Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the appropriate reaction to a funny tragedy?  (Read 4460 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
What is the appropriate reaction to a funny tragedy?
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:53:27 am »

This question is pretty simple.

A few days back I learned that my cousin got mauled by a tigress when she tried to pet one at a safari. My first instinct was to laugh my ass off but I had to restrain myself because people told me that was a cruel thing to do regarding this sort of thing.

By "this sort of thing" I refer to another time when my mates and me were at a picnic and one of my friends somehow managed to send himself into a seizure when he tried (and failed) to blow a balloon. I laughed my ass off there but that was when people told me that was mean. Though I still can't figure out how he nearly killed himself failing to blow up a balloon.

I mean, I kinda know this is the wrong thing to do. But I'm not really sure what the "right" thing to do is. How am I supposed to act when someone tells me someone suffered because of a really silly thing? Any advice would be helpful because I really don't know what to do.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
Re: What is the appropriate reaction to a funny tragedy?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:57:00 am »

Yay that is kind of cruel. My advice don't mock personal tragedy unless the people it happened to make a joke out of it themselves.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »

Epicaricacy. Fair game.
 Roar with laughter, fell and terrible!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:11:04 pm »

Yay that is kind of cruel. My advice don't mock personal tragedy unless the people it happened to make a joke out of it themselves.
No, no. I know that part.

I don't know what the appropriate response is. For example, I know you're supposed to act sympathetic. But it's too vague. I don't get it. Are there examples for me to follow?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:11:26 pm »

The socially acceptable reaction is to sympathize.

Though if you don't know why you should feel bad when someone gets hurt, I dunno what to say.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:13:21 pm »

You say "I'm so sorry. My condolences go out to the victim and their family. I... I need a minute to go outside and down the street to compose myself after hearing such terrible news."

Get far enough away so that you can laugh safely.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »

They say tragedy + distance = comedy, I say anything + perspective = comedy. The trick is to understand that something can be both a tragedy and a comedy at the same time, and be respectful of people's feelings on the matter. When something bad happens and you laugh in their face about it, people don't tend to like you for it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:24:56 pm »

The seizure one seems a bit different, actually.  The problem there might be that the appropriate response to someone having a seizure is to seek medical help rather than laugh at them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 12:25:23 pm »

Be respectful about it around the people who would be angry if you laughed; laugh at home and submit it to the Darwin Awards.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »

Although I could see plenty of people laughing before they realized how serious it was (and laughing again once they were sure their friend was safe)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »

Oh, if the person lived, I'd laugh my ass off about it. The only reason I'd show any sort of tact would be if they were killed/crippled, and then only to avoid having to deal with crap from people with no sense of humor. Incidentally, if I ever do something that stupid, I don't just want people to laugh at me, I want it engraved on my damned tombstone. Or urn, depending on the nature of my death.

3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »

Mrm... you guys overestimate my ability to be social.

I am not exaggerating when I say I literally don't know what to do. I understand the words "act sympathetic" or "show tact" but I don't know what that implies. To give an example, my default reaction to such a thing would be to pause for awhile, act pensive, and ask "wow, are they okay?" This is something I learned from a coworker awhile ago and I've been using this method.

The problem with it is that if they say anything other than "yeah, they're fine" I have no clue what to do and just stand there while laughing in my head.

So I kinda need help on that other half or any other specific method you guys use to deal with things like this.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 12:47:00 pm »

Psh, you just need to crack jokes with a straight face.

At their expense

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 12:51:33 pm »

"So, did she enjoy her trip to the maul?"

3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 12:53:18 pm »

I gave you pretty much exactly what to say.
Pages: [1] 2