Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lots and lots of zombies  (Read 4222 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lots and lots of zombies
« on: June 05, 2012, 06:17:56 pm »

Oh come on now, I only just got 50 people, no military peps, and the pit trap isn't ready yet.

So, how shitty are humanoid zombies as fighters? I could use them to train my military I suppose. Thank god I internalized my corpse dumping/
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lots and lots of zombies
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:26:57 pm »

Actually a bit more stress to this question, it appears that there are at least 3 dwarves who will not make it before they hit my gates.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:30:59 pm »

SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING.

Wall up your butchers, refuse, and make three layer walls. Forbid doors, get everyone in the army so they have armor, and put them all in a room. Except for your actual army, have them at the entrance, ready to face the horde.

Thats what I do atleast.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 06:31:49 pm »

Zombies will kill them, and the necromancer will raise them to fight, as well. You're probably kinda screwed unless you can turtle up and train up the army. Or make lots of traps :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »

It's ok, I calmly raised the gates and they didn't get in. Two of my dwarves fell first, though.

One of them was my near-legendary carpenter =(

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 06:41:19 pm »

Nice. Zombies are great dodgers, a 2-3 tile long dodge-me trap will send them all to the bottom of a pit. I recommend 20 z-levels with upright spikes at the bottom.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 06:45:14 pm »

I'm going to stick them in my pit trap and train my military dwarves a bit, assuming they don't leave by then.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:43:41 pm »

Wall up your butchers, refuse, and make three layer walls. Forbid doors, get everyone in the army so they have armor, and put them all in a room. Except for your actual army, have them at the entrance, ready to face the horde.
Thats what I do atleast.
How quickly do your Dwarves die, trapped with the undead in their snug coffins?

Just I mean...

Zombies!

If you don't have a military when the zed arrive, you're not going to be clearing them with steel any time soon....

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:34:48 pm »

if zombies for a evil biome then you are dead

they will not stop re-spawning if you kill them, and magma will only make burning zombies that never die
your only hope is to make a trap the kill them and burn them, so they die then the bodies burn

if it is from a necromancer, then i do not know

likely you just need to kill the necromancer
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:47:07 pm »

Yeah, but the necro seems to be hanging back, he only revived a single gobbo thief corpse.

My problem is that without wood or my super-carpenter my bin and bed jobs are backlogged. Also I'm unsure my internal food reserves is enough to keep everyone fed for the time it takes me to clear them out with cold hard steel, but I have so many seeds backlogged and so many suddenly idle wood cutters, that shouldn't be an issue.

I just hope migrants and caravans have heard the news and avoid walking into a bloody zombie-fest.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:16:47 pm »

Yeah, but the necro seems to be hanging back, he only revived a single gobbo thief corpse.
Nothing you can do then really, except maybe fling minecarts or ballista bolts at it.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 12:50:34 am »

Tunnel out to beneath the necro, dig out small room part way along and set as corpse pile. put doors at entrance but don't forbid. Create max length bridge (make sure it raises and lowers along the tunnel) set to constant repeat with a lever in room with most dwarves and connect it to the bridge. enable mining on a useless dwarf and force him to be the one to breach the surface next to the necromancer. If possible, get him back inside safely but that's why it should be a useless one. Now I'm assuming it's not a self raising biome, so with a "clear" line to the corpse pile the necromancer should path through the bridge. I haven't tried this in the latest version, but if a bridge is repeating up and down things SHOULD still try to walk over it and thus keep dying to it. Since the necromancer will be the closet thing to the entrance you create, he should go down first to try and raise the corpse pile (recommended doors as I'm not fully aware of how their raise dead works/range on it) and get smashed by the bridge. If you don't want to risk a dwarf dying, use the bridge+ramp method people use to safely breach lava (someone can probably explain it better than I could). Probably want to wall this trap off from your fort at one point as well to be on the safe side.

Assuming this would work fine, what do you think guys?
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 01:03:08 am »

Could you hypothetically lure a necromancer into a trap using dead bodies as bait?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 01:09:39 am »

Could you hypothetically lure a necromancer into a trap using dead bodies as bait?
Yes.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:08:16 am »

It would have to be a big trap, or military Dwarves in ambush. But yes, you can, and it works with ambushing necros too.

(recommended doors as I'm not fully aware of how their raise dead works/range on it)
Works on a line of sight basis. Generally if you want to lure your necro away, you'll want the corpse items to be in line of sight (animal skins make good scapegoats). Which means you'll have to make the trap big, or have military Dwarves ready to chop some necro heads off.
Pages: [1] 2