Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: food prodution on non natural grounds?  (Read 4096 times)

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
food prodution on non natural grounds?
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:35:19 am »

my next project is a bland huge pillar with a platform on it where to build my fortress, the probles is that i have no idea how to produce food up there over stone floors

of course i can just have farms on ground level but that way i will always have dwarves running up and down the pillar (i want everyone up in the sky just i case i want to pull the lever to collapse everything in the ground)

i was thinking of importing MANY dogs and/or turkeys and have a lot of butchering going on but it doesn't cover booze and i don't think trading will be enough to sustain everyone (i need many people to dig and build)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: food prodution on non natural grounds?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:39:53 am »

bring water up there, and flood the area. It will allow you to farm.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 04:41:20 am »

up there it will be all rock/wood constructed floors, i don't think it will work

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:43:31 am »

It will. I've done it... I think. I'll have to check, but I know it lets you make the farms. Will have to double check if I have crops growing there, it was a while ago.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:57:50 am »

If all else fails, pump up magma and cast obsidian, that's natural floor.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 06:30:00 am »

There was some ‼SCIENCE‼ done back in 2010 with farming on constructed floors, but those were undergroudn crops.  Presumably anything constructed above ground will need to grow outdoor crops, which will be dependent on biome.

Unless constructing a roof first works?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:55:56 am »

No, constructing a roof will not let you grow underground crops.

Once the sun has touched a tile, it washes away the magic needed for the underground crops to grow, and it can never come back.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:05:20 am »

Once the sun has touched a tile, it washes away the magic needed for the underground crops to grow, and it can never come back.
What if you construct a roof, then construct the floor afterwards?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

toasteur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:19:26 am »

What if you construct a roof, then construct the floor afterwards?

nope. subterrean crop only grow on a tile marked as "interior" as soon as a tile sees the sun, it's marked "outside" and can never revert. so a tile initialized as outside will never be able to grow "dwarven" crop.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 07:23:35 am »

That said, it's easy as hell to get seeds for outdoor crops.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 07:30:38 am »

well i don't care much about what they eat, as long i can grow stuff up there is ok, also overground plants lead to more variety of booze

looking at that thread apparently building farming plots on muddies floors is possible so i'll give a try

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 07:32:47 am »

Obsidian seems like the the only choice we have. The big question is if you can cast it over the constructed floor and have it turn that floor into farmable ground.

toasteur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 07:40:10 am »

Obsidian seems like the the only choice we have. The big question is if you can cast it over the constructed floor and have it turn that floor into farmable ground.

you should be able to "store" magma on top of a floor and then cast obsidian by throwing water on it. after that, bring more water on top of the obsidian should make some mud when the water is dissipated, and then you can build working farms on it. since you have to bring water to the magma in the first phase, putting some on the new obsidian floor should be easy enough.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 07:47:24 am »

Bees. Lots and lots of bees.

And turkeys for eggs.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 07:51:39 am »

What if u cast multiple layers of obsidian and mine out the center?
Pages: [1] 2