Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?  (Read 21431 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2012, 06:39:23 pm »

>:(

That bee thing is a myth...

I thought that for so long. But turns out, yeah, everything adds up.

Anyway, knowledge is irrelevant to truth. Just because Jane didn't see Stacy kill bill doesn't mean Ed killed bill. Stacy did it, regardless of who knows. "Truth" is the absolute. "Correct" is the relative or conditional, like for opinions.

roger on the bee thing, basically it rotates the wing so it gets maximum lift on up and down swing. Consider it a hyper advanced kolibri. If you want advanced weaponry, copy bugs

on true. Going on the post I reacted to earlier

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

in WW2 millions of jews were killed. I can dreg up more examples of genocide. However, genocide is only bad because it is an opinion, it is not a truth, since it is an opinion, not a fact
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:16 pm »

Here's another myth: Creatures with [BONECARN] sometimes choke on bones and die of suffocation.

It's been claimed on the wiki for a very long time, but I can find absolutely no evidence of it having ever happened.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2012, 12:39:43 pm »

I don't know whether this should be considered a myth rather than a mistake, but placing prepared meal stockpiles near the dining room isn't really very useful, unless your kitchens/food stockpiles are near it. Apparently, the dwarf grabs the nearest food item from when Urist gets hungry, THEN wanders over to the nearest available chair for his meal.

So, if like me, you had a meeting area near the entrance of your fort to look out for kobold thieves, my dwarves tend to seize the nearest plump helmet rather than my masterworked Cow meat roast instead.

I taken to modifying my stockpiles so that my drink stockpiles are inside my legendary dining room or at least, pass some other happiness generator so that they notice something when they dive in for a drink.

I would mention however that placing your prepared meals stockpile near the drinkpile MIGHT be useful, in terms of reducing the distance, since some of your more discipline dwarves get hungry/thirsty before they feast
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:41:51 pm by PainRack »

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:30 pm »

had a meeting area near the entrance of your fort to look out for kobold thieves
You the cruel ruler use civilian dwarves to protect the fortress! There should be a pasture or a barrack, not meeting area.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2012, 07:00:52 am »

had a meeting area near the entrance of your fort to look out for kobold thieves
You the cruel ruler use civilian dwarves to protect the fortress!

Natural selection, man.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »

bring it to a new thread, we're discussing DF myths here, like "the majority of DF players would rate as sane" .. yeah as if we don't know how to manipulate those tests. Actually, not a myth, I do rate as sane, after all. More or less.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2012, 01:10:11 pm »

I took the liberty of updating the wiki for High boot melting rates after some empirical testing.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2012, 08:51:08 pm »

Also many variations on "This game isn't fun because the UI sucks."  I have heard this a lot from people who tried it but were put off by the UI.

That's not a misconception.  That's a truth for many people. Navigating the UI keeps some people from playing, for them the game isn't fun.

Not a universal truth, but still  a truth.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:59:30 pm by Blucher »

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2012, 09:37:53 pm »

I've tested the rose gold buckets. I had only two bars, and then forged two buckets, and melted them. I have two rose gold bars now.
I'm going to test with rose gold coins, but I have 4 smelters busy melting goblinate and can't make sure the coins are melted in the same smelter, so maybe it's hard to tell the fraction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:34 pm »

I'm going to test with rose gold coins, but I have 4 smelters busy melting goblinate and can't make sure the coins are melted in the same smelter, so maybe it's hard to tell the fraction.
I'll save you the trouble - I've already personally tested coins in 0.34.11, and ten stacks melted down into 11 bars.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2012, 03:23:43 am »

I'll save you the trouble - I've already personally tested coins in 0.34.11, and ten stacks melted down into 11 bars.
So the experiment confirms the disassembly? Thank you! I will set about coping rose gold then. :P

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2012, 10:13:22 am »

So, I can use coins to create metal out of thin air?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2012, 10:21:59 am »

You can use a lot of things to create metal out of thin air. Trap components give the best return at 150%, if your desired metal is weapons-grade.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2012, 03:43:29 pm »

You can use a lot of things to create metal out of thin air. Trap components give the best return at 150%, if your desired metal is weapons-grade.

Or chain leggings made out of metal, which also give 150%.

Coins are quick and easy for the precious metals.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2012, 01:59:58 pm »

Coins are quick and easy for the precious metals.
And don't have quality levels to worry about.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]