Trial by water!
- 2 (33.3%)
Bury it alive, Mebuy style!
- 0 (0%)
The poll was confusing.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 61

Author Topic: Murderfarmed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (Overseers Needed)  (Read 82354 times)

Dustylou2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard of Yendor hits! You die... DYWYPI?
    • View Profile
Re: Murderfarmed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (34.11)
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2012, 06:25:10 pm »

Clearly, I'm the pick for bookkeeper. For one, I'm a wizard. Ever seen a wizard not good with books? I haven't. Secondly, as weird as my name is, it is at least a real word. 'Mr. Nerjin' tells you nothing about the person. They could be anything! With Dusty, you know that you are getting a wise and sagacious person. Worry not, I'll lead us to greatness.

As for the vampire, try to drown him. If he's a fake, then we can make use of him. Otherwise, oh well.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2012, 06:26:27 pm »

Galena 10

Dammit to hell! Sure enough I was right! I avoided writing about it for a bit for fear of being discovered in the planning phases but my suspicions that the Animal Caretaker Mebuy was a vampire in disguise were well founded and bloody accurate! I ordered Winter to dig a tunnel by the river then told Mebuy that I needed him to explore the “cavern” we'd just uncovered. Once inside I sealed him in and assembled the men by the river. I had Winter to dig downward piercing the wall separating the river and the tunnel. I told them that either he'd come up and we'd have to deal with him or he'd drown and we'd all be punished in the next life. He came back up putting on a show but he wasn't at all out of breath. Winter dug a grave by the tavern and we threw him inside, paving over the top. My perfect farming town is already plagued by abominations. He'll just sit there for now. I need to clear my head, more later.

20 Galena

I've tried to forget about that business with a vampire. It's entombed now and it's nobodies problem so long as it stays that way. Had some more buildings designated. As the storehouse is finished I'm going to have to decide on an owner. Still haven't gotten around to building a chicken coop. I think I'll have winter manage that. Simple work but rewarding. Tahudjt will take care of the kilns and clay collection. The less I have to micromanage the easier it is on my frayed nerves.

Galena Close
Ran out of booze briefly, I designated an area behind my home to be a stockpile for barrels so there's less distance between my crops and my still. It's all taken care of now. Thorick has a roof over his head as  does Paintbrush Turkey over in the fishery. Tahudjts house is finished just need to put the bed in. Winter doesn't have a house. Whoever gets Bookkeeper gets the warehouse adjacent home and whoever doesn't gets the wood stockpile. I can't believe it's already autumn. We'll put a trade depot out next month and see if the traders think enough of us to stop by on their routes.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:33 pm »

tell me you have a plan to get me out, assuming i am not a vampire

drain the water retrieve the, ehm......, bits......
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2012, 06:37:29 pm »

drain the water retrieve the, ehm......, bits......
This was the first plan but since we have no hard stone we have no mechanisms for screw pumps I had to do a one time use.

InfinityWEAPON

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as he thinks he is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2012, 06:41:48 pm »

Also, might I inquire as to this:
*There are no public services. Dining halls, Dormitories, Hospitals, and all industries cannot be constructed without a Noble or Legendary dwarf to own them.

* To have an organized military you must have a barracks and a barracks must be owned by a noble.
Is ownership defined by the narrative? Or is it some function within the gameplay itself that I have yet discovered?
The bacon is currently molten, this is a problem.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2012, 06:49:30 pm »

Also, might I inquire as to this:
*There are no public services. Dining halls, Dormitories, Hospitals, and all industries cannot be constructed without a Noble or Legendary dwarf to own them.

* To have an organized military you must have a barracks and a barracks must be owned by a noble.
Is ownership defined by the narrative? Or is it some function within the gameplay itself that I have yet discovered?

Strictly narrative. You can't build anything unless you have a noble that can "own it" I establish that by having the industry or building near their home.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2012, 06:54:20 pm »

how many kills has the vamp?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2012, 07:12:09 pm »

Limestone 10
Got Tahudjt into his house and built the skeleton of  Winters home and the chicken coop. I think I'll give Nejrin the Bookkeepers position and Dusty  the lumberyard. Works begun on the Warehouse as well. We've got a nice clip going. I hope we can get some more done before winter comes and I turn the reins over to Nerjin this overseer stuff is a real headache. It's like every little circumstance is contrived to screw me over and without constant maintenance and oversight it all falls apart. If we were all on the same page and did everything in the most efficient order we'd have our town finished by now and we'd be living in reasonable luxury but complaining won't fix anything.

Limestone 20
The warehouse is half finished, not much else has changed. We've got a decent crop going now but planting is taking too long. After the bulk of the construction is finished I'll put the growers back to work. I've ordered some paths beaten to give us the look of a legitimate town but they'll take some time to get done.

Limestone Close

I've ordered a moratorium on fishing, and all other non essential activities. We ran out of booze again. It's already recovering but we need to avoid things like this in the future. Nejrin needs to start that book keeping right away so we have more accurate numbers. Next month we need to finish up these roofs and house the last of the nobility of Murderfarmed. This won't be much of an empire without providing for our nobles.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:02 pm »

how many kills has the vamp?
He won't confess to any but a quick look at legends says he killed three hundred and twenty seven dwarves and used to be a general.

emeralis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »

I would like to be dorfed please.
Name is The Witch, with the job of farmer.

mebuysword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2012, 08:39:24 pm »

Journal of Mebuy, scrawled by very sharp fingernails into a carefully smoothed clay wall

Well dearest diary, it appears that my big mouth has once again landed me in hot water. Or very cold water I should say. Well, as I don’t see any particular way that I am going to be getting out of here anytime soon, I may as well start at the beginning.

After evading your run of the mill torch wielding mob of pissed of farmers, I came to a river and decided to follow it upstream till I found some civilization. On the way up I encountered those two treacherous vagabonds, the married soldiers. After a brief conversation with the two timing turncoats, I determined that they were going to the new settlement of murderfarmed, the first city of the new dwarven civilization of The Persuasive Crafts. According to the pair of yellow-bellied deserters, this new civilization would build above ground, like the humans, and if rumor was to be believed, it wouldn’t even have a wall. The two cowardly milk drinkers told me that they were going to provide the new place with some protection, as it would need all that it could get.

I figured that any dwarf crazy enough to try to live on the surface would be dumb enough to not recognize a vampire, but I was wrong! The overseer, one “Broseph” seemed to catch onto my true identity, probably around the time I was telling him about one of my more harrowing battles. I must learn to keep my mouth shut.

Anyway, they tricked me into checking out a tunnel, and let the river rush into it. I of course was perfectly fine, but I have never been particularly good at acting, and the group quickly saw that I had been in no danger of drowning. The overseer ordered me thrown into this little hole in the ground, and here I wait. But, being the insufferable fool that he is, the overseer forgot to build a small shed over me, thus making it possible for me to communicate with the outside world. Every night I hear the pitter patter of the tiny feet of those delightful bogeymen. Now I just have to figure out how to convince my little friends to teach me how to enter this “Broseph”s dreams.

Soon, I will have more than these blank walls for amenities. Soon, I will be living in the lap of luxury. Soon, I will have this entire little town under my control! Soon, I Will be the unquestioned ruler of this land!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:41:13 pm by mebuysword »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 08:47:50 pm »

Diary of Nerjin the Druid

I have found this place to my liking oddly enough. The open space is such a large change from the stuffy mountainhomes that I can scarcely believe it. However it does have its problems. I will be taking the reigns of this land soon enough. Well as far as I can tell anyway, no one has made it official but it has been heavily hinted at. I'm thinking maybe a brick wall from the clay? I'm not sure but as far as it goes I'll ask the current over-seer tomorrow to see if that's okay.

Something that bothers me is our vampire friend. While I understand the need for caution must we really trap him in such a small space? I will see what can't be done about creating a small house for him. No blood of course, completely walled off. However I find that it would be more appropriate to provide him with at least something to occupy himself. Maybe I'll give him my job. This book-keeping is much more tedious than I had thought. But that is for me to decide later.

As for now I'm thinking of a little project that might be interesting. A grand inn to house new-coming dwarves... Or perhaps, if that is unacceptable to our towns founder, it is his land after all so I will abide by his rules as much as I must, but I digress, if tht is unacceptable to our founder than perhaps I shall try to improve housing conditions. I don't see why an inn would be unacceptable, travelers would certainly enjoy it and it could bring some income to our village. But once again that is to discuss with the over-seer tomorrow.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Dustylou2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard of Yendor hits! You die... DYWYPI?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2012, 08:54:51 pm »

Journal of Dusty, meticulously engraved on a clay tablet

It seems our dear leader has disagreed with me on who is better with keeping books. I could have mind controlled him, but he seems an honest enough fellow. I don't have it in my heart to do such a thing to such an earnest dwarf. Thankfully, as chief woodcutter, I am able to keep a private supply of wood with which to construct my next tower. I'll do it myself if I have to - that's what this place is all about, right? Once it's done, I'll be able to tap into the mighty power of this land and truly rule. My wizardry will usher in a golden age.

As for the bizarre vampire fellow, I am glad we trapped him when we did. Little is known about their true capabilities. What if they can enthrall the masses? It would threaten my eventual ascension, or worse, I could become a mere pawn. It is best that we keep him there, to later use him as a tool.

Betelgeuse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2012, 09:37:26 pm »

Just realized I forgot to add dwarfing info, I would like a male dwarf who is an architect and/or a mechanic. If neither of those works maybe some kind of craftsman.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 09:41:55 pm »

From the Journal of Broseph Stalin

Sandstone 10
The paths have been beaten and a few adminsitrative changes regarding fish have occurred. We're storing all the unprepared ones in the basement of the fishery. The hens sitting on her eggs and I've ordered the sheep sheared and milked. The basics of our little farming town are down pat and now it's just building and management.I'm eager to see whether or not the Caravans find us worth their while we have little to trade but if we can broker a deal with them they'll be bound as merchantmen to return next year.

Sandstone 20
The houses are being built with wooden roofs rather than clay, it's less time consuming but likely less cozy come winter. Thanks to that design change construction goes much quicker than it has been. Nerjin is all settled in and winter just needs a bed. Migrants came earlier this month and after a quick fang-check I put them to work. Bluepainter, Stardust, Sayacks, and some clerk who got here a bit too late. He's infinitely more qualified to be bookkeeper than Nerjin but Nerjins damn near finished with the book keeping so I made him our new full time brewer. He explained he was a clerk and clerking was all he was good at. I explained on my land he was a brewer and if I caught him doing anything but brewing I was going to kick him in the face.

Sandstone Close

Had a nasty run in with a black bear, caught it skulking about the wood stockpile and inching towards the warehouse but the dogs chased it off. I had some of the boys restrain the mutt and at first it was all clear but then the bear came back the same way, this time I had Tahudjt stand watch. I was almost certain I'd sent him to his death when it knocked him to the ground but a few clever moves and he turned the tables on the beast long enough to strike a fatal blow. Not a bad swordhand that one fresh meat and fresh hide. There's a real bite in the air these days, it'll be a hard winter I think.

Timber 10

River froze over today. The crops are pretty resilient which is more than I can say about some of these migrants. The colds already getting to them, I can't even imagine how loud they'll whine when there's snow and ice everywhere. Come to think of it this is about as cold as it got during spring none of us have faced the fury of a Murderfarmed winter. I pity the poor bastards without good clay insulation. There's plenty of meat, fish, fruit, and wine but there's not much to be done about the cold.

Timber 20

Traders! I knew they'd come I knew it! Wagons loaded with wares and hungry to strike a deal. I made stardust broker being that he's got the most skills and even though the crop isn't strong enough to sell I've ordered some meat and fish taken to the trade depot. Let's hope he can strike a deal for some stone and armaments.

Timber Close

That Stardust is a shrewd trader, he traded a wheelbarrow full of clay for a few bars of metal, some glass, and a barrel of good brew. It's not much but it's good to keep these things on hand. Next month will be the start of winter. If I can shepherd this lot through to spring I can relax and manage my own farm and let Nerjin spend a year rubbing his temples. The nobility is all housed save Stardust whom doesn't have an industry to preside over anyway. I suppose there's still more to do over winter, we could still use a barracks.

Not much of a cartographer but these should be fairly accurate representations of the layout of Murderfarmed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:08:25 pm by Broseph Stalin »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 61