Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: An adventurers' retirement community?  (Read 5345 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
An adventurers' retirement community?
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:36:33 pm »

I'm making a retirement community for adventurers who have had enough of life on the road and are ready to settle down. So far there is a luxury apartment building with spacious rooms for retirees and a museum hall for items of value to be proudly displayed. I also plan a swimming pool, of course. What else should I include?

I will use this area as a center for an adventurer mode succession game, so I want to make it nice. But I don't want to spend too long building it - it's getting tedious already even with with help of DFHack. Any suggestions? I will use DFHack to mark the fortress as a lair and then keep it active instead of abandoning it, so adventurers will be able to retire there.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An adventurers' retirement community?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:07:17 pm »

Fastdwarf should remove the tediousness :p

Let's see, apartments, swimming pool... Gym, cafeteria, boardwalk, rollercoaster? ;)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:59:00 pm »

Ah, I haven't upgraded from .07 yet. I started the project before the minecart update and the last time I updated my version in the middle of a game I got some really awful glitches that ruined the save. So I probably won't be making any roller coasters.

The tediousness is mostly from all the designating. Above-ground buildings take forever to designate!

Some sort of dining hall I can build for sure. I'm also thinking of some nice outdoor areas with chairs and tables for relaxing in the sun. What do you have in mind for the gym and boardwalk? Anyway I don't need to go crazy - adventurers won't really be spending time here, it'll mostly just be a destination - and of course certain qualifications will have to be met before one can earn admittance!

Conor5677

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:29:20 pm »

For a gym you can just put pumps. Doesn't have to be connected to any liquid. Dwarves are able to use them to gain strength. In adventure mode they can just be decorations.

As for a boardwalk, I suggest building the retirement home on a tropical beach. Then you can build a wooden boardwalk going along the beach, with entrances going down to the beach so people can swim and tan. You can also make bathhouses if you want.

Of course you don't have to do all this if you don't want to spend that much time. Just making suggestions :)

Also, maybe when you have it set up, do you think I can join the succession game? Sounds very fun  :D

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:56:29 pm »

Make a small room of shinies and cages. For goblin & Kobold adventuers.

If your doing the basic three-

A underground area for dwarves, away from all light. BOOZE LAND.

A tree-filled area with all kinds of animals for elves.

Humans get a room of gold.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:30 pm »

A training area where zombies are released at a push of a button?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:59:25 pm »

This is retirement, not boot-camp.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:01:12 pm »

Throw in a few cheese makers in case a vampire shows up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »

A training area where zombie kobolds are released at a push of a button?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:07 pm »

A training area where zombie kobolds are released at a push of a button?

Dawwwwwwwww is all I have to say to that mind-image.

Now I must murder you for that image.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:19:10 pm »

I invoke unconditional peace. Also, a waterfall / shower is mandatory. Possibly even a magma lamp.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 11:33:36 pm »

It needs a massive labarynth operated by levers inside of it.  You need to travel through and pull the correct combinations of levers in the correct order to get to the Candy containment room (CCR).
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 08:27:04 am »

I think I'm going to say no to all combat-oriented ideas. This is a retirement center, for rest and relaxation. I don't need to entertain adventure mode players, just give them a nice destination after they've completed their trials. I'll have to add in a hospital I guess for general upkeep of all those old wounds. Some of the dwarfs from the construction crew will have to stay as doctors - is there any way to directly hack the skills of each dwarf? I don't see a way in DFHack. I want to just finish this retirement center as quickly as possible, then hack each of my dwarf workers to have the skills I want and leave them there to cater to the retirees. A doctor and a couple of nurses, a cook and a brewer, etc. - all with legendary skills (which I don't want to have to build up manually, especially the doctor). I'll also make a few legendary soldiers which I can then take on adventures to be the first retirees.

By the way, the center is located in a fortress with serene surroundings. There is sand for glass and an aquifer, chosen so I could easily make the swimming pool. So a waterfall will be possible, but I have almost no experience with water projects. I'm not even sure I've ever used pumps for anything. Can someone provide me with (or link me to) a quick guide on using an aquifer to create a waterfall area without flooding everything? Just have it drain into the caverns? Will my dwarfs work underwater (in the aquifer itself) if I mod the raws so they don't need to breathe? That would speed things up a bit. If it's too complicated I won't bother though. I'd really rather get to the succession game than spend a lot of time making fancy additions to an area that won't really be used.

So far I have the humans' apartment building done but unfurnished and have mostly finished the gallery, and I'm finishing up the swimming pool area (with some tables and such around) and definitely planning a small wooden apartment building for elves and an underground area for dwarfs. Anything else I really need? Or maybe I'll just leave it at that.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:15 am »

Ya they filled in my ideas pretty well :p boardwalk could also be on a river, I guess :p

Also, dwarves won't path underwater, even if they don't have to breathe.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:59:45 am »

A moat filled with (mostly) harmless wildlife.

Don't want companions ruining the adventurer retirement party now, do we?

That'll teach that young whippersnapper to steal MY megabeast kill... dick.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: [1] 2 3