is that they grew up organically from use. They're all weights or distances that conveniently described stuff people interacted with (a pint is the amount of beer you drink in a sitting, for example, and a bushel is the maximum amount that you can carry fairly easily) or were easy to measure (an inch is the length of your thumb from tip to joint, a yard is from your nose to your thumb and also the length of a stride). They aren't really intended to be converted, and the fact that the conversion ratios even work out to whole numbers is just because it was convenient to do it that way when weights and measures were standardized.

Tl;dr: Imperial measurements were made by and for common everyday use, and not for scientists in lab coats to do math with.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 11:33:24 am »

That explains a lot.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 12:04:44 pm »

LOL!

P. sure they use 500 ml in metric countries instead of a pint >_>

Also, I'm also pretty sure an A.U is used with SI/metric <_<
Over here in .au (australia) we generally drink in schooners which are 425 ml (actually that's in queensland, a schooner is different in other states, theres other sizes that are non standard between states to, and it's still legal to buy beer in bars in pints, the size of the pint is different depending on the state also)
Yeah metric is good because its a pretty consistant standard.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 [2]