Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Generator/Turbine  (Read 3101 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generator/Turbine
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 04:58:14 pm »

Ah, there is a thread on making a dead simple aquifer power plant somewhere around here. You dig a big hole in the aquifer level, building a bunch of waterwheels over it as you go. Then you build a pump that pumps water from the hole, back into the hole. You have a dwarf start the pump. Then you stop the pump. Viola! Now the entire hole behaves like a river: it has permanent flow, even though nothing is moving. Permanent power that never dries up and does not impact your FPS at all, because no water in the system is below 7/7.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 12:03:57 pm »

aquifer power system is orders of magnitude better than any DWR design - Until you have no aquifer, then they kinda suck... They are also not very newb friendly.

Au contraire - Aquifers are quite simple to get unlimited power from

Your design's not bad, but the layout is semi-redundant - You could just build parallel rows of waterwheels connected by gearboxes down the length of that stream as far as you want, rather than dig out that channel into the side of it.  And if you need to expand it, just widen the river by channeling down one side of it from the level above.

Yes, but you're a genius, so you don't count :P

The idea was to have a safe, underground, near-infinite power source, without the use of aquifers, hence the river redirection.
Your suggestion of stuffing the river full of waterwheels rigged to a central drive shaft works as well, though after building my design and realising that I'm practically diverting the entire river underground into safety, I may as well build a massive pile of waterwheels :P though, I've only recently started building "megaprojects" outside of fortifications.

Tower reactors are considerably more efficient and don't require a river.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 09:09:48 pm »

What's a tower reactor?  Also, keep in mind it's apparently the OP's first time meddling with power generation

Ah, there is a thread on making a dead simple aquifer power plant somewhere around here. You dig a big hole in the aquifer level, building a bunch of waterwheels over it as you go. Then you build a pump that pumps water from the hole, back into the hole. You have a dwarf start the pump. Then you stop the pump. Viola! Now the entire hole behaves like a river: it has permanent flow, even though nothing is moving. Permanent power that never dries up and does not impact your FPS at all, because no water in the system is below 7/7.

Already linked it myself on the previous page

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 11:14:49 am »

What's a tower reactor?  Also, keep in mind it's apparently the OP's first time meddling with power generation

Already linked it myself on the previous page

In simple terms, a tower reactor combines the functions of a pump stack and a reactor, with a whole bunch of waterwheels built up on top of each other, fed by a pumpstack that they power. It allows for very large amounts of power to be generated in relatively small areas, and has the advantages of allowing easy access to power at any point along its height, and the production of mist along its height for easy routing into the fortress area of your choice. It also provides a large, mobile volume of water that can be put to many uses.
Pages: 1 [2]