Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well Bug?  (Read 976 times)

Insalubrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well Bug?
« on: August 18, 2006, 12:44:00 am »

So I designed a couple wells in my soon-to-be PERFECT DWARF FORTRESS, and decided I wanted to move the wells.  Now I'm stuck with some stupid 1-tile cannel spaces that I can't delete and can't rebuild wells on.  Is this a bug, or is it fixable?

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well Bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:49:00 am »

It's not a bug and it's not fixable until wall rebuilding and channel refilling are implemented.

Insalubrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:50:00 am »

That would be absolutely amazing and I see no reason not to do it.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 12:54:00 am »

I believe these reqs are quite high priority as they are one of the more annoying missing features in the alpha.

Perhaps they're even core? I forget.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 01:25:00 am »

For now though, you could turn them into 1-tile pools of water. Possibly even take a aquatic creature and place it in there sort of like a fish pond.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mayday:
<STRONG>I believe these reqs are quite high priority as they are one of the more annoying missing features in the alpha.

Perhaps they're even core? I forget.</STRONG>

They seem to be the most commonly-requested feature (or at least the most commonly-mentioned one), so I'd assume they're fairly high priority by now...

But there's still the problem of dealing with the various exploits rewalling would make available.  Players could wall up their fortress when an enemy appears, for instance; most opponents wouldn't be able to hurt you at all if you did that.  If they used mushrooms for wood, the player could even wall themselves into the fortress completely...  with a clever enough system of floodgates and channels, they could set things up so they're not open to anything anywhere (except possibly in their well) and are entirely self-sufficient.

Perhaps rebuilt walls could be only restored to partially mined-out status, and most opponents given the ability to just hit such damaged walls until they break.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:39:00 am »

Well, rewalled places should maybe be made destruckedable or, your opponents could have tunnelers or somthing? of course they could really $%^! up your fortress like that... but then again you'd have rewallng so...

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 05:53:00 am »

I'd be happy enough with tunnelling enemies, as long as they were smart enough not to bring the ceiling down on themselves.  Demons, hulks, sieging humans, oh my.

I figure allowing enemies to tunnel would be a much better option than causing the walls to be damaged by default.  You can't detail a damaged wall, which means the damaged wall would remain a permanent eyesore.  Perhaps the game could distinguish between constructed walls and non-constructed walls purely in terms of gameplay, however: if someone blocks off the front entrance of their mine by building a solid wall, sieging humans should be able to recognise that it's an unnatural reconstruction and smash it down.  So on for other foes.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »

It would probably be easiest to just create a smooth wall when they are done building, one that you can mine again.  The exploits will be handled when they are handled -- creating balance at every stage this early on would stifle development, and also be pointless in many cases, though I'll try not to screw up the game for too long too often.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!