Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Progress :: Never Split the Party, Scooby Doo  (Read 47729 times)

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: Uh-Oh
« Reply #270 on: July 13, 2012, 12:58:13 am »

Narrowly avoiding being crushed, Sinterous takes a minute to dust off his robe and reposition his wizard hat before striking a suitably grandiose pose.
"It appears you need to CHILL OUT!"
Let loose a wave of freezing air focused on the shoulder of the hand grabbing Mina.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2012, 01:17:33 pm »

If Derm's blast is successful:
Lei yelped as the blast shattered the hatch, and she was forced to scramble to avoid the debris. She had barely any time to get her bearings, but she managed to crawl through the opening. ''Uh... uhm... what's going on?'' Lei asked any passers by as there was some commotion.

If Derm's blast it not successful:
Lei waited, but there was no response. There may have been a slight impact noise on the hatch, but there was nothing that she could hear definitively. Deciding that she couldn't just wait here, she approached the hatch, closely examining the hatch with her mind to find any weakspots. Before she even realised she had her mind more open like before, she was willing to use her telekinesis to take advantage of any weakspots that would open the hatch. ''Come on, Lei. You can do this.''

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2012, 03:43:44 pm »

Derm

Pushing off from the ceiling, you [6] fire a massive blast of pure energy towards the floor at the rear of the building. The wooden structure explodes outward as chunks of stone and wood are ripped from the ground. You barely miss a twisted square of iron as a pressure wave pushes you away in a cloud of debris. Sparing a glance, you see a large crater, at the edge of which is the forward third of the meeting hall. With a mental shrug, you raise your other hand. You shape a pulse of "astral fire", launching it towards the hilltop [2], but the sphere erupts after covering barely half the distance. [1] v. [6] You feel completely fine.

-20 MP
+2 XP
____

Aero

You make a rather weak attempt at a one-liner, thinking back to a play you once saw about a rogue named "Jahimz Bawnd".

[6] Bursting through the roof with only a few cuts and scratches, you quickly spy a pair of figures at the top of a nearby hill, apparently facing off against a massive Inside-Out Man. You try to pull down rain to wash away the slime coating your body [3], but nothing happens.

You notice Derm holding his hand out, firing a blast of something that you can't quite make out towards the hill. [3] v. [4] Nothing appears to happen, and you fly on towards your companions.

-1 HP
-4 MP
____

Talendir

((Yes, it did. I've been trying to apply damage based on several factors: The rolls relative to one another (a 4 vs. 3 would be much less damaging than a 5 vs. 1, for example; "closer" rolls will result in less damage, and lower defensive/higher offensive rolls will result in more); the strength/magnitude of the attack (having what is essentially a little brother of a Bloodthirster smack you around or grab you will hurt more than a human doing the same thing); and a bit of my mind remembering to not make it too easy or too difficult (this encounter could very easily end with multiple PC deaths if you handle it badly or get a streak of poor luck; I don't want to make it a walkover, but I also don't want to have it be a TPK within three attacks).

The way your (and any future) damage-related skills and attributes work is that I figure out what amount of damage fits a specific strike, and then add or remove whatever bonuses they give. The system isn't pinpoint precise, but I'm actively trying to keep it fair [each combat roll that results in damage is typically at least 3-4 minutes of thought on exactly what level of damage would be appropriate]; in all honesty, I probably would lose interest if I needed to write up precise damage tables for absolutely everything that you hurt/hurts you. Hope that helped clear things up.  :) ))

Coming to a swift decision, you move to cripple the daemon, attempting to distract it from Mina. Dashing under it, you [5 + 1] v. [4] slash at its ankles, cutting it deeply. Blood flows from the wound and the daemon staggers, dropping to a knee. You take a ready stance with your shield raised as it turns towards you.

((S' a shame Thank goodness your bonus made the difference large enough to justify you succeeding; I was really not enjoying working out exactly how thick the skin and flesh over its Achilles' tendon would be, extrapolating from scaled up human norms, and if that plus the thicker material would prevent a broadsword [also working out exactly how long the blade would be] from severing the tendon. I had almost finished, too.  :P))

In the distance you notice Derm drifting up in an expanding cloud of debris. He raises his hand, and a few moments later a sort of nothingness detonates in the air between the hilltop and him. [3] v. [5] You don't feel any different.

+5 XP
____

Mina

((S'fine. You forgot about your Smite Evil passive +1, as well. Still won't help you.  :P))

Time slows around you as you monologue, snapping back to normal as you [1 + 1 + 1] v. [4] flail at the daemon's arm with the flat of your blade. Out of the corner of your eye you see Derm floating upward (again), his hand raised towards you. Well, towards the daemon holding you. A pulse of something bursts between you and him [3] v. [1]. You don't think you feel any different...

Oathsword Cooldown: 3
____

Sinterous

Making sure that you look presentable, you unleash the fury of terrible one-liners in sync with Aero, firing a cone of freezing air at the daemon's shoulder. [2] v. [3] The stream of air misses, flying past its head. Behind you, strange energy bursts in midair. [4] v. [1] Your concentration prevents you from noticing anything.

-5 MP
____

Lei

You scream as a massive blast of energy rips the hatch from its frame, shattering the roof of your cell. Through the gaping hole, you can see the remnants of a passage, and the starry sky above that. Hesitantly climbing up a newly-formed slope, you find yourself in the center of a decent-sized crater. A crumbling building rests along one side; above you, you can see someone floating upward. He points his hand at a hilltop, drawing your attention to the figure atop it. An invisible burst of energy erupts in the sky [3] v. [4], but you don't really notice anything out of the ordinary. You ask the empty night if it knows what is going on. A voice answers in a hissing whisper, "Yeeess..."
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The daemon glowers down at Talendir as purple-green flames race along the spines protruding from its skin, enveloping both of its arms as it swings them down at him. Jets of flame shoot from its back, launching streaks of abnormal fire towards the village.
____

Mina [6] v. [2] utters an involuntary cry of pain as the flames wash over her moments before she is smashed into the ground feet-first with a loud snap, a thin trail of blood leaking from the corner of her mouth. The daemon releases its hold on her as it draws back.

-19 HP
____

As the daemon's fists streak towards him with surprising speed, [3] v. [2] Talendir awkwardly rolls out of the way.
____

Sinterous [2] v. [4] easily evades the daemonic fire as it flies past him, thumbing his nose at the otherworldly abomination.
____

Lei's attention is diverted from the whispering voice as she notices streaks of strangely-colored fire falling towards her [5] v. [5], running and rolling about to avoid them as they land.
____

Derm and Aero are too high for the shallow-angled projectiles to reach, and watch buildings in the town flare up while their comrades struggle on the hill. Derm continues to drift upward.
____

((Okay, that should be it. I honestly didn't think I'd need to do research on gamma rays and Acute Radiation Sickness this early into the game. Well done, derm.  :P

Of course, the point will be moot for someone if there isn't a rapid turnabout here.))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:45:25 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I knew radiation was a bad idea, but it seems common sense is a rare commodity these days. :P))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Derm frowned. 'Dammit, I'll have to work on that later. For now... hmm... he's on fire, so.. ice seems good!'

Get closer to them, draw water out of local sources (Air, plant, animal, the demon), form it into a spike, freeze it, and fire it as a ballista.

HP: 25/30
MP: 26/41

I just realized I'm sorta like magical Iron Man right now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:04:27 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

"Ya need t' work on yer anger issues. I'd recommend shock therapy!"
Call a lightning strike on the demon, aiming for the top of the head, where it grew from.
((What are my javelins made of?))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:21:26 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

((Wooden shafts, iron heads.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Wooden shafts, iron heads.))
((So no use as lightning rods. That's a disappointment,))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((@GM: How do our armors work? Do they take a fixed amount of damage and then break?

And: Does the loud snap when Mina fell means a bone was broken?))

Talendir narrows his eyes as he finishes rolling out of the enemy's away. The daemon's attack didn't have any real skill to it, but technique was created due to the weakness of the humans, and it almost managed to hit home. If your attacks are quick and strong enough, there is no need for finesse.

He watches as the sorcerer, still keeping his clumsy, uncoordinated flight, sends something their way. Something which the soldier recognizes at a subconscious level as a terrible idea. Luckily, nothing obviously disastroushappens and he decides to inquire the magic user later, preferentially when the daemon is dealt with.

The looming threat quickly lets go of Mina as she attacks his hand, smashing her against the ground with violence. Quite fitting for a paladin, actually. Talendir knows she won't die so easily anyway and she's still able to heal herself through her powers. It seems her little prayer didn't help her situation.

"Heh. Stand up, wipe the blood off your mouth and fight. Aren't you a paladin?

Hey, useless piece of meat and bones. I'm here."

Try to attract the demon's attention to distract him from the fallen paladin, take advantage of his fallen stance and run the broadsword through his face. Twist the blade if the steel manages to kiss his visage.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile

''Yeeeeesss...'' Lei shivered at the voice, as it ran accross her mind. She was not keen on following it's course, and hoped that someone else would respond aswell. She was given neither:

A crackle was the only warning Lei had, as she looked just in time to see the streaks of fire as they headed to her. She sqeaked a cry, as she closed her eyes and cringed for what was to come. A loud set of explosions later, she opened her eyes to find that they had missed her... just. She looked in the direction they had come from, and saw whatever that thing was.
''Oh my spirits.'' She put her hand to her mouth. That creature was fighting other humans as they tried to fend the monster. She gripped her quarterstaff tightly as she started to run; The village was in danger. She stopped, turned around before she said: ''Uh-uhm... thankyou... whoever you are. But I have to do something first.'' Lei wasn't sure on that voice, but it would have been impolite to simply ignore it.

She started running to the monster, sighting some things quickly. One of their comrades looked worse for wear, and too close for comfort. Lei decided on a course of action. She focused on the ground near the monster, thrusting her staff as if it was a spell, she flung loose soil and stone into the monsters face to blind it. Nervously, she continued to open her mind to those fighting it, trying to see everyone's condition and emotions.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile

Levitate the stones in the ground around Mina violently to the surface, creating a shielding wall for her and lacerating the daemon.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((It seems that my internet is working again, and that I can rejoin this game.))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((If the one liners get bad enough, will they start stunning or doing damage? Could Aero be a weathermage/punmancer?))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Mina weakly lays hands on herself and attempts to induce healing.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Derm

Attempting to close the distance between yourself and the hilltop [1], you suddenly realize that you are still in a null-gravity field, drifting upward at a decent clip, and nowhere near anything you could use to push off. Still, you decide to contribute and [4] v. [1] draw small amounts of water from everything below you, enough to form a decent-sized spike without killing every plant, animal, and person from severe dehydration. You freeze the liquid ballista bolt as you project it towards the daemon. A moment later, it slams into the thing's lower back, drawing another pained growl as bits of blood and rapidly melting ice spray through the air.

-12 MP
____

Aero

While indulging in more bad punnery, you [6] v. [1] call down a massive lightning strike from the heavens, sending a pulse of electrical energy through the daemon. The flesh and bone at the point of the strike blacken, and it twitches uncontrollably.

-14 MP
+ 8 XP

((I'm not going to make any suggestions that would encourage constant use of combat punnery. Buuuut.... Yep, certain actions, if successful, will give you (among other things) new skills, which in turn will influence what sort of secondary classes you'll be able to choose from if the game progresses (heh) that far. But yes, even though I'm not always an active updater, I have enough of a framework planned out to take this as far as people want to play.))
____

Talendir

You taunt the abomination from beyond while stabbing toward its face [3] v. [1], leaving a shallow scratch. As your blade makes contact, a jolt of electricity arcs from the daemon to your sword, running through your body into the ground.

-2 HP

((Armor doesn't have a set "health" or anything like that, but substantial hits might damage or destroy it, though you'll need to examine it to determine what sort of damage there is and if you can fix it. So for example, your shield could take dozens of mediocre sword blows without any real change, but that overhead strike dented it up. I'll generally leave indicators when things like that happened, but it'll be up to you to find out exactly what is wrong. It's the same deal for things like broken bones and such; they'll affect your performance, but you won't know in-character what the exact problem is without checking; someone bleeding from the mouth might have bitten their tongue, or they might have severe internal injuries. But yes, something is broken, and your shield is a bit battered. For a similar example, if Derm keeps going up, he'll eventually leave the atmosphere; I won't outright state that outside of OOC comments, but IC I'll mention that it is becoming more difficult for him to breathe, then that he passes out, and so on.

Put simply, I'm trying to strike a balance between numbers and RP/description. I could just say "Your shield loses 14 AP" or "Mina gains Condition: Broken Ankle [-1 to Agility], but I think that this way is a bit more interesting, as I've never been one for pure powergaming. Hope that helped.  :))))
____

Lei

Sprinting towards the hill intent on attacking the daemon [1], you realize that your stay in that cell left you pretty darned weak, and can't reach the hill very quickly. Still, you cast out a wide-range mental net [2], but fail to feel anything at all. You feel several beings stalking you through the streets.
____

Sinterous

Attempting to shield Mina from harm and possibly strike the daemon, you [1] flick your hand and try to levitate rocks from beneath the earth. The spell backfires and slams you into the ground.

-3 HP
-4 MP
____

Mina

Recalling a divine spell used by more advanced members of your order, you attempt to lay hands on yourself [5], successfully forging a link to the higher planes! Foreign power courses through your arms as your wounds close, and you feel the bones in your right ankle realign and grow rapidly. You feel a great warmth in your chest and gut as injured organs heal and reform.

+18 HP
-6 MP
+5 XP
Gain Skill: Lay on Hands: Channel divine power to heal yourself or others; healing varies based on success. -6 MP cost.

Oathsword Cooldown: 2
____

Hedric

A rent is torn in the sky above a certain hill and you are unceremoniously booted out, eyes screwed shut as you desperately try to suppress your most recent memories. You land on the dirt between a wizard who has apparently just faceplanted and a paladin who is busy touching herself. You try to remember names as the fighty-guy's teeth chatter from a mild electric charge. One of your pockets feels a bit lighter than you remember.
____

The daemon chuckles bloodily as it begins to rip itself open, assembling ribs into what looks like a rather gore-ridden gateway. While Derm continues to drift upward and Lei deals with repeated failures, the rest of the dysfunction junction crew try to gather themselves up. More bones seed and sprout from the crippled daemon as it continues its work; you estimate that it is around halfway done with the initial frame.

((So yeah. No crippling injuries this turn, but plenty of potential coming. Let the Lay on Hands jokes ensue. But hey, at least you've got semireliable healing now.))

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36