Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Most unexpectedly deadly animal encounter.  (Read 13913 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Most unexpectedly deadly animal encounter.
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 12:56:05 pm »

Yaks, oh, GOD. I sent my fledgling military to train off of a small yak herd. one got enraged. Then *gores the recruit in the upperbody, tearing the lungs!"x10. I was shocked, and I kept the hell away from those bastards.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:04:46 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 12:57:16 pm »

Rabbits.

I know, I know... but when you fight them on the edge of a cliff and three dwarves dodge to their deaths, they're pretty darn deadly.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »

Rabbits.

I know, I know... but when you fight them on the edge of a cliff and three dwarves dodge to their deaths, they're pretty darn deadly.
Four crundles killed half my army by being smart enough not to dive off of the narrow walkway.

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:10 pm »

I was playing a new adventurer and I saw a camel.  I was low on meat so I tried to kill it. Never again!  That camel beat me to death, my poor new adventurer didn't stand a chance, couldn't even run thanks to a few well placed kicks.  I now hate camels. :-[
Giant Keas are also a big pain, took a quickly thrown together squad several in-game days to beat one to death because it kept dodging, yet it never moved, freaky birds.
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2012, 03:18:43 pm »

The-th-the badgers....... the Badgers..... they.... they came....... they were evrywere..... the-they....

THEY WERE COMING OUTTA THE DAMN WALLS.... I couldent avoid them. They were everywere..... it was.... i..... its too painful to talk about....
^
 l
My first fort ;p
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2012, 03:28:00 pm »

Playing as a cutebold adventurer, felt of a very high waterfall (10Zs I believe.) just to on top of a sturgeon wich proceeded to bite my leg off.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2012, 04:14:49 pm »

Yes, that is a kiwi. A small group of them killed 12 of my dwarfs. They are really, really, good at breaking skulls!

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2012, 04:32:11 pm »

Yes, that is a kiwi. A small group of them killed 12 of my dwarfs. They are really, really, good at breaking skulls!

It's the beaks. They leap at a Dwarve's head and pierce it. Living darts. I can also imagine them jumping all over a dwarve's head and attacking from above... ... I think I shall start embarking in deadlands from now on.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2012, 08:44:20 pm »

I just love how insanely agressive every damn animal in existance is against dwarves, it's almost like armok really has some kind of grudge against them.
Actually this thread is making me rethink my next fort, i was considering turning off invasions but was kinda on the wall as it's sorta cheating.
But i've once again been reminded how lethal even the tiniest wildlife is, so an aboveground fort with no invasions should still be lots of fum. Thx ARMOK!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:01 pm »

I just love how insanely agressive every damn animal in existance is against dwarves, it's almost like armok really has some kind of grudge against them.
Actually this thread is making me rethink my next fort, i was considering turning off invasions but was kinda on the wall as it's sorta cheating.
But i've once again been reminded how lethal even the tiniest wildlife is, so an aboveground fort with no invasions should still be lots of fum. Thx ARMOK!
You gotta go full village. A wall ruins about 50% of the wildlife fun the other 50% has wings and wants your things.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:18 pm »

Above ground forts are the best kind of forts.

If micromanaging extravagant building constructions wont kill you the extremely hostile wildlife will.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2012, 09:19:24 pm »

Well yeah, i was planning a rediculous aboveground megaconstruction, and was waiting untill minecarts had the wrinkles ironed out, things seem to have hit a stability plateau so i'll probably start soon.
And yeah without invasions walls are pretty pointless anyway, i have a tendency with aboveground forts to create hedgerows for my livestock and farms by designating tree cutting and bush gathering in squares leaving a 15x15 edge. While it leaves a visual wall only the trees actually inhibit unit movement, i like to think of it as a fence that stops the cattle from moving out of the area (cows aren't psychic so of course they won't just stay in a designated area by themself, why would they?)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:13 pm »

It's the beaks. They leap at a Dwarve's head and pierce it. Living darts. I can also imagine them jumping all over a dwarve's head and attacking from above... ... I think I shall start embarking in deadlands from now on.

Yeah, there is some justifaction for having broken eyes if you get pecked by one of those adorable sins against dwarvendom.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2012, 12:24:13 am »

horseshoe crab. nothing special about it becuase i modded out most of the giant creatures and all of the humanoid variants. just an ordinary horseshoe crab. pushed the skulls and tore the brains of 3 skilled fighters equipped with copper/iron and two hunters that had gone after it and got too close.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2012, 12:34:03 am »

Playing as a cutebold adventurer, felt of a very high waterfall (10Zs I believe.) just to on top of a sturgeon wich proceeded to bite my leg off.

Why am I the only one that can survive as a kobold?

60 crundles, 20 soldiers. Will the military stop the invasion of flesh eating demons?

Nope, they killed everyone. Noone was spared.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6