Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: An adventurers' retirement community?  (Read 5340 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: An adventurers' retirement community?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:43:43 am »

I'm making a retirement community for adventurers who have had enough of life on the road and are ready to settle down. So far there is a luxury apartment building with spacious rooms for retirees and a museum hall for items of value to be proudly displayed. I also plan a swimming pool, of course. What else should I include?

I will use this area as a center for an adventurer mode succession game, so I want to make it nice. But I don't want to spend too long building it - it's getting tedious already even with with help of DFHack. Any suggestions? I will use DFHack to mark the fortress as a lair and then keep it active instead of abandoning it, so adventurers will be able to retire there.

Find a tower and steal all it's books and their slabs. a single necro slab counts as an artifact in fort mode.
Also You could use dfusion to successfully play any one and retire so you can start your retirement home from the starting 7(or 10 if you have pets).
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 09:01:33 am »

A training area where zombies are released at a push of a button?

This is retirement, not boot-camp.

A training area where zombie kobolds are released at a push of a button?

Nah, a area where kobolds are dropped from 20 z-levels at the push of a button.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 12:45:57 pm »

What about an enclosed arena in which megabeasts and the like fight each other for the amusement of the residents?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

spudcosmic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 08:00:57 pm »

What about an enclosed arena in which megabeasts and the like fight each other for the amusement of the residents?

I would enjoy a push-button kobold genocide machine much more, and it's be much easier to set up. Just lure the little buggers with a shiny object and bam! Hours of endless enjoyment.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 08:21:13 pm »

See if you can catch and tame dragons, hydras, rocs, and other Fun critters!

Drop any captured thieves or siegers, as well as "use-impaired" wild animals and maybe dwarves, into a big pit. Make the pit full of bones into some kind of "reminiscing hall," where adventurers can swap tales. You might want to forbid the bodies once they drop, unless you WANT the dwarves to take the ambiance out of the hall.

Make a hall including all of the artifact weapons and armor, as well as neat artifacts. Put the bedrooms for adventurers somewhere nearby (near enough to sleep-walk).

Put a baracks for new militia near the adventurers' area, so that the retirees can laugh at the foolish green people. Maybe also install a childrens' dormitory or something nearby, to inspire them to try and grow up to be heroes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 12:31:19 am »

I think maybe you guys missed the fact that this is designed for Adventurers. I will build a nice *relaxing* retirement home, then start an adventurer mode succession game with this place as the final destination (using DFHack to keep the fortress active so we can retire there). Not much time will be spent here, I will not go back into dwarf mode after it's finished, and there's no way I'm going to spend all this time capturing megabeasts and taming dragons - especially since when you visit a fortress as an adventurer, all the animals are always dead.

I'm keeping it simple, getting close to completion already. Just need to add furniture and maybe build a wooden tower for elf adventurers. It's just so tedious building above-ground structures with multiple levels, getting the corner walls built first, constructing and deconstructing floors just for that purpose, etc. Anyway when it's done I'll start a post in the community games forum for a succession game, and link to it from here.

If any of you guys want to do any of this other stuff, that's totally up to you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 04:28:12 am »

Relaxing for adventurers? I don't think I've ever actually retired an adventurer who was fit enough to still fight MBs and live to tell about it.

Though in saying that, relaxing does make sense when I consider that all my retired adventurers were/are missing limbs and have massive nerve damage.

Yeah, relaxing sounds good. Carry on.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 04:50:26 pm »

Could you tell us what it would look like from an adventurer's point of view when it's done?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 08:10:38 am »

I've gotten this to a point where I consider it done. I just can't bear to look anymore and I want to just start the succession game and play. Here's a general summary of the layout.

Spoiler: Graphical Tour (click to show/hide)

So now I need to decide the rules for the succession game. The retirement community is not easy to get to. There's a big major river to the north of the fortress that spans pretty far east and west that makes getting to the place tough if you don't start nearby. So even an experienced adventurer might fall on their way there. It's located in joyous wilds near the elves. However, using test runs on a backup copy of the world, I've found that a newbie adventurer can reach it in two days if you start in the right place and move carefully. The retirement community will be the final destination for each player, but not just anyone should be allowed to retire there. I've been considering some possible requirements before on would be allowed in. I'm interested in input, since I'm sure a few of you guys will join the game.

1. Have a certain number of notable kills. 50? 100? Only problem with this one is that with too many players, it could get really tough to find enough notable things to kill.
2. Be legendary in a certain number of non-combat skills. (How many?) This one might be a bit too easy to just grind though.
3. "Discover" a new location - explore an abandoned fortress, uncover a lair, sneak into a necromancer tower, etc. Anything that hasn't already been explored by a previous adventurer is fair game.
4. Have a title.
5. Must have obtained something of significance to contribute to the exhibition hall.

I'm thinking 4 and 5 are absolutely necessary, and maybe a choice between 1/2/3? Or maybe two of 1/2/3 plus 4 and 5?

Anyway, once the conditions are met, the adventurer must make their way to the retirement center, place their items on display, claim a room to drop all their stuff, and retire there. DFHack has been used to keep the fortress active so we can actually retire there.

Thoughts? I'll do one or two test runs on a spare save to see how it works.

As for actual turn rules, I'm thinking standard 1 week, and after the adventurer run, the player has a choice of building a fortress with their remaining time, same as the rules for the Museum adventurer succession game. Have to be fairly strict with the time limit though, to avoid the long waiting currently going on with the Museum.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 09:07:35 am »

(using DFHack to keep the fortress active so we can retire there).
How is this possible?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:38 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81738.0

Follow steps 1-7. Basically mark a dwarf as an adventurer then switch mode to adventure (which instantly messes up the screen) and select retire from the ESC menu. Then you're free to play normal adventurer mode games and when you reach the fortress, it'll still be active (not abandoned), you can talk to the dwarfs normally (none of this "speak to me when I return to my homeland" nonsense) and even recruit soldiers, and you can retire there.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 04:43:42 am »

Hm... I think I may have made a small mistake in choosing this world for this game. I fear it may be too young. With my test adventurer I exhausted the closest civilization for quests pretty quickly. Looking at the map, there's not nearly as many settlements as I'd like. And yet most of the lairs I've explored contain dead giant lions and tigers. Maybe it's just the southern (hot) region that's like this... Anyway I put too much work into the retirement center (simple though it may appear) to abandon this, so I'll start the succession game soon with my test character as the first turn. But lesson learned for the future! Instead of just looking for worlds with a suitable location for the retirement center, I should be looking for good worlds to adventure in....

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 06:08:50 am »

There a minecart course or do I need to wait for that to be properly installed?
"body swapping and YOU!"

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 06:49:42 am »

I started this on .07 so there's no minecarts. If anyone wants to update the game to the latest version on their turn they may, but I'm not going to the trouble, since the retirement home is complete and there doesn't seem to be much of any change to adventurer mode between versions. In any case, as I've said before, it's not expected the adventurers will really do anything at the retirement center - it'll just be the final destination. Once you get there, you move into your room, put your interesting items on display, and then retire.

I just discovered a labyrinth after traveling a ways, then the game crashed and I lost about 2 hours worth of play time. I think I'll take a short break now for an hour or so, then go back and write a story bringing this test character to the retirement community and get the succession game started. In any case, it seems there is enough of interest left in the world to keep the game interesting, as long as people are willing to travel a bit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 07:14:33 am »

Well then if the site pretty good I think I can Russel up some mayhem hell install some books for others to read.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3