Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?  (Read 13626 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 04:33:27 pm »

Presumably this thread will end up locked soon, though.  I know I reported it.
Probably best actually, Toady should be awake in an hour and a half.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »

Totally watching this thread.
Love, scriver~

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 04:35:58 pm »

I'm sad Toady has to read it. What a idiot is this guy.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 04:36:05 pm »

Imagine Da Vinci sitting in Milan painting The Last Supper painting which he invested countless hours of work and even more thought in. A group of people comes by and ask "MAY WE PAINT PLS?". And Leonardo goes "of course you can, grab yourself a brush".

This here is just as bizarre.

And also, if he didn't mind other people programming his game he'd have accepted the offer from a major company a few years ago who wanted to buy the IP from him for about 300k$.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 04:36:42 pm »

The title is frigging hilarious.

Me? Just posting to silly thread.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2012, 04:48:02 pm »

Something tells me you're not American OP, so what do you know about FREEDOM?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2012, 04:48:58 pm »

Something tells me you're not American OP, so what do you know about FREEDOM?
AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2012, 04:50:05 pm »

This sadly looks like a student or other similar young person who has recently discovered the ideals of open source.

Disclaimer: I work for an open source startup, and our core software has been freely available since 2002. I have also been active in several other open-source projects like Squid and Samba for the past fifteen or so years.

Open source is "free as in free speech, not free as in free beer".

Open source is not the be-all-end-all solution to software development. It does not work in all situations.

Toady's development model (and most games in general) are not well-suited to the open source development model. There are very few opensource games that have even reached medium-levels of success.

I watch other opensource gaming projects (like Jagged Alliance 1.13). They have always, always invariably been hampered by the lack of common vision and the creeping featuritis that have been the hallmark of opensource projects. Without a good manager that is respected enough to lay down the law in terms of features, requirements and deadlines, most such games languish and at best, get themselves to a playable beta state before the good developers give up in exhaustion.

I would tell the OP to get some more experience in software development, volunteer for a project or two. And then come back and if he still feels this way, make his own damn game.

And i mean, if he was a genius-level autistic programmer it could be reasonable to code hundreds of features in his own style and keep lesser men from interrupting, but he is not.

Oh but he is. He is.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:52:50 pm by Langdon »

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2012, 05:07:15 pm »

This sadly looks like a student or other similar young person who has recently discovered the ideals of open source.

For me it was like a space-time portal had opened from Slashdot.org in 1998 and free-software fundamentalists were slipping through. (Sort of like in Half-Life.) I don't think there really are any more of those guys, not when the biggest contributors to the big free/open source software projects are the very same big tech companies the free-software hippies were trying to lead a revolt against.

I, personally, earn a very good living as an enterprise software engineer for a multi-billion dollar corporation which uses either open-source software or custom in-house software for almost every application. And yet somehow we are a capitalist, for-profit organization and not a hippie commune. Open-source works a lot better as a way to develop software on the cheap, than it did as a political statement, huh? :D

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Poe's Law
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »

For me it was like a space-time portal had opened from Slashdot.org in 1998 and free-software fundamentalists were slipping through. (Sort of like in Half-Life.) I don't think there really are any more of those guys, not when the biggest contributors to the big free/open source software projects are the very same big tech companies the free-software hippies were trying to lead a revolt against.

I think Poe's law is in effect here.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »

I don't store my finances in form of information, because it's stupid and gives banks freedom to create money virtually from air. I receive my pay in paper currency, and would be willing to go with something more physical, like gold coins, if our government wasn't so fascist.

All money is created virtually from air, due to supply and demand, due to things people have and want. Without a market for such things, nothing has worth and there is no money, so once again you're claiming something could be better if it didn't exist.

you don't understand economics, sorry.

Actually, you don't. Paper currency and coins only have value because everyone decides that it does. Gold isn't that useful for anything except jewelry because its easy to dent and bend. Hell, diamonds aren't even that rare. Why do these things cost so much? They're shiny. One day, during the dawn of civilization, something like this happened:

Early River Valley City State Dweller 1: Hey ERVCSD 2! Look at this stuff! [holds out diamonds and gold nuggets]
ERVCSD 2: Oh my Bronze age era gods, it's shiny!
ERVCSD 1: I know!
ERVCSD 2: We gotta show this to eveyone back at City State!
[They return to city state]
ERVCSD 1: Hey everybody! Look at this shiny stuff!
Everyone: Holy crap it's shiny! Let's assign it value!

In fact, if one day everyone decided "Screw coins and paper currency! From now on, geckos will be the unit of value!" all the money in the world would become worthless and geckos would become the world currency. Hell, I can' think of anything stopping us from doing that.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2012, 05:35:14 pm »

*coughs*

Gold has a lot of industrial uses. Very ductile, super malleable, fairly reflective.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poe's Law
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 05:39:25 pm »

I think Poe's law is in effect here.

I know, but I'm responding for nostalgia's sake. Sometimes I miss 1998.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 05:52:13 pm »

*coughs*

Gold has a lot of industrial uses. Very ductile, super malleable, fairly reflective.

So do diamonds, actually.  They can also be produced synthetically, though DeBeers is quite apprehensive of that.  Wonder what would happen if tech advances enough that someone wants to sell "cultured diamonds" in big quantities....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2012, 06:36:55 pm »

B12's ability to effortlessly transmute threads from RAEG into socioeconomics discussions never ceases to amaze me.

Like alchemy, but nerdier.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6