Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Missing child unofficially found. Notify the parents?  (Read 7670 times)

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing child unofficially found. Notify the parents?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07:01 pm »

"Mother...Father...? Please...I'll be good..." the child croaked pathetically, his once chubby fingers clutching at the pitiless bars. "I've stopped crying...Please...Please let me out...I'll be..."

Anonymous figures shuttled passed the dying child, too busy, too ignorant, or just too uncaring to pay heed. It was true that he had stopped crying days before. A body bereft of water could no long spare the luxury of tears.

"Please...Can anyone hear me? Mother...Father..." The child whimpered and curled up on the floor of the cage, careful not to jostle the barbed goblin bolt festering in his side.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is probably the most horrific mental image I have ever encountered on these forums. You are soulless, yet I can only applaud your artistry.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:29 am »

Wow, thanks. I managed to get an emotive response, and from a DFer no less. I can now claim to be a legitimate artist.  :P

I imagine the drawing as an engraving in Saiko's fortress.

The Ignominious Collective Failures of Responsibility

Engraved on the wall is an image of a cage, a child and a dwarf. The child is in the cage. The child is in the foetal position. The dwarf is idling. The artwork relates to the slow death of Urist McThirsty in the dwarven fortess Checkcages in the late summer of 945.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 12:45:24 pm »

Wow, thanks. I managed to get an emotive response, and from a DFer no less. I can now claim to be a legitimate artist.  :P

Engraved on the wall is an image of a cage, a child and a dwarf. The child is in the cage. The child is in the foetal position. The dwarf is idling. The artwork relates to the slow death of Urist McThirsty in the dwarven fortess Checkcages in the late summer of 945.

Seriously, I'm at a loss for words, even a day later.

On a related note, is it known if you can get dwarfs out of cages? Is this possibly a bug?
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 12:47:19 pm »

On a related note, is it known if you can get dwarfs out of cages? Is this possibly a bug?
1. Yes
2. No

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 01:49:30 pm »

I have a similar issue, this was a full grown dwarf that landed himself in a cage trap during a goblin raid (I think).
He's quite dead now and his ghost is haunting the place (fairly peacefully).

Getting the corpse out of the cage is proving to be problematic, I've built it, attached a lever, pulled the lever.
When I build the cage the corpse disappears.
When I pull the lever and the cage deconstructs, the corpse is back.
I can see the corpse, but it can't be access for setting dump/forbid flags as far as I can tell.

I've been digging for magma, but so far I've hit nothing useful.
Will a large enough drop break a cage?
Is there a way to make fire other than magma? It's a wooden cage...
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 01:54:53 pm »

Look at the cage. Examine the cage. The corpse should show up. Mark it to be dumped there.
Alternatively just mark the cage for mass dumping, and unmark the cage itself.
Or use stock screens.
Or evil biomes.

Also
Will a large enough drop break a cage?
Is there a way to make fire other than magma? It's a wooden cage...
1. No
2. Not with Dwarves and Dwarves alone. Dragons, imps, fire crabs...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »

Basically I was curious whether they will be miserable, unhappy or fine. I like these discrepancies between an event and a reaction to it. For example one of my original seven has lost a masterful bolt due to melting (and there were 22 bolts left just fine). He was happy until the bolt was molten. After that, he went melancholic and died three weeks later. I would imagine that losing a child bears a heavier impact on morale, still these guys seem to to be doing quite well. It looks that having a penchant for cats is a risk factor, though.
You're thinking human psychology. These be dwarves. Specifically, I think the numbers go like this:

You only need 150 or a little more to be Ecstatic. Losing a direct family member is -50 happiness. Losing a close friend is around -30 or -20. Losing a masterwork is -1000/x, where x = total number of masterworks you've made in your life. I am not sure whether a stack of bolts counts as 1 or 25 on that x. I would not be surprised if your dwarf there took -1000 happiness because that one bolt was melted.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 04:57:00 am »

Would be nice, and maybe my dwarves would even repent when they saw this, but they certainly aren't that artistically involved. Literally half of their engravings is about one minotaur, who killed that or another dwarven hero. They don't care about dwarven children dying in cages. Which is actually quite authentic - if they did care about the brats, they would be releasing them from these cages. But a lazy child is not a dwarven hero, and thus not worth mentioning. Masterfully prepared roasts on the other hand…

You only need 150 or a little more to be Ecstatic. Losing a direct family member is -50 happiness. Losing a close friend is around -30 or -20. Losing a masterwork is -1000/x, where x = total number of masterworks you've made in your life. I am not sure whether a stack of bolts counts as 1 or 25 on that x. I would not be surprised if your dwarf there took -1000 happiness because that one bolt was melted.

Just before melting one bolt, made by one of my Original Seven, the guy had happiness 123 (as seen Dwarf Therapist). After melting, 22 bolts remained, and the guy had happiness zero, since DT doesn't show negative number. So definitely one stacks counts as less than number of individual bolts it contains. But there are other divisors possible with bolts, like when melting (where every ten bolts counts as 1/10th of a bar). By the way, apparently not all means of losing masterworks are recognized by dwarves. Recently I was surprised when Forgotten Beast destroyed masterwork door, and its creator wasn't moved at all, he even hasn't noticed that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]