Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?  (Read 21443 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 07:35:47 am »

For example, if you had six dwarves in squad and you had minimum number set to 10 you could see one dwarf arranging dodge demonstration and five dwarves waiting for the demonstration to begin, which never happened.
Actually, that part is a myth...

Is it?

Why then I remember several occasions back in 0.31.01 at least where, if the minimum number set by schedules wasn't filled the demonstration, never begun?

I admit, I may remember something wrong here.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 11:36:46 am »

I've had a squad do 2 different demonstrations, 3 attending each, 2 sparring, one on break and 1 watching the sparring, so it's uncommon that 1 demonstration takes up a whole 6 dwarf squad who are waiting for one to come off break

that could be the myth?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 09:30:55 am »

I've just discovered a very interesting myth, and it's persisted for years on the wiki despite being totally false.
The myth is that "for every unit of material size an item has, 1/10th of a bar of that item's metal type will be recovered".

This has never been true.

I first discovered this while studying a disassembly of version 0.23.130.23a - I found the code for determining melt yields, examined it, and found that all of the melting yields were constant, based solely on item type and stack size. Curious to see if it was still the case, I found the same code in 0.34.11 and found that they did respect material size, but they returned 3/10 instead of 1/10 per size unit.

Then I started looking at older versions to see when it changed. What I found shocked me - aside from adding new item types, the code for determining item melt yields has not changed a single bit between version 0.23.130.23a and version 0.34.05, which is when it changed to the current behavior.

I could not track the exact origin of this information, but it was first added to the 40d page when a user imported it from the archive wiki where it pertained to 0.23.130.23a (where it was obviously false) and nobody ever verified it, and the same information has been blindly carried forward to every new version released since. This is absolutely shocking to me, and it means that a vast amount of information on the wiki can possibly no longer be trusted.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 10:39:09 am »

Well, to be fair to the wiki, it would be hard for it to be accurate since it's composed by users based on observed behavior.  In a game this complicated it can be difficult to tell cause from effect, or discern between causality and corolation. 

In other words, I think the wiki contributors have done a tremendous job working with what they have. 

That being said, nice catch!  I presume you changed it?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 10:53:38 am »

Well, to be fair to the wiki, it would be hard for it to be accurate since it's composed by users based on observed behavior.  In a game this complicated it can be difficult to tell cause from effect, or discern between causality and corolation. 
Actually testing this would have been trivial - the information about melt yields being accumulated in 0.1 bar increments (at each individual smelter) was correct, so melting 10 of the same item would have shown the exact yields and revealed that none of them depended on material size.

The wiki has indeed been updated.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »

I've just discovered a very interesting myth, and it's persisted for years on the wiki despite being totally false.
The myth is that "for every unit of material size an item has, 1/10th of a bar of that item's metal type will be recovered".

This has never been true.
...Huh. I think I encountered this once (trying to squeak an extra bar of steel out of the first autumn caravan when low on trade goods), but after some head-scratching put it down to a miscalculation on my part.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 12:16:56 pm »

Here is the man himself on the topic, in 2006.  It's the oldest mention I could find of melt yields, although one of the posts in this thread implies that there was an older post by him.

Yeah, it works in fractions.  There are no random calls within the procedure.  A goblet should produce 20% of a bar.  Each smelter stores the fractions separately by material.

As goblet size was said to be 2, this would have implied 1/10th bar per item-size to the readers.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8269.0

By 2008, the 1/10th bar per item-size was apparently already in the DFWiki.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23157.msg254280#msg254280
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:21:00 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 12:24:33 pm »

great catch
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 06:05:02 pm »

The myth about demonstrations not working is mostly from newbs flubbing it up.

If you have:
  • At least 3+ teachers so that skilled dwarves are teaching.
  • All the same weapon type
You'll get a couple skill ranks a year. Which is reasonably matched to running around stabbing animals/prisoners. As you get more teachers and they get more skilled you'll see quicker turnover until you're a training factory sending guards and supplies to a fellow brobold fortress in later versions.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2012, 02:00:30 am »

So, how does one develop teachers then?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2012, 02:41:22 am »

So, how does one develop teachers then?

Keeping them active, alive and out of action.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 07:58:56 am »

Is there a way to train specific teachers then? Furthermore.... at a risk of being a noob again, aren't teachers limited to teaching skills up to their level?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 08:25:43 am »

Is there a way to train specific teachers then? Furthermore.... at a risk of being a noob again, aren't teachers limited to teaching skills up to their level?
You train specific teachers by making those specific dwarves the ones who always stay in the training squad. Teachers will teach up to their level, and then switch to sparring, which allows them to gain more levels which they can then teach to the next set of newbies.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »

Then I started looking at older versions to see when it changed. What I found shocked me - aside from adding new item types, the code for determining item melt yields has not changed a single bit between version 0.23.130.23a and version 0.34.05, which is when it changed to the current behavior.

I wonder what the exceptions were, since I remember that in 0.31.25 melt yields were roughly in line with materialsize / 10.

It's funny, I had checked the wiki before dusting off my plans for my bolt splitter since the 34.05 / 06 ment I was going to need quite a bit more metal, find someone seeing some strange behavior, and after a little testing turns out I don't need the bolt splitter after all  8) .
After all, chaining defenceless goblins to the wall and having my dwarves beat on them with wooden sticks for ages is a much better use for them then just getting shot at but never hit.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2012, 03:40:17 pm »

You must laboriously assign every single dwarf a bedroom.
It DOES sastify OCD tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6