Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Boot Camp  (Read 11255 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Boot Camp
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 06:31:20 pm »

Kill crundles if you have them, I had my four soldiers 100% hardened after three pages of dead crundles.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 06:34:49 pm »

Woah. How many war dogs would be needed for one dwarf that doesn't care?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 06:39:35 pm »

they'll also be pretty much emotionally sapped too.
Not quite, they usually get happy thoughts from partaking in slaughter recently.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 07:26:16 pm »

Woah. How many war dogs would be needed for one dwarf that doesn't care?
Hard to say, personality factors may come into play and I'm not sure how long you'd have to wait for their moods to reset to avoid face murder.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 08:04:23 pm »

Where in the dwarves page would not caring anymore pop up? I just tried three war dogs, and got nothing out of this guy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 08:28:09 pm »

Where in the dwarves page would not caring anymore pop up? I just tried three war dogs, and got nothing out of this guy.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:44 pm »

Just ensure he's happy before you butcher sgt snuffles, therapist can tell you exactly how happy the guy is, also i believe the wiki will tell you the happiness drop from loosing a pet.
A general rule of thumb for all military is to ensure they have decent civilian quarters, aren't unhappy from long patrol duty (rotate them out and make them pump operators or something if they get too unhappy) ensure your barracks are nice and contain nice armour stands etc, ensure they are clothed, are eating well ,prepared meals and decent booze are a must for your military, and such. oh yeah, a good dining room is important too.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 09:27:47 pm »

After finding out that I could only seem to make them very sad and not actually get them to not care, I'm slightly confused.

List of Dwarven Thoughts

Hit them with thoughts marked "Tragedy".  These will make them very sad, which will translate into flipping out if it goes too far.  But unlike the other thoughts that depress them, these also contribute to a nicely scarred psyche that just doesn't give a damn.  The thing you need to do is give them many opportunities to gain good thoughts, push them as close to the limit as you dare with tragedies, then give them time among their happiness generators to recover.  Once they're happy as clams again, rip another couple pieces of soul off, then give them another break from the suffering.  Keep on until they don't really care about anything anymore.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »

Hrmm.  Dwaren boot camp = lining them up up front of a minecart shotgun, loaded with lots of high boots?
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 10:55:14 pm »

Hrmm.  Dwaren boot camp = lining them up up front of a minecart shotgun, loaded with lots of high boots?
Isn't that Kobold camp?

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 10:55:27 pm »

That's not Boot Camp, that's getting the boot.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 10:57:10 pm »

If they wear the high boots it's camp kobalds.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 11:02:34 pm »

That's not Boot Camp, that's getting the boot.

Are you suggesting there's a difference?  XD
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 11:35:36 pm »

I've yet to get a dwarf to not care yet. It is... odd, to say the least. I shall keep trying. If they still care, making highly attributed and then trained might be a bad idea.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 11:41:53 pm »

I've yet to get a dwarf to not care yet. It is... odd, to say the least. I shall keep trying. If they still care, making highly attributed and then trained might be a bad idea.
It's very easy to overlook. You've probably done it 10 times over and not even realized it. Have you ever survived a tantrum spiral?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4