Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Most unexpectedly deadly animal encounter.  (Read 13926 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Most unexpectedly deadly animal encounter.
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »

Giant Keas. Above ground fort with an above ground warehouse and an artifact bone shoe that they were willing to die for. More than seven dwarves died in two seasons trying to fight them off. One poor bastard had both of his arms crippled, his baby eaten, and his wifes face torn off in such a way that she slowly bled to death in the hospital. It was all out war.

Madurjafro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 03:44:08 pm »

Giant pandas.

I thought I was gonna send out my 5 guys to get a little training. I was wrong.
While it didn't take out my entire militia, one thing that surprised me is it took out one soldier in no time at all and injured a couple more. It tore out the throat of one of them. TWICE. And then just swiped at a few more before They stabbed it enough times to kill it.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »

Giant pandas.

I thought I was gonna send out my 5 guys to get a little training. I was wrong.
While it didn't take out my entire militia, one thing that surprised me is it took out one soldier in no time at all and injured a couple more. It tore out the throat of one of them. TWICE. And then just swiped at a few more before They stabbed it enough times to kill it.

They're not as cuddly as they look.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 04:33:56 pm »

I encountered a serpent man in adventure that was a lycanthrope and once a full moon, he turned into... a giant koala. He devoured several trolls, and various types of livestock. Did not see him in action, but when I try to imagine a koala devouring a troll, I find it mildly disturbing.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 07:36:43 pm »

Koalas are another animal that's not as cuddly as it looks. They have nasty sharp pointy claws, and their teeth aren't exactly fuzzy either.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 08:16:46 pm »

I also had a character in adventure mode die to a rabbit.
May I offer you one of these?:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 08:32:27 pm »

My fort fell to a bunch of glowfrogs. I dunno how, they managed to murder everyone with sheer numbers.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 08:35:41 pm »

note to self: in DF, NEVER fuck with anything in the bear family.

I sent my military against a panda.

one guy lost an arm, another had an artery in his neck severed, and the panda CHASED on of my dwarves as he ran to the fort, resulting in a civilian casualty of one missing arm, two missing legs, and he promptly bled to death.

then the panda wandered off, with nary a scratch, to sing about the glorious day in which nature got it's own back.

That wasnt a panda, that was a elven commando in disguise.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 08:48:29 pm »

note to self: in DF, NEVER fuck with anything in the bear family.

I sent my military against a panda.

one guy lost an arm, another had an artery in his neck severed, and the panda CHASED on of my dwarves as he ran to the fort, resulting in a civilian casualty of one missing arm, two missing legs, and he promptly bled to death.

then the panda wandered off, with nary a scratch, to sing about the glorious day in which nature got it's own back.
That wasnt a panda, that was a elven commando in disguise.
Tell me the thing didn't have Jack Black's voice.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 11:17:55 pm »

"Giant Horse?"

As soon as my comrades assert themselves as the master race, I'm sure you'll be subjected to the worst torture of giraffedom... drinking from a small cup on the ground.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:19:51 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 11:46:19 pm »

This may be in adv. mode, but I remember somewhere reading about a duck killing an entire adventuring party. Also, OH GOD THE GIANT CAPYBARAS. 'The severed leg sails off in an arc!'
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 01:08:52 am »

*reads the Wiki entry*  Ah, they were feeding on the fatty backs of my Dwarves.  I understand now.   :D  Truly, I thought the real bird was somewhat smaller than it is.  I'm not sure where I got that idea.  It's about three times as large as I thought.  A giant one is probably the size of a person.

Yeah, and look at that BEAK!!

It looks like it's meant for ripping out eyeballs. A giant one could probably rip out your bowels in one peck.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 02:45:17 am »

Yeah, and look at that BEAK!!

It looks like it's meant for ripping out eyeballs. A giant one could probably rip out your bowels in one peck.

"So, here's how it's gonna go down. Yous give me the shiny things, and I let you keep your organs. Capiche?"

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 02:50:02 am »

That beak is NASTY.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 08:52:03 am »

Zombie Camels.
ARRGH the humanity!
Edit: Keas were just annoying to me, stealing all my shit, and giant crows and peachfaces were very annoying untill i got my watch towers up and running.... *see my signature*
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:54:11 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6