Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Boot Camp  (Read 11266 times)

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Boot Camp
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 12:05:07 am »

Well, I've gotten them to not care, but not when I purposefully induce it. My forts usually burn out quickly because I haven't learned to be zen about it.

Also, 5 dogs is apparently not enough. She's just ecstatic because she talked to her lover. It's not even summer yet...

EDIT: 15 dogs. Miserable, not a single combat readiness shift.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:22:50 am by Talfryn »

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 12:33:18 am »

Maybe you should light the dogs on fire first, and then drop them into their bedroom.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 05:19:49 am »

Code: [Select]
62 -20/-10/-5/-3 was knocked out during a cave-in lately Tragedy
67 -20/-10/-5/-3 sustained minor injuries recently Tragedy

Hmm, I like these two. Create a chamber to purposefully cave in stationed dwarves and let them drop a few z-levels - just enough to give them minor injuries.
This both hardens your troops and trains your doctors.

(Although I don't think I've ever seen the first tragedy in a dwarf's thoughts)

Add in a lot of falling war dogs from a high enough altitude if your dwarves' happiness allows it.
(a>b) ? false : true

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 11:54:25 am »

(Although I don't think I've ever seen the first tragedy in a dwarf's thoughts)

I have. Just create a large open space (high roof mandatory), and cave in some constructed floor tiles near the Dwarf. If you did it correctly, the Dwarf will be knocked around and fall unconscious, having attained no damage from not exploding on contact with walls and their like. This causes the tragedy of being knocked unconscious by a cave in recently.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 01:34:50 pm »

I wonder if creating a chicken fighting arena would work. A 1x1 pasture, inside a structure where they could watch from the outside 30 chickens engaging in gladiatorial combat would harden them up?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 02:02:31 pm »

I wonder if creating a chicken fighting arena would work. A 1x1 pasture, inside a structure where they could watch from the outside 30 chickens engaging in gladiatorial combat would harden them up?

Good idea. Build glass windows around it. Spice it with a few upright spikes in a trap. It would look like a big blood explosion in a terrarium, Armok would be pleased.
Basically the 'drop 30 kittens in your dining hall', only more sophisticated due to having fancy windows.
(a>b) ? false : true

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 02:26:35 pm »

Drinking tainted water is a tragedy?  That seems really easy to set up.  Isolate your soldiers in a luxurious training area with their own beds, legendary dining room, masterwork roasts, gold statues, screw pumps made from steel, etc etc, but give them nothing to drink other than water from a well with a dead cat in it.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »

"was forced to eat a treasured pet to survive lately". Wait, that can happen?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 03:12:13 pm »

"was forced to eat a treasured pet to survive lately". Wait, that can happen?
I've never seen it from feeding dwarves their own dogs, might be possible with vermin pets.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »

We need to make this happen to children.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2012, 03:33:10 pm »

I believe that if you lock a dwarf in a room with their pet vermin, they'll get a negative thought from the pet's death, eating the pet, starving, and being forced to eat vermin. I don't really think it's survivable, unfortunately.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2012, 12:38:30 am »

I believe that if you lock a dwarf in a room with their pet vermin, they'll get a negative thought from the pet's death, eating the pet, starving, and being forced to eat vermin. I don't really think it's survivable, unfortunately.

If you play a lot of attention, and the room contains a forbidden food item in a stockpile that you can unforbid once the pet is eaten, it might be survivable. Especially if there is enough happiness boost in the room otherwise.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2012, 06:32:27 am »

I don't think you can lock vermin in, they teleport.

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2012, 09:35:55 am »

Don't pet vermin generally reside in animal traps or cages?
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2012, 01:54:23 pm »

I don't think you can lock vermin in, they teleport.
Wasn't that fixed in vermin pets?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4