Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tropical shrubland  (Read 1120 times)

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tropical shrubland
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:19:44 pm »

I want to gen a world that is mostly tropical shrubland. I am trying to tweak the temperature and rainfall settings to make it happen, but I never seem to quite get it right. Could someone more familiar with the world gen settings show the best parameters for getting lots of tropical shrubland?

Thanks so much. I am trying to get a fort in just the right place, and have been going through dozens of worlds looking for the embark spot I want...

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: tropical shrubland
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:24:26 pm »

And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:22:28 pm »

I was able to get massive amounts of shrubland but you only get one little band of tropical shrubland at the top or bottom of the map, no matter what temperature settings are used. I had one map completely covered in scorching temperatures, and it was mostly "temperate" shrubland for some reason.

Also, with only shrubland on the map, I didn't get any elves or humans because they need forest and grassland respectively, but I did get epic amounts of goblins - just make sure you have enough evil squares on the map.

Rainfall : 41 to 49. Variance of 1 for x and y.
Temperature 71 to 79. Variance of 1 for x and y.
Drainage 81 to 89. Variance of 1 for x and y.

I will take a look at PerfectWorldDF, maybe that will help me out. Thanks!

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:29:52 pm »

Really? Have you tried raising the minimum temperature? I seem to be getting loads of tropical zones myself with minimum 55 degrees urist. Keep in mind it might have more to do with the rainfall, because I've seen a lot of temperate tropical zones.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:33:31 pm by caddybear »
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:41:13 pm »

Yeah I figured rainfall might be a major factor in making an area tropical, but if I increase the rainfall any further it replaces shrubland with forest. I will try again, this time increasing rainfall and putting drainage at maximum, maybe it wont spawn as much forest if the land won't hold water?

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »

I set rainfall to min 65, max 65, 0 variance for x and y. Then I set drainage to min 100, max 100, 0 variance for x and y.

If I increase ranfall by even 1 point more, it starts replacing shrubland with forests. I still get a band of tropical shrubland at either the north or south edge of the map, but most of it is temperate.

I will have to see if setting rainfall higher allows tropical shrubland at the center of the map, but I think I will just get piles of forest everywhere and no shrubland.  >:(

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:44:03 am »

Ok here try this worldgen I made in perfectworld, the middle area should have lots of tropical zones, shrublands, forests, marshes; most of it warm. Sadly it's too long to post here.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6435

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 01:12:48 pm »

I tried PerfectWorldDF but after filling out all the parameters to match what I have in DF, I am getting completely different maps generated than what I see in DF. I don't really like the UI either.

Thanks for your help, but I think I will stick with using the vanilla map generator in DF.