Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Viable eggs?  (Read 930 times)

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Viable eggs?
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:36 pm »

I have a small issue that my forum search foo has failed to remedy. Is there a way to see if the eggs a female lays are viable IE, will hatch? thanks.
"here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" -PsychicKid

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Viable eggs?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:34:30 pm »

As I understand it, if you have a male of the same species and nothing kicks the female off of the nest box your eggs should hatch eventually. Be sure to forbid them from 't', or find some other way to keep dwarves from walking off with them.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 06:49:09 pm »

So, in other words, no.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:21:10 pm »

According to the wiki:

There may be no way of telling whether or not eggs have been fertilized, but if they sit in a nest box for more than two seasons, they are unlikely to ever hatch.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »

Thanks! i didn't know hens actually used the eggs to have baby's! ill be using this knowledge in my lp!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Grinly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:55:37 pm »

I've been putting my turkeys into their own individual rooms with locked doors. If new turkeys pop out, I unlock the door and have them pastured while they wait to mature. If I see miasma, I know the eggs weren't fertilized and I send in a dwarf to clean them up. Seem to work pretty well :)

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:52:06 pm »

Thanks! i didn't know hens actually used the eggs to have baby's! ill be using this knowledge in my lp!

I hope you mean in dwarf fortress and not real life! :-P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 03:19:06 am »

I hope you mean in dwarf fortress and not real life! :-P

If he legitimately thought chickens didn't use eggs to reproduce, he would likely also be incapable of playing DF. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:17:57 am »

Episode 1 : season 2

http://youtu.be/f_E6uhcMB8k

(how do you show the vid on the forums?)
You can't afaik. We can do links, images, and emails apparently, but we can't embed videos.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.