Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My civ has no anvils at all?  (Read 1171 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My civ has no anvils at all?
« on: June 05, 2012, 07:47:05 pm »

I found an awesome spot to embark on, but during embarkation I've realized that my civ (I made a pocket world, and have just one civ) doesn't have any anvils at all.
Does that mean I'll never be able to make anvils in the game?
Feeling down? Click Here!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My civ has no anvils at all?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:36 pm »

Are you sure it's not just a problem of having no iron, and not being able to afford the 300 embark points for a steel anvil, therefore not seeing it on offer?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:28 pm »

If you don't have an anvil you can't really make an anvil. You might be able to buy one from the human civ by chance but it might be rare.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:55:15 pm »

Yeah you were right, I needed 300 points for the steel anvil.
Is there any other impact of my civ not having iron, other than embark items I mean?
Feeling down? Click Here!

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:57:37 pm »

Are you sure it's not just a problem of having no iron, and not being able to afford the 300 embark points for a steel anvil, therefore not seeing it on offer?

This, probably. If your main civ doesn't have any iron, they'll default to steel on the anvils, and you won't see it on embark menu if you can't afford it. No, the civs don't need the materials to make the alloys and like if they have the reactions permitted. No, it doesn't make sense, but it beats not having any anvil at all.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:09:38 am »

and no effect other than not having any actual iron or iron items. ever
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:10 am »

If you embark on a site with iron and then abandon, will your civ has access to iron now?
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 01:20:53 pm »

I never tried, but probably not untill more features get added. Your civ enters a state of suspended life, where the only ones popping to motion are migrants. Traders and liaisons enter a temporary state of motion. The beard-hive now remembers some of the training you've passed on to the traders, but otherwise, not much is happening, so I wouldn't bet on it.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.