Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?  (Read 21458 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Top 10 Myths about DF Gameplay?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 07:17:18 pm »

That thieves escape when brought out of a cage to another destination.
Strictly speaking, it's only a myth if it's never been true - this one definitely happened in earlier versions of Dwarf Fortress (as late as 0.31.25), so if it doesn't happen anymore then it's simply outdated.

Here's a real myth: all Building Destroyers seek out and destroy supports. I actually analyzed the game's code for building destroyer behavior, and while I did discover that supports are valid targets, they will only be attacked under two circumstances:
1. the support is made of Wood
2. the creature attacking it is undead [edit] or "non-living" (e.g. magma men, bronze colossuses, and inorganic titans/FBs/demons) [/edit]
This logic actually dates all the way back to the 2D versions of Dwarf Fortress - in fact, I first found the logic in my heavily annotated disassembly of version 0.23.130.23a, then I tracked down the equivalent code in 0.34.11 (it was in pretty much the exact same 'place', so finding it only took a few minutes). Most likely, "undead" was consistent through 0.31.25 in meaning "zombie or skeleton".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:51:14 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 08:25:09 pm »

How about the myth that using danger rooms make the game more !FUN!

Simply outdated.  A training spear to the head will kill a dwarf with no hat on, but even a cloth cap should be enough to stop it.

Cloth cap >> dwarf skull.  I have no idea why, but apparently dwarf skulls truly suck.

Since dwarves (particularly children) have only been wearing clothing for the last 4 point-releases, it's too soon to call this one a myth.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 01:30:09 am »

That's what Garath was referring to, people think atom smashing/trading away/magmafying items doesn't improve fps, but it does. I think that's even the exact same thread he's talking about.

Ah woops, now I get it.  :o
(a>b) ? false : true

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 02:02:48 am »

That's what Garath was referring to, people think atom smashing/trading away/magmafying items doesn't improve fps, but it does. I think that's even the exact same thread he's talking about.

Ah woops, now I get it.  :o

your reply made me laugh though  ;D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:33 am »

atom smashing/trading away/magmafying items doesn't improve fps

yeah, there was one thread that said this and the person recalled his statements before the end, still it has been floating around

You may want to read this thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104643.0

Especially:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104643.msg3115576#msg3115576
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104643.msg3118504#msg3118504
Having less items in your game does of course speed it up.

It improves FPS only in a part, to use full FPS improvement you must save, quit DF and reload game.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 03:31:48 am »

OMG this thread is hitting hard on newb like me who followed tuturials from 2 or 3 differents personns (DJFoguey why'd you stop?) and realize the thruth is somethere else :(
* assign beds : I was doing it, getting behind as migrants arrive, could not keep up, and gamed over for other reasons. Myth because dawrves will anyway grab the next avaible bed, or still the thing to do for nobles?
* military and minimum numbers : again, I set it to n< number in squad, so it's useless? Or it's usefull so they train anyway but they'll not starve to death?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 03:34:40 am »

OMG this thread is hitting hard on newb like me who followed tuturials from 2 or 3 differents personns (DJFoguey why'd you stop?) and realize the thruth is somethere else :(
* assign beds : I was doing it, getting behind as migrants arrive, could not keep up, and gamed over for other reasons. Myth because dawrves will anyway grab the next avaible bed, or still the thing to do for nobles?
* military and minimum numbers : again, I set it to n< number in squad, so it's useless? Or it's usefull so they train anyway but they'll not starve to death?
Do the bed thing for nobles or they'll be really displeased.
The minimum number of dwarves training at one time does NOT stop them from eating or drinking.

And calm down.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 04:03:51 am »

calm down.

??? I'm not at all an english native, I'm not angry either  :)
If my turn of expression mislead you, please accept my apologies!
A follow up on trainning, so I get it right: setting a minimum does allow to launch the trainning, otherwise if orders are set to 10 without minimum, and squad depleted to 8, they won't go exercising themslves?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 04:11:47 am »

It was the capitalized "OMG" at the beginning that misled me but I was just kidding don't worry :D

About the training thing: If you have a squad made of 5 dwarves and if you set the training minimum to 10 dwarves, they will all train and they will eat, drink, sleep. So, to be clear, you will not come across any problems.

Use the minimum number for thing like this: If you have a squad of 5 dwarves and only want 2 of them to train at one given time, set the minimum to 2.

Hope I helped ^^

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 04:17:17 am »

Yes, it does help, because I understood it the other way round! I want all my dwarves in the squad to train!
 :-\ Now I see at least one good reason for being unprepared to gobelin invasion...

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 04:31:49 am »

Yes, it does help, because I understood it the other way round! I want all my dwarves in the squad to train!
 :-\ Now I see at least one good reason for being unprepared to gobelin invasion...

Traps would do wonders in a siege or ambush. Consider placing some in your entrance.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 05:34:32 am »

Like Quietust said, something is a myth only if it never existed. Some of the things mentioned here did exists but were fixed/changed at some point but the old information stuck around.

Here are few of such things I spotted in this thread:

• Setting minimum training number higher than dwarves in squad -thing: It was that way when the new military was introduced. For example, if you had six dwarves in squad and you had minimum number set to 10 you could see one dwarf arranging dodge demonstration and five dwarves waiting for the demonstration to begin, which never happened. It never forbade the dwarves to eat or drink, that was totally different bug. (A bug where dwarf, if it had enough jobs queued up, could work himself to death. Training was especially bad as it could last through the whole year without having a stop where dwarf would be able to eat or drink. It's already fixed.)
  • Underground farms require irrigation: Back in early version it was so. And it reappeared as a bug during DF 0.31.xx. So definitely no a myth.
  • Danger Room causes some !FUN!: Still happens. A child is basically dead if it's carried to danger room, same as any animal. Those can cause some heavy tantrum spirals. Also there are regular reports that somebody used spikes instead of training spears. Only training spears work.
  • Danger rooms aren't part of the game: Not officially, even Toady has admitted that something must be done to fix this exploit.
  • That thieves escape when brought out of a cage to another destination: I remember this happening and I think it was a bug. Basically a dwarf went to cage, took the prisoner out, became interrupted due dangerous creature nearby, the now free creature escaped.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 06:22:30 am »

For example, if you had six dwarves in squad and you had minimum number set to 10 you could see one dwarf arranging dodge demonstration and five dwarves waiting for the demonstration to begin, which never happened.
Actually, that part is a myth...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 06:43:56 am »

I always set my number training lower than the amount in a squad because it lets the ones not training be ready to quell anything in the statue garden and pick up new equipment etc without having to lose time they could have otherwise been training in.

Also, Lots of people think that dwarves always build from the left. This is FALSE, they build based around a grid that is imposed across the map, because I've seen them build from different directions before of their free will.

FAKEDIT: It didn't used to be. EDITOFFAKEDIT: Is what he was trying to say. I have no idea on how squad training works.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 06:56:17 am »

A low mineral scarcity reducing the presence of flux stone on a map should really be a myth as well. Minerals are placed after layer stones, so a low mineral scarcity has no effect on the placement of flux layers. The total amount of flux stone in a world may reduce as the presence of large clusters and veins in flux stone layers increases but this hardly has an in game effect. Not being able to find any flux stone at all is not an effect of a low mineral scarcity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6