Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Next On The Dev List!  (Read 5578 times)

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Next On The Dev List!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »

I did, but that doesn't mean we should be less sad that the bug fixing cycle is over.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Peacemaker636

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 04:24:13 pm »

While I know everyone likes to get new and shiny things to play with more often, sometimes it doesn't make sense.  For example, this next release will require synchronizing many different parts, so it certainly would not be useful to do a release before a certain amount of the features are tied together.  Would you really care to get a release in which entities claim things but do nothing with them?

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 04:33:55 pm »

There are several things that do nothing, so I don't see how that would hurt. But is Toady releases stuff frequently the community can test these new features and report problems and give feedback earlier. This allows toady to tweak mechanics earlier and make them more fun/interesting before building stuff on top of them.

On the other hand a release after several months may make more financial sense (judging by the 0.34.01 release).
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »

Did y'all not read last week's Bay 12 Report?
Quote from: Toady One
I plan to fix some more bugs before starting in on this.

I figured he was talking about the 34.11 release that happened on June 4th.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »

First sentence of his post put shivers up my spine. "It's time to activate the world now" I'm very excited that we'll finally start seeing some persistence, it'll add so much to the experience.  :o

I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 06:02:06 pm »

The blurb on the main page was gripping. Really looking forward to this. Especially if things like bands of brigands try harassing a fledgling fort in its early years or powerful people within entities possibly stirring things up in fortress mode. This update has such potential! I don't care how long it takes.

I found it gripping as well. I'm quite excited. This could be easily completed in pieces, with the world not unlocked until everything is in place. We'll see how Toady goes about things, though.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 06:14:01 pm »

Yes. I want this. This is wonderful!

I am going to make the entire world scared of kobolds by murdering criminals.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 06:32:58 pm »

This will be awesome. I am so ready for some fort interaction beyond "a vile force of darkness", Even if it is "a group of bandits are attacking". And the political system he's thinking up sounds fun.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:27:01 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 05:41:19 pm »

I'd rather see him make the game as it stands now work instead of wasting time on adventure mode. This is likely to do nothing more than add more simulation (and thus slow down processing) of stuff that the player will never see.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 06:05:18 pm »

I'd rather see him make the game as it stands now work instead of wasting time on adventure mode. This is likely to do nothing more than add more simulation (and thus slow down processing) of stuff that the player will never see.

Because the ultimate goal is that Adventure mode and Fortress mode will interact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 06:20:24 pm »

Speak for yourself. Your choice to not play adventure mode =/= "stuff the player will never see."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 09:49:42 pm »

Right, exactly...I suspect that in Version 1.0, you won't choose to start a Fortress game as a separate thing from an adventurer game. Somehow, in some way, you'll just start a game.

If I may be allowed to raise a possibility for how this will occur, I would propose that one would start out as a dwarf in the Mountainhomes, and either set off on your own into the wild blue yonder, or try and raise supplies and volunteers for whatever crazy project you might have going (which might or might not be a fortress); so you could just leave the Mountainhome gates, OR you could go to the appropriate official and say "hey, I'd like 6 random ne'er-do-wells, some food, booze, and anvil and a pick and I'd like to settle here", or you could go to the appropriate official and say "hey, I'd like to borrow 5 of your best steel-clad soldiers to go attack that necromancer tower that raised those yaks two months ago." The "dorfing" system in succession games will finally be implemented, as you can switch in Fort "mode" between taking command of the expedition leader and designating things as God, and you can raise a family in a fort you can start from scratch. Two decades later, the once-turbulent outpost is a mighty tower, impervious to all would-be invaders, but your son has a hankering to bring glory to dwarfkind...and you can take command of your first dwarf's son and, I don't know, wander around drinking and partying and whoring in elven red-light districts.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 11:26:17 pm »

I figured he was talking about the 34.11 release that happened on June 4th.

Looks like you're right.  Too bad.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 11:30:11 pm »

Right, exactly...I suspect that in Version 1.0, you won't choose to start a Fortress game as a separate thing from an adventurer game. Somehow, in some way, you'll just start a game.

If I may be allowed to raise a possibility for how this will occur, I would propose that one would start out as a dwarf in the Mountainhomes, and either set off on your own into the wild blue yonder, or try and raise supplies and volunteers for whatever crazy project you might have going (which might or might not be a fortress); so you could just leave the Mountainhome gates, OR you could go to the appropriate official and say "hey, I'd like 6 random ne'er-do-wells, some food, booze, and anvil and a pick and I'd like to settle here", or you could go to the appropriate official and say "hey, I'd like to borrow 5 of your best steel-clad soldiers to go attack that necromancer tower that raised those yaks two months ago." The "dorfing" system in succession games will finally be implemented, as you can switch in Fort "mode" between taking command of the expedition leader and designating things as God, and you can raise a family in a fort you can start from scratch. Two decades later, the once-turbulent outpost is a mighty tower, impervious to all would-be invaders, but your son has a hankering to bring glory to dwarfkind...and you can take command of your first dwarf's son and, I don't know, wander around drinking and partying and whoring in elven red-light districts.

Armok no. I like being able to do fort-mode without 70 hours of stealing and buying.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 11:10:48 am »

But that's a lot more realistic...ah well.

What I'd really like to see is for capitalism of some sort to be implemented. What I don't know is how on earth that could possibly work in DF.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3