Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Ballista bolts drop z-levels?  (Read 1023 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do Ballista bolts drop z-levels?
« on: June 05, 2012, 01:47:27 pm »

So I know that siege operators, being civilian, turn and run when they see enemies. So I was thinking what about placing Ballistas on a tower a few z-levels high? Can they aim at enemies from a few z-levels high like crossbows? And will they still run away when enemies get near?
Feeling down? Click Here!

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Ballista bolts drop z-levels?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:51:58 pm »

They do drop, but once they drop below the level they were fired from, they lose all lethality. i.e.; yes they drop, but they'll no longer kill.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »

They travel along 1-z level only once fired, unless the recent minecart parabolic physics has made any changes. If they hit a wall (or map edge) or somesuch along a trench, they will drop into the hole and be recoverable instead of becoming the usual broken bolt symbol. Dropping them onto things might hurt. Lpts of them in a hurled minecart has been hown to be both highly effective and hilarious.
This is a blank sig.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »

Oh I see, that's too bad..

Are there any other ways to prevent or at least increase the time the siege operator will actually operate before carping their pants and running?
Feeling down? Click Here!

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:18:01 pm »

Get them a healthcare plan that covers vision.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:21:42 pm »

Wide trenches to keep enemies back from the ballistae bunker works well. Ballistae bolts, like arrows and crossbow bolts, will pass through vertical bars, so consider using them to create a winding path for enemies to follow in the kill zone of your ballistae. Building destroyers will smash these bars up though...

Or as suggested, blind them using a suitable syndrome, if one can be obtained from a trapped beast. Soldiers invalided out of service with blinding eye wounds on top of other spinal/nerve/limb issues are also useful
This is a blank sig.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:34:50 pm »

Only in DF is purposefully blinding the guys who are going to be firing your ballistas considered a good idea.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 06:01:54 pm »

How would you fill the minecart with magma? I don't think dwarves can scoop up magma with buckets, can they?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 07:05:32 pm »

You have to drive the minecart through magma. A pool or magma fall should both work.

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:10:21 pm »

Im not too sure about the magmafall, i know that a waterfall does not work, and loading water is only posible by submerging the cart and having rollers below set to pull the cart out.
I assume magma is the same, just with magmasafe stuff

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 08:22:09 am »

balista an catapult ammo passes throug fortifications, much safer than grates or bars.

And yes, you can create a rain of damaging stones or balista bolts. They just won't do much more than bruise and ocasionally break something, just like regular falling items. Just make sure the machines are somewhere without LOS by the time the enemy gets in range, which is easy by putting it 10 tiles back or so and 3 up. Just try not to destroy any ammo, boulders are a lot rarer now. Your siege engines will simply fire straight ahead, the ammo will hit a wall at the far end, drop through the hole you left there and land a few levels below. Make sure the hole(s) can be blocked in case of fliers

btw, is loud whispers on vacation? he's usually the first to suggest removal of the eyeballs for non-essential (non military) personnel
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 09:20:31 am »

balista an catapult ammo passes throug fortifications, much safer than grates or bars.

Only if fired from right next to them. Building a maze out of fortifications would be silly if you expected the bolts to pass through 5 or 6 of them to reach thier target. Yes, protect the ballista with them, but build the winding path from bars which do not afect the projectiles motion.
This is a blank sig.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:58:00 pm »

Only if fired from right next to them. Building a maze out of fortifications would be silly if you expected the bolts to pass through 5 or 6 of them to reach thier target. Yes, protect the ballista with them, but build the winding path from bars which do not afect the projectiles motion.

Incorrect. Ballista bolts can pass through fortifications at any range without trouble, unlike crossbow bolts which get blocked unless fired from directly adjacent.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 01:21:33 pm »

Really? Welcome news to me.
This is a blank sig.