Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?  (Read 13621 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 03:46:16 pm »

Best investment is not living with savages.

We try not to, but somehow they just find our neighborhood, scream and rage about how we won't give them everything they want, throw their excrement around, and then either wander off on their own or are shown out by the authorities.

This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 03:48:00 pm »

Nogibator, would you be willing to give me access to all of your finances? It is only right that we make the open source so we can make it so much better than it already is! Also if you want an open source game of DF the closest I can give you is Dungeon Master on byond, and that game went severely downhill when it went open source.

(I know some of you will diss that game but, if it wasn't for that very byond game I would have never found DF.)

I don't store my finances in form of information, because it's stupid and gives banks freedom to create money virtually from air. I receive my pay in paper currency, and would be willing to go with something more physical, like gold coins, if our government wasn't so fascist.
But the banks deserve the rights to your finances just like how the government has the open source to use anything except gold coins you leftist nut.
Although by now I'm pretty sure this guy is just a troll now.

You are just spewing nonsense. Government have open-source for coins? What?

Also you people seem to have great internet discussion tactics:
1. insult you opponent
2. if he isn't lovering himself to your level of argumentation call him a troll
3. repeat

It is impossible to have a real discussion with you because you have a religious belief in the open-source movement.  You think there should be no such thing as intellectual property and that all source code should be totally free.  As someone who actually creates software for a living, the idea of just letting people have my work because they think they are entitled to it is obviously absurd.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 03:51:09 pm »

When Hurricane Katrina hit, shit went down.
Imagine this scenario:
There are 4 people:
Person A has a car
Person B has food and water
Person C has medical supplies
Person D has a gun

At the end of the day, guess who has everything? So, what is the best investment?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Best investment is not living with savages.
Good luck with that, at least on this planet.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 03:54:17 pm »

It is impossible to have a real discussion with you because you have a religious belief in the open-source movement.  You think there should be no such thing as intellectual property and that all source code should be totally free.  As someone who actually creates software for a living, the idea of just letting people have my work because they think they are entitled to it is obviously absurd.

I just like the idea of df, but I find it very disgraceful that it stalls because of developer and community being stubbornly conservative.

I'll go to sleep now, I have work tomorrow.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 03:57:27 pm »

And proof of these "stalls"? You think DF would be better with more people working on it because...?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »

I just like the idea of df, but I find it very disgraceful that it stalls because of developer and community being stubbornly conservative.

I'll go to sleep now, I have work tomorrow.

So basically you want DF to be open-sourced so that it can become more than it currently is.  That's not an unreasonable thing to want.  What IS unreasonable, though, is that you think you are entitled to the fruits of Toady's labor just because you want it.  He created it and it belongs to him - you don't have a right to it just because it exists.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Troll alert
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 04:04:24 pm »

I'm a big believer in FOSS, but this isn't the way.  If you want something like that, write your own game.

We're being trolled here.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 04:04:44 pm »

The creator of Liberal Crime Squad is stubbornly conservative.

I ... I ... what?

I just can't deal.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 04:12:49 pm »

I don't store my finances in form of information, because it's stupid and gives banks freedom to create money virtually from air. I receive my pay in paper currency, and would be willing to go with something more physical, like gold coins, if our government wasn't so fascist.

I'd just like to requote this. Remember folks, it's all about freedom. His freedom, specifically, not anyone else's.

I can't tell if this is a troll or just someone exceptionally bitter that they can't modify/copy DF's source code. Because this honestly reads like someone angry that they have to put in the same amount of work Toady did to get what they want.

And to that I say: boo hoo. Spend less time talking and more time learning to code. Many people's dissatisfaction with DF being closed source has led them to create their own games.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:14:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 04:13:43 pm »

Contrary to popular belief, Richard Stallman and the FSF are not the deities of open source or free software. They only represent a minority of free software zealots and the majority of free and open source are actually reasonable and intelligent individuals who thinks open source is valuable and beneficial to society but don't try to force their beliefs on others.

Toady is respecting your freedom, your freedom to don't play the game and the freedom to don't donate. Those are all freedoms you have here and contrary to what the FSF made you think you don't deserve anything.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2012, 04:15:00 pm »

Whilst Nogibator clearly appears to have a terribly flawed ideology of how the digital age functions and an almost complete absence of maturity I have considered this idea a few times:

• How can additional developers be introduced into the creative maturity of Dwarf Fortress and what if anything would this add to the game?
  • Priorities in fulfilling this objective would include Tarn retaining his authority, being support himself and not diluting the experience with a cesspool of lesser versions, right?
  • How would an open source method conform to this? Could a developers API similar to Minecraft's work?
  • How about unpaid apprenticeships? One could learn a lot under Tarn's tutelage and I expect many would leap at the opportunity.

Of course there's then the question of whether that would be a good thing, personally my answer would be no but it's definitely worth considering :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:20:45 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2012, 04:19:33 pm »

This is Toady's magnum opus, correct?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2012, 04:24:21 pm »

I know that when I want someone to give me something, I yell at and insult them.  That usually brings out the best in people.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 04:28:08 pm »

I can't tell if this is a troll or just someone exceptionally bitter that they can't modify/copy DF's source code. Because this honestly reads like someone angry that they have to put in the same amount of work Toady did to get what they want.

It's a troll.  The way the real advocates deal with it is to write their own games, of which there are many.  You can find a ton (both free & otherwise) on the Roguelike Wiki.

Presumably this thread will end up locked soon, though.  I know I reported it.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »

You seriously have no comprehension at all of Toady's development plan. Can this just get closed? You're just being a jackass.

It's not your property, it's not your free right to edit a game's source code written by scratch by a man who quit his job as a professor to work on. Case closed.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6