Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?  (Read 21453 times)

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »

You must laboriously assign every single dwarf a bedroom.
It DOES sastify OCD tough.

The fortress I envision has a single 3x3 (inner space) room for each dwarf with walls made of their favourite stone, two statues made of their favourite metal on each side of the door as well as a cabinet and a chest on each side of the bed, windows made of their favourite gem, and a bed made of their favourite wood. "Fabricated" obsidian floor and roof.

OCD much? I can assure you, my dwarves never, ever get depressed even when their children die, let alone tantrum. In fact, they're pretty much fanatic worshippers.

And wait until I build a depot with one still for each kind of booze.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:21 am »

I wonder what the exceptions were, since I remember that in 0.31.25 melt yields were roughly in line with materialsize / 10.

It's funny, I had checked the wiki before dusting off my plans for my bolt splitter since the 34.05 / 06 ment I was going to need quite a bit more metal, find someone seeing some strange behavior, and after a little testing turns out I don't need the bolt splitter after all  8) .
Ammo has never melted down based on material size (it still doesn't) - it just takes the stack size, divides it by 10, then adds 1 to get the number of tenths-of-a-bolt returned. Thus, bolt splitting has always worked for creating free metal.

As for stuff like weapons and armor, prior to 0.34.06 they were all fixed - all types of body armor (plate AND chain) yielded exactly 0.8 bars, all weapons/pants/shields/trapcomps gave exactly 0.5 bars, and all helms/boots/gloves gave exactly 0.3 bars. There was also the rather interesting claim that buckets were the best for training blacksmiths because they melted down to half of a bar (for a 50% yield, compared to the 33% yield for other furniture), though anyone with 5 minutes of testing would have immediately noticed that buckets always melt down to a full bar - still the best, obviously, but much more compelling.

Furthermore, nobody ever bothered testing melting coins, since if they did they would've found that a stack of coins, which costs 1 bar to mint, melts down to 1.1 bars - all you need to do is mint 10 stacks of coins and then melt them down to get a free bar of that metal, making the bolt splitting trick rather pointless (since it doesn't require any special setup and works on all types of metals other than pig iron and bismuth).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:48:25 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:51 am »

another possible myth:

vampire slowdown, caused by not drinking blood or not drinking alcohol. Word of god (toady) says not drinking blood, but it's still being spread that vampires would need alcohol too, so which one is it?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:28 am »

Where did Toady say this?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2012, 11:12:21 am »

Man, this thread did even get to the bottom of page1 before being derailed into furious discussions of the correct definition of what is a myth and which ones mentioned really ARE a myth.

I am disappoint :(

Would've been cool to see a list of things that are commonly thought to be true but actually are not (whether they never were true or if they have since been fixed).
Feeling down? Click Here!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2012, 11:13:18 am »

Where did Toady say this?

actually, I only have that third, fourth or mostly second hand, so some definate word on this should be nice
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2012, 11:34:04 am »

As for stuff like weapons and armor, prior to 0.34.06 they were all fixed - all types of body armor (plate AND chain) yielded exactly 0.8 bars, all weapons/pants/shields/trapcomps gave exactly 0.5 bars, and all helms/boots/gloves gave exactly 0.3 bars. There was also the rather interesting claim that buckets ....
Furthermore, nobody ever bothered testing melting coins, ....

That much easily verifiable info being wrong is concerning. Guess I'll fire up the forges and get some verified info up on that page.  If I ever get a vampire to show up I'll knock that one off the list too.

Anyway, my biggest one is assigning bedrooms thing. Whoever wrote that in whatever guide I read when I first started needs to be strung up by their toes  >:( .
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2012, 11:38:02 am »

most likely they only said it was possible, not needed and you only got yourself to blame

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2012, 11:48:04 am »

If there's a change to blood-drinking vs alcohol-drinking, it's a hardcoded one that makes the tag that defines blood share some of the behaviour of the tag that defines alcohol. As it stands, vampirism is a bunch of tags that gets added to or removed from a base creature, and [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] and [NO_DRINK] are two tags that do not play nice together. It's one of those human logic vs computer logic things, I think, like with all the problems people are having with linked stockpiles.

I had a look at the release notes and bugfixes dating back to 34.01, and it's just the known stuff like hiding kill lists and not accusing livestock and babies.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2012, 12:07:16 pm »

If there's a change to blood-drinking vs alcohol-drinking, it's a hardcoded one that makes the tag that defines blood share some of the behaviour of the tag that defines alcohol. As it stands, vampirism is a bunch of tags that gets added to or removed from a base creature, and [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] and [NO_DRINK] are two tags that do not play nice together. It's one of those human logic vs computer logic things, I think, like with all the problems people are having with linked stockpiles.

I had a look at the release notes and bugfixes dating back to 34.01, and it's just the known stuff like hiding kill lists and not accusing livestock and babies.

yeah, so has any science been done on this? I don't have any vampires in any of my saves currently, not living and moving ones at least, or unliving and moving

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 12:17:34 pm »

I've done some Arena science regarding the two different types of thirst. I haven't noticed any slowdown on Thirsty vampires, but then I didn't notice any on Thirsty ones and I know that thirst slows a creature down.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2012, 01:52:51 pm »

I'm in the middle of some Smelter science, making items and melting them back down to see how much metal is produced.  Here's what I have so far:

Crossbows, maces, spears, short sword: 90% reclaimed (make 10, melt 10, get 9 bars).
Caps: 30% reclaimed (make 10, melt 10, get 3 bars).
Helms: 60% reclaimed (make 10, melt 10, get 6 bars).
Gauntlets: 120% reclaimed (make 10 from 5 bars, melt 10, get 6 bars).

Vanilla DF 0.34.11.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2012, 03:05:48 pm »

another myth: traffic designations set to restricted will stop dwarfs from going to that place/area

if it's the only way, they will, if they got a job there, they will. Setting a waterfall edge (earlier versions) as restricted doesn't help, setting a meeting area as restricted doesn't mean dwarfs will stop hanging out there

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2012, 07:03:50 pm »

I'm in the middle of some Smelter science, making items and melting them back down to see how much metal is produced.  Here's what I have so far:

Crossbows, maces, spears, short sword: 90% reclaimed (make 10, melt 10, get 9 bars).
Caps: 30% reclaimed (make 10, melt 10, get 3 bars).
Helms: 60% reclaimed (make 10, melt 10, get 6 bars).
Gauntlets: 120% reclaimed (make 10 from 5 bars, melt 10, get 6 bars).

Vanilla DF 0.34.11.
That would be consistent with what's predicted for those item types. If you're going to test additional yields, I'd recommend checking the talk page - I posted a list of melt yields I got from a disassembly of the relevant code, so you should be able to compare them with your findings.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2012, 07:45:05 pm »

I probably won't do any further testing this weekend; the embark is on a work computer.  ;)  No high boots for that civilization, though maybe there's some way to hack up the raws for it.  (They should give 120% if they follow the same pattern.)  I tested all the rest of the armor, though, plus chains and cages.  All of it matches the talk page so far.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6