Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?  (Read 21440 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2012, 08:30:34 pm »

You can set the frequency to FORCED.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »

I got through most of the melt testing, and then the goblins showed up. I didn't really have any defenses set up, and I'd intended to lay traps on that back hallway, but never got around to it....

Anyway, no real surprises found if you happen to be Quietust and already knew how the game would work.  For anyone else, some of the results may be surprising.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2012, 05:57:37 pm »

I got through most of the melt testing, and then the goblins showed up. I didn't really have any defenses set up, and I'd intended to lay traps on that back hallway, but never got around to it....

Anyway, no real surprises found if you happen to be Quietust and already knew how the game would work.  For anyone else, some of the results may be surprising.

So you can create steel by repeatedly making and melting battle axes?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2012, 06:06:30 pm »

and high boots wasn't it?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2012, 06:18:26 pm »

Leggings provide the most free metal per smith/melt cycle (0.5 bars per iteration).  I didn't get a chance to test high boots (my civ couldn't make them natively), but if they follow the same pattern as other armor, they should produce 0.2 bars per smithing, and 0.1 bars per melting (remember, you have to melt each one separately).

I must assume that this is a bug that will be fixed in some future version, who knows when.  According to Quietust, the coins have been providing free metal since 23a, so it might be a while.  (Free metal from leggings, battle axes, picks, gauntlets and other items is a new add-on to the bug.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2012, 07:17:55 am »

Did you try trap components?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2012, 08:05:20 am »

Everything I tested is on the wiki page.  Others can feel free to do their own testing to fill in the holes.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »

Also many variations on "This game isn't fun because the UI sucks."  I have heard this a lot from people who tried it but were put off by the UI.

That's not a misconception.  That's a truth for many people. Navigating the UI keeps some people from playing, for them the game isn't fun.

Not a universal truth, but still  a truth.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2012, 11:29:14 pm »

Did you try trap components?

As of 34.06, serrated disks are 120%, the rest are 150%. I'm redoing the testing I did in 34.06, but what I had then is the same as what greycat has now, except I didn't bother to test outside of weapons/armor/traps. The thing about coins is nice since it can use non-weapons grade metals.

This might not be the place for this, but whoever SGdYy409Ls is, and then myself, both saw ingame behavior that didn't match the wiki, and I really should have edited the page rather then just putting up a comment. Sorry about that.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2012, 04:46:50 pm »

Also many variations on "This game isn't fun because the UI sucks."  I have heard this a lot from people who tried it but were put off by the UI.

That's not a misconception.  That's a truth for many people. Navigating the UI keeps some people from playing, for them the game isn't fun.

Incorrect. The statement is not an opinion. "This game isn't fun." That's a provably false statement, because I can demonstrate that I enjoy it, at least. Therefore, its a myth.

If they had said "I don't find the game fun...." Well, that would be a different story. That's most likely true.

The point is, there is no such thing as "Truth for some people" or truth which is "not a universal truth." Those are called opinions. All things which are true are True. All Truth is universal.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2012, 10:57:04 pm »

Incorrect. The statement is not an opinion. "This game isn't fun." That's a provably false statement, because I can demonstrate that I enjoy it, at least. Therefore, its a myth.

If they had said "I don't find the game fun...." Well, that would be a different story. That's most likely true.

The point is, there is no such thing as "Truth for some people" or truth which is "not a universal truth." Those are called opinions. All things which are true are True. All Truth is universal.

very deep. I think I need to drink some before I feel like debating on the nature of truth. I would argue that truth however, is a totally chilly and inhumane concept if it is as you described. Which it probably is.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2012, 11:04:09 pm »

I consider there to be two kinds of truth; truth that depends on facts, and truth that doesn't. The kind that doesn't is pretty much the same as a belief or opinion.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2012, 01:06:19 am »

Leggings provide the most free metal per smith/melt cycle (0.5 bars per iteration).  I didn't get a chance to test high boots (my civ couldn't make them natively), but if they follow the same pattern as other armor, they should produce 0.2 bars per smithing, and 0.1 bars per melting (remember, you have to melt each one separately).

I must assume that this is a bug that will be fixed in some future version, who knows when.  According to Quietust, the coins have been providing free metal since 23a, so it might be a while.  (Free metal from leggings, battle axes, picks, gauntlets and other items is a new add-on to the bug.)

I'm not sure if this is true.

I had a very small amount of accessible candy in one of my forts. I knew about the bolt splitting and melting, but my archery range wasn't set up for bolt recovery. I checked the wiki and say that leggings give 150% bars when melted.

I made all of my candy into leggings and melted two of them down, expecting to get three bars. I'm not sure what the result of the melting was, but I remember I didn't have enough bars to make a single pair of leggings after the melting.

---truth---

Truth is difficult to define. Sure, what is true is what is 100% correct. However, a few hundred years ago, flight wasn't possible.Going about a certain speed was possible, but it turned your bones to mush. They were facts that were 100% correct at the time. People didn't know better.

Speaking of which, did you know that modern science doesn't know how bees can fly? Yet, knowing (or not knowing) this, we've built spacecraft that can travel to other planets. That certainly says something about human ingenuity (or human stupidity, if you want to look at it that way) into perspective.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2012, 08:57:07 am »

>:(

That bee thing is a myth...

I thought that for so long. But turns out, yeah, everything adds up.

Anyway, knowledge is irrelevant to truth. Just because Jane didn't see Stacy kill bill doesn't mean Ed killed bill. Stacy did it, regardless of who knows. "Truth" is the absolute. "Correct" is the relative or conditional, like for opinions.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2012, 10:41:11 am »

Danger rooms aren't part of the game.

How about the myth that using danger rooms make the game more !FUN!

To be fair, when your promiscuous Militia Commander loses her third child to wooden spears and decides that it's time for the axing eqivalent of live fire training for the entire fort, it is more !FUN!.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6