Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF?

Bug #535: Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic [34.11 save for subbug 1445]
Bug #1582: Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors and #94: Injured dwarves not recovered
Bug #5312: Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever)
Bug #2712: weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment - results in miners/woodcutters/hunters unable to work and/or wear their military uniforms [34.11 save]
Bug #2922: Population Cap not working
Bug #412: Nobles job priority is weird (trading, diagnose, talking with liaison and attend meeting jobs have extremely low priority) [34.11 save]
Bug #5097:  Names overwriting text with TrueType
Bug #296: Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
Bug #2780: Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)
Bug #5611: Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale.
Bug #425: Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
Bug #4299: Some events can't be zoomed to (from announcements menu) even though they have a definite location
Bug #3190: Long Patrol Negative Thoughts seem to escalate, even with long break. [binary patch in bugreport]
Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands  [34.05 save]
Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
Bug #136 When embarking on large area, DF hits 2GB memory limit and crashes
Bug #3981: Dwarf with "Installing Colony in Hive" Job stuck in middle of nowhere.
Bug #1346: Adamantine thread used for suturing.
Bug #33: Bronze colossus, skeletal creatures, fleshballs, and others are impossible to kill
Bug #3898: Entire Bone Stacks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
Bug #2327: Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable
Bug #4590: Unarmored creatures give in to pain too easily - Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling
Bug #5106: Slain bandits/companions respawn/duplicate in their original location
Bugs #287 & #3147: Medical Dwarfs prefer using non-hospital stockpiles than hospital stocks
[NEW!] Bug #4380 Stockpile options don't work for cloth
Bug #4430: Large gems not moved to stockpile
Bug #3685: Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
Bug #3015: Invader/sieger mounts flee combat, preventing their riders from fighting (worse with [FLIER] tag)
Bug #4550: Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
[NEW!] Bug #5994: Destroying a wall empties the wood stockpile.
[NEW!] Bug #5991: Dwarf tries to build wall standing on the construction site
[NEW!] Bugs #3221 and #600 - hauling ignores burrows
[NEW!] Bug #4530: Marksdwarves won't use training bolts unless combat bolts all used up [34.10 save]
[NEW!] Bug #5895: Bins, bags used for hauling in situations when it is not necessary
[NEW!] Bug #5986: Designating large areas for smoothing slows game to a crawl [34.10 save]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The worst bug - 34.11 poll  (Read 46165 times)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - 34.11 poll
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:28 pm »

Bad news, guys, bugfix streak (classic "I will replace some buggy mechanic with new feature, of course with plethora of new bugs" included for more fun) ended.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 01:15:15 pm »

Toady fixed multiple long-standing problems without introducing new ones (OK, hauling is bugged more than ever but minecarts were not supposed to be bugfix).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 01:21:50 pm »

Toady fixed multiple long-standing problems without introducing new ones (OK, hauling is bugged more than ever but minecarts were not supposed to be bugfix).

This is a bit off-topic, but as someone still using 34.07, do you mind if I ask what particular ways hauling is bugged in the new release that may make me want to hold off on updating?

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 01:24:31 pm »

This is a bit off-topic, but as someone still using 34.07, do you mind if I ask what particular ways hauling is bugged in the new release that may make me want to hold off on updating?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5895 (listed on poll as "[NEW!] Bug #5895: Bins, bags used for hauling in situations when it is not necessary"): "Same goes for fisherdwarves. They catch a fish, go get a barrel, put the fish in, go get a wheelbarrel, get the barrel, and take it to the stockpile. "
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:29 pm »

You skipped my post:
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers)

should have included in its description that it causes Miners/Woodcutters/Hunters to never wear their military armor while civilian.
This is imho much worse consequence of this bug than the fact that they use two separate axes or picks.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 02:15:49 pm »

You skipped my post:
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers)

should have included in its description that it causes Miners/Woodcutters/Hunters to never wear their military armor while civilian.
This is imho much worse consequence of this bug than the fact that they use two separate axes or picks.

Changed to (I hope better) "Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment - results in miners/woodcutters/hunters unable to work and/or wear their military uniforms"

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 02:29:13 pm »

Thank you :)

By the way I think that
Bug #535: Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
is not really something we can expect to be fixed simply because it is too general. In Bug Tracker it functions as a central place where every military or equipment related bug is linked to, rather than as a normal bug report describing specific buggy game behavior. Here it also functions as a "if there is something something wrong with the military vote here" vote option and people vote this, instead of voting something more specific and informative, that could actually bring Toady attention and become fixed.
So what do you think about this?
It explodes in gore!

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 02:32:36 pm »

By the way I think that
is not really something we can expect to be fixed simply because it is too general. In Bug Tracker it functions as a central place where every military or equipment related bug is linked to, rather than as a normal bug report describing specific buggy game behavior. Here it also functions as a "if there is something something wrong with the military vote here" vote option and people vote this, instead of voting something more specific and informative, that could actually bring Toady attention and become fixed.

I'm not sure exactly what this vote option was referring to, but perhaps "Recurring job cancellations due to 'Equipment Mismatch' in the military"? 

Or is it more, "Soldiers often only partially equip their uniform, even when the appropiate equipment is unclaimed in a stockpile, and often choose very inappropriate times to pick up the rest of their uniform." (Often I see my soldiers wearing only bits and pieces of their uniform despite having the armor available, and when I issue a move command because a sige is coming, everybody runs off to put on leather leggings instead of going to the front gate.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:35:06 pm by Xen0n »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 02:38:59 pm »

hello, how do i binary patch?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 02:46:23 pm »

I'm not sure exactly what this vote option was referring to, but perhaps "Recurring job cancellations due to 'Equipment Mismatch' in the military"? 

Or is it more, "Soldiers often only partially equip their uniform, even when the appropiate equipment is unclaimed in a stockpile, and often choose very inappropriate times to pick up the rest of their uniform." (Often I see my soldiers wearing only bits and pieces of their uniform despite having the armor available, and when I issue a move command because a sige is coming, everybody runs off to put on leather leggings instead of going to the front gate.)

I think this stuff was mostly fixed in 0.34.11, but haven't made fort yet so I can't tell for sure.
According to devlog / release notes:
(*) Made dwarves equip items based on clothing layering order (there can still be conflicts if some items are already worn)
Also bug #4932 got fixed which was the main cause of dwarves not picking up armor properly.
It explodes in gore!

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 02:50:00 pm »

I think this stuff was mostly fixed in 0.34.11, but haven't made fort yet so I can't tell for sure.
According to devlog / release notes:
(*) Made dwarves equip items based on clothing layering order (there can still be conflicts if some items are already worn)
Also bug #4932 got fixed which was the main cause of dwarves not picking up armor properly.

Oh yeah, that one got fixed.  I'm talking about when they actually can wear the armor (eventually), they just take their sweet time about it, unless you issue a move command, when suddenly it becomes more important than defending the fortress.  I try to regularly issue move commands for my soldiers to the armory bins in the hopes that they stay more or less up to date on their uniforms, but inevitably with every siege when I issuea move command to the fron gates (because patrol / defend burrow alert are really buggy and unreliable for me), about a quarter of the military suddenly gets the "Pickup Equipment" Job.

hello, how do i binary patch?

I'm actually not sure myself.  Perhaps in the modding forum someone would know?  Sorry  :-\
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:51:34 pm by Xen0n »

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 02:38:57 am »

By the way I think that
It is tracker bug of multiple small ones. Replacing it with 20 individual bugs seems to be a poor idea.

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 06:59:07 am »

I checked bugs and most of them are without saves. To help fix your most irritating bug you may

* create save where this bug will happen (saves where bug happened are usually not useful)
* save
* upload save to http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php
* post save on bugtracker (my post: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451#c22906 )
* post here to add to poll information that there is available save compatible with current version (optional)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 07:48:45 am »

It is tracker bug of multiple small ones. Replacing it with 20 individual bugs seems to be a poor idea.
Actually, if those 20 individual bugs are distinct enough, then they arguably should be separate entries so they can be tracked properly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 12:56:59 pm »

535 could be split up into a few major bugs:

There's 756, 1302, 1445, and 4504 which are concerned with the problem of hauling equipment that isn't worn.

1375 deals with ammo issues.

2761 - With "Replace clothing" turned off, soldier tries to equip breastplate, freezes because he's wearing too much

1986: Military Units strip from their uniforms when given orders to kill.

2687: Constant "pickup equipment" cripples military functionality

The rest IMO are relatively minor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6