Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Progress :: Never Split the Party, Scooby Doo  (Read 47723 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: The Forest That Keeps On Giving
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2012, 11:09:05 am »

((It happens. D:

Lazarus is a must have, and can easily be deactivated when not on B12 or in any dire situation when text is of the utmost importance.

Also, PTW because why-am-I-not-here-waitlist))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: The Forest That Keeps On Giving
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:20 am »

Talendir

This journey had been irritating from the beginning, but this...! You dash forward, putting a bit of your anger into a slash at the bear-thing [4] v. [3], which lands cleanly, tearing a long wound down its side. Stepping back, you flick greenish ichor from your sword, snorting in derision at the beast.
____

Derm and Aero

The two of you bicker for a moment, before Aero spirals down into the gap in the trees, narrowly avoiding the interwoven branches. Both of you land near-silently in thick, tall grass near the center of a clearing. You look around, trying to determine where the movement that Aero supposedly saw was. Aero spots them first, pointing to draw Derm's attention to the pair of humans dressed in earth-toned clothing at the edge of the clearing. One clutches a spear, while the other has a dagger in one hand, with a half-filled satchel on their back, which appears to contain a number of herbs and fungi. Both are looking away from you, warily scanning the forest.
____

Mina

Hearing sounds of battle, you run from the creek to where your comrades stand, confronting some creature. As you approach, the young warrior-Talendir, his name was?-snarks at you, telling you to go back and drown yourself. Hurt, you reproach him, to which he responds by identi-no, by accusing you of being a paladin (as if it were dishonorable!), questioning your "true" goal in this quest. You start to shout back, but your merchant persona cuts you off, shelving it for a later date, as you stab at the contaminated bear. [5] v. [6] Your strike is shallow, chipping a few bits of bark away, and the bear swats back at you, leaving a trio of narrow cuts on your extended arm.

-4 HP
____

Hedric

Your mind clears as you run at the beast, jumping and kicking off of its chest [6] v. [1] with great force, cratering a small section of bark, propelling yourself up into the branches of a tree, scratching your skin and clothes slightly. Drawing your dirk, you jump into a swan-dive, blade aimed at the bear's head. [6] v. [6] As you fall, the bear's bark-encrusted ear shatters and falls away as a large mushroom erupts from its skull, rushing up to meet you. Your blade sinks deep and the shaft of the fungus snaps, throwing you off-balance. You tumble to the ground, managing to pull the severed fungus under you to help cushion the fall.
____

Sinterous

You swagger towards the bear-plant-thing, a confident grin on your face as you chant an aria, swirls of chilled air gathering in front of your raised hand. You fire the air at your foe, supercooling it in flight, [4] v. [6] and it washes over the creature! It has little apparent effect, though a small amount of frost forms on the thing's head and chest.
____

The bear shudders, its skin and bark rippling as something flows beneath. A number of shoots burst forth, some burrowing into the ground at the edge of the road as others blossomed into immense flowers nearly half a meter in diameter. Their petals wavered as if in a light wind, and clouds of spores burst forth, spraying out at the four standing before the former bear!

Hedric's eyes widen as he staggers to his feet, [2] v. [1], a tightly packed stream of yellowish spores passing overhead. In his surprise, he stumbles back, falling to the ground again. As he lands, he accidentally slices his left arm with his dirk, leaving a long, narrow gash.

-3 HP

A larger cloud of spores shoots towards Talendir [3] v. [6], missing him entirely as he jumps back, bringing his free arm up to cover his mouth and nose; and towards Mina [5] v. [2], who inadvertently inhales a clump of them!

More spores are projected towards Sinterous at high speed [4] v. [3], and he involuntarily breathes a number of them in, coating his throat and lungs.

Mina:
Your body trembles as [4] you feel the spores taking root, spending themselves as near-microscopic tendrils rapidly grow throughout your body, making connections with your brain. You feel an Other within you, and it "speaks", projecting raw thoughts into your mind:

growemergedefendconsume

As you try to resist the presence, it completes the bonding process, and your skin begins to develop a light greenish tint. Small flowers sprout from strands of your hair. You feel more complete, somehow.

Skill Gain: Symbiotic Floral Infestation: Mild photosynthetic abilities augment natural human regeneration (+1 HP and +1 MP restored each turn in direct sunlight or equivalent); minor physiological changes.

Sinterous:

You quiver [4], feeling threads of nonhuman matter growing through your flesh. You can faintly make out a whitish glow at places where they are near the surface of your skin. A thick strand grows along the outside of your spine, branching off to wrap around your skull. The seperated strands meet beneath the skin of your forehead, a bit above your left eye. With a mild pain, the growth breaks through, sprouting a bundle of thin, white mushrooms. They glow with the same light as the tendrils beneath your skin. As the foreign matter bonds itself to you, a strange feeling of power washes over you, as if a few drops had just been added to your magical reserves.

Symbiotic Fungal Infestation: Naturally magical fungi have merged with your body, slightly increasing your magical reserves and regeneration (+3 MP capacity, +1 MP regeneration per turn); minor physiological changes. The growth on your head provides slight illumination, comparable to a single candle.
____

The former bear sinks slightly into the earth; its flowers droop. Smaller fungi burst forth, growing rapidly over the trembling bark and fur.

((Okay, there it is. And holy shit, you two got lucky with those infestation rolls. I had some really nasty stuff prepared for failures; I'm actually a little disappointed I didn't get the chance to use it.  :P

And I've started saving current turns as word docs every paragraph or so, in addition to writing down the rolls.))

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:17:29 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: Hoo Boy...
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2012, 11:16:47 am »

((That was...very fast!))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2012, 11:17:53 am »

((What are those minor physiological changes? o_O))

((Also, Enokidake mushrooms are tasty in a stew of duenjang or bulgogi. :P))

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2012, 11:21:34 am »

((A reminder of the stuff growing inside you and the outward changes; the tendrils of floral/fungal matter, the flowers/enokidake, the greenish skin.

@Tiruin: I'm used to writing really fast for stories so I can get things out while I have motivation, plus I've only got a little time before I need to leave for my shift and wanted to get over being annoyed before then.  :P))

3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2012, 11:22:40 am »

((Oh; so no psychological changes? o_O))

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2012, 11:28:38 am »

((Oh; so no psychological changes? o_O))

((Correct. Apart from having a symbiote capable of communicating simple feelings and sensations. Of course, if you decide that your character has a problem with it, you're free to create mental issues.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2012, 12:48:56 pm »

((Man, everyone is getting bonuses left right and center.))

*cough* "Hello there!"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2012, 02:33:22 pm »

"Odd... Oh well, mana for the mana god, mushrooms for the mushroom throne. Let's get going."

Freeze the growing mass that was once a bear and continue on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2012, 02:43:17 pm »

((Can you tell us what the bad results were? Curiosity :P I wonder if ... being body usurped was in there >.>))

Mina blinks, then continues.

Oh, dear, MM thought, now we're a plant-infested freak! PM thought nothing.

Mina surreptitiously looked at her skin, and a few stands of her hair, a few of which had flowers on the ends.

Now she looked like some kind of druid, or whatever lived in trees, or nature spirits. D:

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2012, 02:58:34 pm »

((I thought Paladin Mina would be freaking out for becoming an inhuman aberration.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »

((She's in shock.))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2012, 04:33:37 pm »

Aero lets Derm off of his back onto the ground gently setting him down. Then, he turned to the people, and walked towards them with a swagger in his step.
"Uh hey, you guys! S'up?"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:25:30 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2012, 08:19:27 pm »

Talendir finished attacking the mutated creature with a clean slash - focusing part of the anger he had against paladins on his attack - and almost immediately got back to his controlled, disciplined combat stance and manner, his eyes focusing the once-bear with the cold indifference of a seasoned killer. Just another day fighting was not out of his routine.

The former knight saw as the creature prepared and launched its final attack. Talendir leapt back while covering his face to defend from the spreading spores and watched as both the paladin and the wizard were overtaken by mutations. A slight smile appeared on his face as the paladin was contaminated; so much caring for purity and humanity...

"What has become of your purity, paladin?"
Still smiling faintly, the soldier turned around and resumed going his way.

Keep walking.

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »

Mina stayed silent, as if she didn't even register the words Talendir said.
She kept brushing through some of her hair, looking at the ends, and touching her very slightly green skin.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36