Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Progress :: Never Split the Party, Scooby Doo  (Read 47696 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Roll to Progress :: Burny Sez: Only You Can Set Forest Fires
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2012, 09:39:30 am »

Walk across.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:12:23 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: Ice, Ice Baby
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:56 am »

((MP: 20?/20))

((My apologies! Hence why I shouldn't be posting updates right after I get off from work.  :-[

-7 MP for that lightning bolt; your regen is +2 MP/turn))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: Crows & Creeks
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2012, 10:20:31 am »

Derm blinked.

"Did you miss the bit where my leg was replaced by an icicle? This isn't a sightseeing/birdhunting trip, this is a 'Get me to that village and find me a damn medic' trip."

HP: 18/30
MP: 16/40 (Regens 5 MP/turn)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2012, 10:22:57 am »

"Fine then. Just make sure those birds don't leave us."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2012, 01:37:14 pm »

Aero

Closing your eyes, you call to the clouds, trying to bring rain to smother the flames. [2] The sky overhead is still clear, and you shake your head in disappointment.

-4 MP

You fly towards the village, asking Derm to keep an eye on the flock of crows.
____

Sinterous

You sit on a small boulder near the edge of the screen, moving your fingers over one of the blank scrolls while chanting, envisioning a sort of directional spray of anti-heat. [3 + 1] Glowing letters scrawl across the parchment, a magical array forming in the center. The patterns burn into your mind as the scroll is encased in ice for a few moments before it shatters into mist.

You have created the spell Freezing Spray, a directional blast of incredibly cold air. Cost: 6 MP per cast.

-1 Blank Scroll (1 remaining)
____

Hedric

You have your suspicions regarding flowing water in dark forests and decide to play it safe, climbing high into an oak on the edge of the creek. With a mighty leap [3 + 1] you clear the stream, tucking and rolling as you land. You smirk to yourself as you look back at your less-agile companions. A branch cracks behind you, somewhere in the trees on your side of the water.
____

Mina

With no hesitation, you stride into the creek, water swirling around your shins. You reach the middle of the stream, by which point the water is up to your knees, when your body begins to tingle. [5] Chills race up and down your spine, and the water around you stops flowing normally, creating a pocket of calm. You notice something approaching from upstream; a vague recollection from your days with one of your instructors during your training returns, giving a name to the creature.

'Naiad'; a river nymph. It stands, speaking in a flowing voice, "So, Pure-Heart, Ice-Heart. It has been a long time since your kind crossed my home. The last was most uncouth, and left a rather disgusting thing with me. Please, take it, I would have been rid of it long ago, but he sealed it in such a way that only one of your order may remove it."

The nymph reaches into her stream, drawing out a silvery-white blade, a longsword with an elegantly engraved hilt and pommel, holy runes carved into the guard. She offers it to you as if it were a dead plague-rat.
____

Talendir

You wait to see if some horrible thing happens to Mina; she was probably a damned paladin, after all. That alone was enough to make him detest her. A few moments later, as she was approached by the naiad, you are puzzled. What would an inherently chaotic river-nymph want with a paladin? As the naiad offered up the blade, he quickly arrived at the conclusion that it was trying to get rid of some "holy" artifact.

The naiad was completely focused on Mina, and there didn't seem to be any effects inherent in the water, so you start across, carefully staying a bit downstream from the paladin and the nymph. [3] As you approached the center of the creek, you feel a bit nauseous, and the water below you starts to reek of rotting corpses. Trying to settle your stomach, you hurry to cross to the other bank, pushing back memories of old battlefields. When you set foot on dry land, the smell and unnatural feeling fade away in an instant.
____

Derm

You hang on tightly to Aero as blood mixes with melted ice, trickling down your leg. You aren't positive, but you don't think any major blood vessels were damaged. In the distance, you can see the flock of birds Aero was talking about. They appear to be approaching quite rapidly.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »

"I don't think they're friendly."

Send out some type of primal fear spell toward the birds.

MP: 21/40 (Regens 5 MP/turn)
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2012, 02:32:40 pm »

Swagger over to the shore and use wizardly charms to secure safe passage across the lovely nymph's stream.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: Ice, Ice Baby
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2012, 04:25:02 pm »

Aero continued his flight, but tried to call another rainstorm.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2012, 04:39:27 pm »

Talendir nonchalantly passed through the creek unfazed by the smell of rotting corpses and memories of old battlefields. They were second nature to him.

Keep walking.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:06:19 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Roll to Progress :: It's Totally Not Excalibur, And You Ain't No Saber
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »

Accept sword gingerly.

"This is so blatantly holy that it must be," said Mina. Merchant Mina added, "A great way to trap a paladin would be to make a sword blatantly holy and curse it through hell and back."

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2012, 11:11:44 pm »

Hedric froze at the sound of the snapping wood. A sure sign of something trying to sneak up on him. He carefully drew out one of his throwing knives, and in one deft movement, spun and threw it in the direction in which he heard the noise!

Stats: HP: 35/35
MP: 0/0
Skills:Nimble Hands, Leaps and Bounds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2012, 08:10:37 pm »

Derm

You voice your concerns to Aero, "I don't think those birds look very friendly," sending out a thread of your power towards the flock, attempting to put the fear of You into their simple minds. [4] As your magic passes through them, they panic and scatter, eventually gathering back up as they return to the tower. [6] As they descend through the broken roof, you feel a brief pulse of magical energy with a strange feel to it, almost like a bitter taste in your mouth. After a few moments, the feeling dissipates.

-3 MP
+5 XP

Your wound has coagulated enough that you are no longer bleeding. It still hurts, and you think you might have trouble putting weight on it without treatment.
____

Sinterous

With a swagger in your step, you proudly stride towards the stream, attempting to hail the naiad. [2] She glares at you for a moment before turning back towards Mina. Shrugging, you start across anyhow. It isn't as if every petty little nature-spirit would know of your greatness, after all, stuck in some little backwater creek like this. You reach the middle of the flowing water and [5] a chill passes over you, in a rather pleasant way. A trickle of water spirals upward, forming a helix around your body. It forms into a sphere above your head and abruptly collapses, flowing down through your hair. Strangely, it feels quite warm, and your mind clears. A pulse of energy races through your body! You feel as if you've gained some new knowledge about your mind and body.

+10 XP
+3 MP Capacity

You cross the rest of the way, smiling faintly.
____

Aero

Still flying towards the village, you try to pull down rain onto the now-distant fire. [4] A small cloud forms in the empty air, hovering rather low, drenching the site. A large amount of smoke rises, but flames are no longer visible. Concentrating, you can see that most if not all of the fire is extingushed. As you turn your head back towards the village, you see that the murder of crows is no longer above the forest. You estimate that it will take another twenty minutes of flight to reach the outskirts of the village, though Derm's added weight is tiring you out a bit. You see a small opening in the trees below you, and glimpse some sort of movement.
____

Talendir

Shrugging off the effects of the creek without notice, you approach Hedric, who is standing a bit further along the road. He is looking around as if searching for something. You hear branches snapping in a thicker patch of undergrowth than appears normal for this forest (likely it grows better here because of the water; you also see a few gaps in the canopy above shattered, weather-worn tree stumps). A moment later, a dark mass crashes through the bushes, leaping at Hedric. Your first impression is of a bear, though it looks rather slim, and it appears to have some sort of brown sheets covering it, rather than fur. Your eyes harden and your muscles tense, ready to act...
____

Mina

Hesitating for a moment, you reach out and take the sword by the hilt, bringing it closer to examine it. You hardly notice the nymph sigh as she sinks back into her home, flowing away with the current. You attempt to read the runes on the guard [4] and realize that they are in a dialect you have some familiarity with! They are a type of fealty-oath, the sort sworn by a paladin to a master or mistress not of their order, but considered to be a holy figure or great supporter of the cause. It roughly translates as:

By the Light, to this one I am bound for all Eternity. I stand, your sword and shield forevermore.

With this understanding come another feeling [4], a sense of rightness. The sword appears to have a minor blessing, which you guess is linked to the oath. As you raise the blade, a feeling of joy and fervor washes over you.

You hear branches cracking on the far side of the stream.

+5 XP
Blessed Oathsword get (+2 DMG against undead and demonic creatures; reciting the oath gives +1 to your next combat action [once every 3 turns])
____

Hedric

Out of the corner of your eye, you see Talendir approaching, his face all but expressionless. You try to pinpoint the sound and turn to face where you think it came from, just as a large shape comes barreling toward you! You draw your arm back to throw a knife, shrugging your shoulder in such a way as to make it drop into your hand from the hidden sheath on your arm... [3] only to realize that you don't have any throwing knives, only your sheathed dirk! Thinking quickly, you palm a silver mark and toss the heavy coin at the incoming figure [4 + 1] v. [1], striking it squarely in the head. You hear a sound akin to wood cracking as it stumbles to a halt, trying to shake off the hit. Bits of its face fall to the forest floor.

Lose 1 Silver Mark (retrievable from the ground)
____

Talendir and Hedric:

You carefully watch the beast for a few instants as it blinks, stunned. It is some sort of bear, but with large sections of its hide replaced (grown over, perhaps?) with thick bark, green leaves and shoots sprouting from various parts of its body. A large wild rose sprouts from its left eye; the right is bloodshot. A fracture runs along the bark of its snout and forehead, bits crumbling off and falling. It grunts, looking up to face towards the two of you, and bares its teeth.

Sinterous:

You hear some sort of grunting up ahead, near where Talendir and Hedric are standing. There is some sort of large, dark mass in front of them, but you aren't sure what it is.

3. Run Resize Enable

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: The Forest That Keeps On Giving
« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2012, 08:33:24 pm »

Talendir stares at the beast without an ounce of enthusiasm. First a paladin and now this.

The soldier felt like just turning his back to the creature and walking away, but it was fairly obvious it would attack him while he did so.

Attack the creature.

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:26 pm »

"It's stabilized, by the way. I don't think i could walk very well, but it's not bleeding."

MP: 23/40 (Regens 5 MP/turn)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2012, 08:45:58 pm »

"I assume you want to be dropped off before I investigate that?"
Aero spiraled into the clearing, making sure to get a birds-eye view of whatever's happening.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:22:54 pm by Spinal_Taper »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36